Posts by Greg

Those are the same Tortex I use. I have a pack of red Jazz 3's I haven't touched cause I'm a creature of habit. It feels weird holding something so small lol. I like the tortex a lot when playing like punk rock.. but might try and wean myself into Jazz for more precise picking styles. Trem picking does feel kinda out of control with the tortex lol.

I know exactly what you mean, and I almost gave up! It took about 2 weeks of daily playing to stop 'losing' the jazz3 in my fingers - but now it feels like the complete opposite and I can't imagine how I fit ALL of the tortex one in my hand hehe

That's too bad. Live, I run my LR Baggs Anthem SL into a Mooer Radar pedal running the 3 Sigma Takamine and Martin IRs. I've been pleased with them. Do they sound like a mic? Not really. But they sort of add that bloom and listening distance that mics give you.

Gforce guitar, depending on your guitar setup, production style, and how "super" you need your results, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the 3 Sigma IRs to you. Particularly the Takamine pack. You'll just import them into Cab Maker and then into your KPA like other speaker IRs, then load one into a patch an bypass the Stomps, Amp, and Effects sections.

Absolutely agree that mileage may vary - their demos sounded so FANTASTIC, that even though they didn't work out for me, I'm still glad to have got them - as they are not expensive...and if someone comes to my place with a different acoustic/piezo equipped thingy, then they may be perfect. Options are always good to have! :)

I would also have gone the EMI route - everything from motors, fluorescent lighting, other musical gear in the room (or adjacent practice rooms etc) can introduce pops, clicks, whooshes, static, splasplunks and all kinds of exciting and very annoying noises.

Did any of the ground lift buttons have any effect?

As a few have said, the issues are due to the break angle - and the binding this causes in the nut.

It has been this way since the day they were made, so the binding isn't a QC issue. Their nuts have always been like this.

The only fix needed is to have the nut cut, and by all means, take it to a luthier for it to be done. I'd think it is the most common job any luthier will do on a Les Paul so it should be no problem for them to do it effectively.

Lubricating is something to do 'on top' of having the nut cut properly, and if you fancy, have a better grade nut installed that is then cut properly.

The string butlers do work, and are non-destructive, which is a big plus - but cutting the nut properly is the proper fix and will sort out the G issue.

I used the same orange dunlop tortex for 20 years....and then changed to a jazz 3 because I wondered what all the fuss was about - and to see if it would make me more 'accurate' - when I listen to isolated parts from what I recorded in that time, compared to now, there is a huge difference in attack...and it now feels like I'm trying to play with a shoe or something if I happen to pick an old one up.

I think the difference in picks is almost as pronounced on electric as on an acoustic...mad innit!

Cant wait for Kemper 2 to come out...

So I can also gobble up at least 2 more Kemper '1's'...

It sounds like an amp...so it can't get any better in terms of tone.

FX...of course, they can be improved...but please dont think they're 'bad'....its just that they're not yet as good as some very high end standalone effects units.

Go for it!

Lovely!

I've been drooling over the soapbar version for a couple of weeks. I am an admittedly PRS fanboy.

Me too...they can do no wrong hehe

I have my 2 keepers, which are pattern thin CU22's (wide thin) and I have had at least 10 PRS with different, thicker profiles that I have flipped because they have been too fat...this is a pattern vintage, so the thickest carve they do...and it feels fantastic! Its a tiny bit asymmetrical...but as fat as it feels...it is very comfortable.

The pickups are fantastic too. I am a happy chappy!

Oh FFS....I need a soapbar one now :) :)

Im a protools user since 2009...and a revoice pro through all its iterations user for a long time...are you saying cubase 10...does ADR (and GTR applications) internally?

I used to use a marshall 9200 power amp in a metal flight case for about 10 years...believe me....that put everything into perspective!

Kemper means I can get to the stage with everything I need in one trip without poo-ing my pants from the strain.

And thats why I switch off when I see 'kemper vs.....' because I have saved an absolute fortune in underwear.

I use the thomann 'just kemper - no remote' case...and it passes as carry-on for airlines.

I purposefully chose a midi controller that would fit in my guitar cases for that reason! :)

I love all in ones, but I'm actually happier checking guitars than Kemps!

Convertors do make a difference...

For years I was in the 'it is negligible and there are better things to spend your money on' mindset.

That is absolutely true!

But when you get all the mics, pre's, comps blah blah blah...and you FINALLY upgrade your AD/DA...you really do notice it, the same way that earlier on in your journey to sonic nirvana you notice that the fewer times you go through your convertors (or whatever quality) the better!

Years ago, I saw a top of the range Sonor drum kit on eBay for 60 pounds...I arrived at the house 31 minutes later....it was a 30 minute drive away.

Turns out it was the drummer's wife from the band 'Budgie'.

He had been naughty, so she was selling all of his shit off revenge cheap (not cheep cheep).

I ended up asking if he had any pairs of cool shoes or cars I could have whilst I was there.

Love your woman and treat her with respect...or I'll be round...and I am fecking ruthless! :) :)

Buy powerhead - all future needs covered.

• The amp in the powerhead is mono, so you can drive a cabinet.
    • You can monitor out, using two outputs to powered FRFRs.
    • You can also use the main outs to FOH.

You can do those 3 things simultaneously.

Boom!

Long time SD2 user - snapped SD3 immediately on its release...phenomenal.

Will go check out Slate - but will be super shocked if it has all the SD3 mic placement possibilities and easy mapping to Roland V-Drums (and not drums through Kontact)...

Still use Trigger on an almost daily basis - awesome simple plug-in.

Will probably buy it anyway :)