Posts by nightlight

Congratulations! I find that what you put through a set of speakers contributes to their tonal characteristics in later life. So rather than playing drums, bass, etc, just play your guitar through the thing. It'll only be 24 hours of playing, so I'm sure you'll have them well-settled within a week's time ;)

Last, I have to say (in a most friendly way) that I can't agree with nighlight's POW: the contents of the document belong to the forum (well, to the forums actually, they're taken from several places on the Net) but this can't lead to the concept that then the wiKPA logo is public as well: the logo is the result of a private and personal research and effort, and has nothing to do with the contents of the document in itself.

No, no! What I was referring to was the actual contents within the pdf document. Stuff said by people like Mr CK, etc, are the focus of the document, it appeared to me, but perhaps I didn't read too far in. In that sense, staking claim to what was said by someone else wouldn't be appropriate. ^^

After all, there's no monopoly on having a wiki, but there is a question of who thought up WiKPA. But other than the black forest cake incident, it's been amazing at how polite this "confrontation" has been.

As far as the logo, I've stated that I would be far less polite than you if I felt someone had stolen my idea. :thumbdown: wiKPA is a good name and considering all the fuss around this issue, it is clear you should have been consulted before the name was used. :whistling:

Even if you might not have ownership in legal terms, but I would boycott something if I found it was ripped off, no matter how good the product is. That includes pirated music, books, movies, etc :thumbup:

I wasn't labrat, it was me. ;)
    The name problem (my mistake) is solved ... but you're welcome to wait for Gianfranco to reconfirm.
    The Wiki can already be filled with content, independent from the domain name. The Wiki will remain and the worst thing that could happen is a change of domain name. But as I mentioned above, we're fine now. :)

Cheers,
    Martin

I like your comment. "I wasn't labrat, it was me" : :thumbup:

Poor labrat, being accused of a crime he didn't commit.

I think Gianfranco has been super nice and polite about this actually. I, for one, can be really overbearing and vicious if I felt someone stole something I considered my intellectual output. Sure, it would just deteriorate into name calling and all kinds of accusations. After all, there's no monopoly on having a wiki, but there is a question of who thought up WiKPA. But other than the black forest cake incident, it's been amazing at how polite this "confrontation" has been.

[quote='troynova','index.php?page=Thread&postID=94546#post94546']
    About the Wikpa name:
    We are constantly going to replace the abbreviation KPA by the nape "Profiler" in the future, i suggest to have a Wiki name with "Profiler" (or Kemper) included. That could also solve the name discussion.

CK

But Mr CK, WiKPA sounds so cool! Especially pronounced Wick-P-A, a la Wikipedia. It's well understood here that KPA is the Kemper Profiling Amplifier, the WiKPA has a nice ring to it!

Of course, everything hinges on viabcroce saying things are ok by him. We still haven't heard back. While I think labrat had the right intention in setting up a wiki, it wasn't a good idea to take the name without consulting the originator.

Though to be honest, I always thought the name WiKPA was just community property, since many of the quotes therein are those of community members.

Flat. No frequency should be accentuated or buried under. If you look at the frequency response like a graph, it would be a flat line.

Of course, it's just a theoretical situation. As of now, there is no absolutely flat speaker, or reference monitor for that matter.

In the modeling world, it is important not to stray too far from a neutral uncolored sounding monitor. The more
    faithful the reproduction of sound, the closer the profile is to the original amp. If you have hyped speakers, the tendency is to tweak your profile to compensate. Now your FOH feed is affected. Its a losing battle.

Use a set of reference monitors or studio headphones as your 'standard" for tweaking your tones and pick an FRFR solution that sounds good to your ears without reworking/adjusting your rigs. If your monitoring solutions are too different, keeping your tone consistent is a daunting task.

bd

From a certain point of view, this is a win some time-lose some time situation everytime. It is highly unlikely that the FOH is going to be an FRFR system with absolutely flat speakers throughout the venue. So the audience will be hearing something different and you will hear something different. The catch is, is what you are hearing better? Or are those speakers sounding better to the audience?

I too think that a reference monitor or FRFR speaker wins over coloured speakers. Its sort of like a recording, where you want things to translate across as many different listening devices as possible, i.e. headphones, hi-fi speakers, car stereo, etc. With any speaker that has "character", there's a chance that things will sound vastly different across different settings, i.e. at home, in the jampad, on stage.

That's kind of the point I was driving at in my post. Personally, I would want as neutral a response as possible from my monitors or my speakers when using a modelling device (or a Profiler). The idea being that what I was hearing was the sound created by the device and not the sounds added by a speaker cone, or a preamp.

But this is not necessarily the "best sounding speaker", if you catch my drift. When I am playing at home, in my room, or in some other setting, one type of power amp, or FRFR amp or cabinet will sound better than others. This is most likely due to room characteristics, or other environmental parameters. Maybe even the weather and how humid it is.

IMO, the difference between "the best sounding" and the "most FRFR" boils down to how the sound will translate across different listening environments. Of course, tone is subjective, so one mans neutral might be another man's dull, or another man's cutting through the mix could be some dude's screechy.

So on that note, anyone care to reinforce MartinJ's ranking? Or offer another one altogether? :thumbup: