Posts by JAC

Actually, AFAIK, this is all assembly code for a DSP that has no future beyond this generation of Kemper Profiler. This is code that is basically not portable to anything.

Obviously the editor isn't written in assembly code but it's surprising that the Kemper OS binary isn't compiled from some high-level language like C.

There's some established wisdom for why software companies shouldn't draft in extra help at this stage: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/…th#The_mythical_man-month

Aside from that, there's probably legal (read ownership) issues for keeping development in-house. It seems like it's taking a long time but Kemper is developing a codebase that has the potential to be used for decades (e.g. future hardware releases for other instruments). The same goes for the delays, reverbs and (hopefully) drive algorithms.

There's also a page in the System menu with a "Calibrate" button for the expression pedal; you should see a little bar corresponding to the current position of the pedal that moves when you move the pedal. It should give you some indication that the signal is being received by the Kemper. I have the same expression pedal and it works very well.

He has a Marshall endorsement, and he's promoting Yamaha's THR5 as a practice amp. There's youtube videos ( promoting his previous album) where he's playing through his Kemper at home. There's also fairly recent instagram photos where you can see a Roland micro cube and a Fender amp.

I'd speculate that, as a gear nerd, the "kemper remote buttons being too close together" was just a polite excuse for not wanting to change the way he works: i.e. building and tinkering with new pedal board configurations for each tour.

I have an ehx mono synth and a digitech freqout (on the good advice of quite a few people here) .

Stuff like an arpeggiator would also be cool but more like a diversion. For me, i dont think the earthquaker arpinator is worth the cost, although youtube videos are enticing.

Same. I don't dislike the way it's implemented but I was surprised. I don't think the way preset selection is implemented is as clear as it could be. I'd rather see type select effect type as previously had been the case and browse open a filtered list of presets relevant only to the selected effect . I'd imagine that would have been both clearer and easier to implement.

I disagree; the presets all mixed together in one menu was always a hassle, but selecting a type like wah (or something else from the end of the list) from the previous setup started to become annoying too, what with all the extra delays and reverbs. I had actually hoped that they'd use a 3 tier system that they have in place now, it's so convenient and very scalable.

You could also try updating .net framework manually if you havent already. Hey, you could even go through the win7 updates and check each update to see if its worth installing.

Theres lists of patches that contain the backported telemetry updates that you can avoid (or uninstall).

I moved off of win10 for similar reasons and I do miss the rig manager, but I find I spend more time with the profiles that i have, instead of auditioning new ones from the rig exchange.

It will be interesting to see what the actual version of the firmware bundled with the Kemper Stage is. It could be a 6.5, with only the preset management but without the acoustic sim and other features, or it could be 7.0 with everything (and maybe more) mentioned at NAMM.

All software with any degree of complication has bugs, and to release a non-public-beta-tested version with the new hardware is no different than launching the original toaster with version 1.x OS, except for the fact that the new OS has years of fixes already baked into it. I'm sure enough testing has been carried out on the Stage to ensure that it operates in a reliable fashion.

before this entire discussion drags on and on, let me fill everybody in on a couple of details. the majority of our engineers is on holiday right now. we've hoped to get things done before the holiday season started but as you can see, we didn't manage. at the same time, we don't want to release a beta version of something as big as the Rig Manager Editor and have no engineers at our disposal. i'm sure you'll understand that. so, when everybody is back, we'll finish things up and you'll get a beta. until then, enjoy the summer, enjoy your guitar. it's the most beautiful time of the year ...

For those that haven't seen it, from earlier today in the Rig Manager 3.0 thread.

I just got a marketing email from Andertons with the Stage on it.

This has been a good social media buzz campaign well done and it’s great that they had partners such as Andertons who could keep quiet despite obviously having known this for a while.

I keep checking this site excitedly for editor / new OS details as I am hopeful that these too are close :)

The Kemper Profiler Stage has a new OS running on it; the new preset UI can be seen on the tutorial video Syntek posted above, just after the 11 minute mark.

We could therefore infer that a new version of the OS for the existing units is also close.

I would expect the OS version being shipped with the floor units to be a proper release (i.e. non-beta), so it's surprising that we havent seen any betas for 7.0 yet (if indeed it is just around the corner).

Looking back at the video in the original post, what strikes me the most is the reference to piracy, which opens up the whole can of worms on the morals of profiling amps. That youtube guy, EytschPi42, went on a similar train of thought a few years ago.

I don't know, it's easy to feel bad for the boutique amp makers, but at the end of the day, nobody owes them a living. I don't think you 'own' a sound or tone because you built an amp that generates it and I don't think it's right trying to guilt people out of buying the new technologies that provide greater convenience and variety.

As someone who went for the Kemper instead of a traditional amp for volume considerations, if there was no profiling amp, I would have bought some kind of tube amp; and possibly more than one eventually, but so what? Friedman should get with the program and bring out some gear that emulates a bunch of mooer pedals, or something.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

So many different different presets! I only got my Ehx Mono synth a couple of months ago :wacko:

Yes, that's possible. If you long-press the "effects" button, you can save the current X, MOD, DLY and REV to a single preset by pressing the Store button, and recall existing presets using the Browse knob. This also works for the Stomps section.

By "lift a finger" you mean "invest limited resources in obsolete products" right? ;)

Ha, yes that's exactly what I mean! I didn't intend to imply that MS should provide perpetual support for win7. It is what it is. But just for the want of something better to say, I'll add that the product wouldn't be considered obsolete in the first place if they actually did continue to invest some of those limited resources in it :/ Anyway, kempers are great!