Posts by Joptunes

I have owned both of these, and let me state I am biased to PRS as they are my favorite all the way around.

Currently have a full Brazilian 513, so it may be slightly different to the one you are looking at if its a mahogany neck with Brazilian fretboard. I love the pickup options and sound combinations available, 13 settings! I lean mostly to fixed necks as well so that helps me give the nod to the PRS. Can't beat the fit and finish as well.

The Steve morse is an awesome guitar as well with a bunch of pickup options. Build quality is good, more of a Tele feel in terms of body/neck shapes, but doesn't sound like a Tele! The Morse will be lower output compared to the PRS. If there is one thing I would change on the 513 it would be the output level of the pickups.

You can't go wrong with either one, but if you asked me to pick which one first I would pick the PRS. Then get the morse later of course!

There are a number of items that can alter your KPA tone before hitting the IEMs. I did a quick check comparing the headphone out of the KPA, to the Aviom outputs for our monitor mix. There was a very small difference when I was the only person playing and listening with a critical ear. Once the band joins in, you can't hear a difference.

My UEs sound great out of the box, and have dual drivers. They are not over hyped on the low end, but that keeps the bass nice and tight and keeps the low end distortion to a minimum. Personal preference on that point.

Only thing I'm missing today is the room ambience in our IEM setup. Everything is straight from the board with no room or verb ambience included. This will sound unnatural and most people won't like it. I keep the 12db ambient filter in so I get some room feel without being too muddy.

Takes time to get used to, but so far so good.
    Sean

I am using a set of ultimate ears custom pro 4s. They are the cheapest level of custom mold IEMs they offer, and they sound great. I play a lot at church where they want a very low stage volume. They sound great and allow me to dial in everything the way I want to hear it.

We use the aviom monitoring system so everyone has personal control of 16 channels of audio.

UE offers an option where you can control how much ambient or room sound you want to hear with several filters.

I used to love the feel and sound of a cranked tube amp, but now with the kemper I am not missing it too much and focusing more on pure tones any my playing.

Sean

I believe you need bank commands from your midi controller for performance mode. So the first message will say what bank, then the second message will dictate which slot is selected in that bank.

The normal PC assignments are to get to the rigs in browse mode.

Check if your midi controller supports sending these type of midi messages.

Sean

Kerman, two way communications is new feature in KPA. It used to just listen or receive incoming midi messages. Now it will send out information via the midi out connector. In the video this is how the LF+ is self learning the patch information. Pretty cool integration and should save a lot of time programming.

Does the linked pedal feature work only when using expression pedals through midi device and cc controllers?

When I use an expression pedal connected directly to the KPA I couldn't get this to switch between Wah and volume pedals.

Not sure if I need to adjust a setting or if its designed just to work through cc messages.

Scenario: expression pedal plugged directly into KPA. Wah assigned in slot A. In system menu I checked the link volume to Wah setting on the midi page. Tried with Wah effect assigned and in bypass mode, and tried it with a profile that didn't have a Wah assigned. I couldn't get the pedal to work for volume at all.

Thanks for any help and feedback.
    This new release is a major step forward.

Sean

Played around a bit with performance mode tonight. Like the concept a lot. At first I didn't realize in each slot you can select different effects settings and not just the ones programmed to the rig in browser mode. Once that light bulb went off I could see a lot of potential in this feature.

Nice being able to integrate this feature with normal midi change commands or using up down buttons.

Sean

Thanks for the feedback.

N, I can do a similar setup with the royer and post those as well. Felt like the royer profiles were getting a phased kind of sound based on the room. I'll work to optimize the environment for the 121 and give it another shot.

Thanks
    Sean

I have to admit that I wasn't blown away by the factory rigs when I first played through the KPA. Now that I've used them for 2-3 months, and understand the editing power in the KPA, there are a lot of killer sounds there.

Definitely look at the profiles on the rig exchange and look to purchase some favorites, but don't dismiss the factory rigs, lots of good stuff there.

For me, the Peter Fischer Fuchs stuff is great, Morgan AC20, Marshall Goloub mods, and a host of others are great sounds to work with.

Explore around the free rigs part of the forum as well.
    The KPA has been my best guitar purchase in a long time, and I would consider myself a tube snob. You're going to love playing with this thing!

Sean

Placed a few updated profiles on the rig exchange today, looking for any feedback.

Very straight forward single SM57, Chandler LTD-1 preamp, loud in a room.

Marshall JTM50 Black Flag Update with Mark Knofler Settings.
    Mojave Ampworks Peacemaker (100 Plexi Style)
    Mojave Ampworks Coyote (dual EL84 style)
    Ceriatone HRM50 Clean and Lead (dumble clone)

Username JOPTUNES if you can't find them.
    any feedback welcomed.
    thanks,
    sean