Posts by no_dice

No outboard processing, just KPA straight into my interface.

Quitty, I'm sorry it took me so long to do another clip. I've been a bit down lately, and messing with the KPA doesn't make me feel any better. I recorded a quick test with the Liquid Leads profile (delay off, volume -8.6, no other adjustments). It's not as offensive as my other clips, but I feel there is still a bit of noise there, but I'll see what you think when testing it yourself.

clip

Thank you so much for taking the time to do such a detailed analysis on my issues. It makes sense that I'm getting interference. However my issue is that I haven't always had it. The recordings on my soundcloud that aren't noise tests were done with my KPA and I had no issues when recording them, and they are all dual or quad-tracked, which I think would make any extraneous noise brutally apparent. Also, I took my KPA to my dad's house and I was getting the noise there too, which tells me it's not just my apartment causing the problem. I've tried in different areas of our apartment as well, so that rules out the PC or any equipment in close proximity to the KPA.

Also, it's not specific to any guitar. The first time it happened, I thought I had a ground issue with the guitar I was playing, until I switched guitars and had the same issue.

I will record some DI tonight and put it on dropbox or something for you. Thanks again for your help.

no_dice, i responded to your post. sorry it took so long. have you tried recording a DI directly to your interface, then SPDIF sending it into the KPA with the input source on the KPA set to SPDIF. This will tell us if the issue has something to do with the Kemper's guitar input. Then send me the DI's and I'll reamp them through my KPA and we can see if the KPA's make different sounds. And I can send you a DI and you can reamp it to test even more thoroughly. I suspect your issue is the profile's response to interference introduced into the signal before it is converted to digital, with a high gain level. The noise suppressor seems to actually makes it worse.

I don't have SPDIF capability on my interface, I don't think. I use a Presonus Inspire 1394. Unless the SPDIF is in the back, I'll have to check when I get home. I can certainly record some dry guitars and send them to you though and see what you get when running them through the KPA. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me. It means a lot.

Also, Pobinr:

My problem profiles all have the pick set to 0.0 so that does nothing for me. :(

That's the problem with the crackling issue. Sometimes it won't do it, and you think you've magically found the cure to stop it, then all of a sudden it comes back.

If you get a chance, try this: unplug your instrument cable from the input jack, put it on a profile that gives you crackling, turn off your noise gates and see what kind of noise it makes with nothing plugged in.

I really hope you can solve what's causing your issues, because then maybe I can fix mine!!

Well, now I'm confused, because my profiler gives me the same problem, but I've never used the SPDIF ever. Is there any chance that the SPDIF settings could affect profiler noise even if I'm not using those I/Os?

If you solve the problem, please let me know. I've already sent mine in for repair once. They replaced the DSP board and it still does the same thing as yours.

Is it worse on some profiles than others? Do you play high gain patches at all? If so, do you notice it being extremely worse?

You're confusing me a bit. First you said a power conditioner should help, and then you said it wouldn't? I actually have set a tube screamer to max before and the result was not quite like this. I don't have time to record anything right now, as I need to get to work, but I will record something tonight.

For right now, though, I will repost this clip from earlier. The first half is with no cable in the input, and the second half is with a guitar in:

link

G#1 is approx. 50Hz and is indeed ground loop noise. Turning off electrical devices in the room, using a power conditioner and touching the base of the guitar plug should solve that - maybe not completely, but it shouldn't be noticeable when you play anyway.

In my original clip I posted, there were two sections where a power conditioner was used and it made zero difference in the sound. I've taken my KPA to other places and used different guitars and it also has this issue. EDIT: Also, if it were a ground loop issue, wouldn't it be a constant noise, and not intermittent?

As I've said before, I'm no stranger to high gain amps. I've owned several, and I've never had one give me this strange buzzing noise when a note rings out. Other users have even commented, saying it doesn't sound right, so it's frustrating to be told that it's perfectly normal, as if I'm crazy or something.

Okay, I've spoken to another user, and he tested his KPA with the same profile and said he does not get the same noises as I do. Even my wife, who takes no notice of my guitar playing at all, commented about the noise. I'm not making this stuff up out of some crazy desire to have problems with my equipment.

Is there any chance it could be a problem with a setting in my KPA and not a hardware issue? Could possibly sending a backup to support help?

Also, with no cable plugged in, there is intermittent noise that registers on the tuner around G#1/A1. What the heck is going on with my KPA?

Thank you for your prompt response CK. The only reason it makes me panic is because I did not have these issues when I first got the KPA. Even the tech who worked on my KPA said he could not get it to make the sound in my recordings. I also have rigs with much higher gain settings and an OD in front that don't make the noise as severely. But if you say this is normal, then I guess I just have to tweak my settings until I can get that noise to a manageable level. Thanks again.

-The noise is only there when playing, unless I turn off the noise gate. When the noise gate is off, the sound is reduced by turning down the volume pot, but not eliminated.

-In the rig I've been using to demonstrate, the gain is at 6.2

-There is a green scream in slot A on the rig I used to demonstrate, set at Drive 2.0 Tone +0.3 Volume +0.7. Disabling the green scream does reduce the noise a bit, but it dulls the tone, and the noise is still there.

-The noise is most prevalent in very high gain rigs (including factory ones), which is unfortunate since those are the main ones I use! It seems the more gain on a profile, the worse the noise gets (an obvious conclusion, I guess haha).

and for meambobbo, I took it to another room and plugged into the outlet on the brand new breaker and tried with headphones. It actually seemed like the noise was worse out there!

At times the noise is actually audible over the guitar notes, but it hasn't done it when I've been recording test clips to show you guys.

I did unplug the input cable and turn off the noise gate and it does make noise, but I think it's made worse when the guitar is feeding it signal.

When I get off work I will record the noise it makes with no noise gate, with and without guitar signal, and I will record the noise that washes in at the tail of notes on clean sounds. Is there anything else it would be helpful for me to record?

The rig in the first 3 sections of my demo clip is Chris Munday's Cobra Crunch link , and the last section is Thomas Van Beeck's TOTW 04 link, just with a noise gate, and some slight EQ to roll off the extreme highs and lows.