Posts by Snowbird

A quick question about downloading The Amp Factory profiles to the Kemper. I remember reading you need to unzip the files before loading to the thumb drive/Kemper. I was the FAQ page on The Amp Factory website and it didn't mention this. This is what the FAQ says. "Q, How do I load these onto the Kemper?
    A. Easy, just browse to the downloaded folder, and copy the contents to the “shared”
    folder on the flash drive."

Do you need to unzip the file or not?

Thanks for the response. Sounds like there's some good factory profiles that come with the Kemper. I remember reading a while back that the factory profiles were not that great. I read a lot of praise for The Amp Factory profiles and listened to a bunch of them through good speakers. There's a few I'm definitely interested in. Number one is the Champ 64. When I listen to the sample audio file, it makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck. I just love that simple clean tone. I also love the Two-Rock Jet and the Lindy Frallin VVT. There's a bunch more that stood out, but I'd be happy a long time with the three I mentioned. Are there any factory profiles that come close to the Champ 64, Two-Rock Jet or Lindy Frallin VVT?

The Kemper will be here on Tuesday. I'm really excited and feel like a kid right before Christmas. Any advice on getting off to a good start? Any settings I should check and set right away. I'm going to go through my SoundCraft Notepad 124FX and then to the M-Audio BX8 D2 Studio Monitors. I mostly play an American Deluxe Strat with the N3's, but also play a Tele with Seymour Duncan's. I also have a USA Hamer Studio with SD59's, but I'm more into the single coil sound.

Thanks for pushing me over the edge with the Kemper. I've been sitting on the sidelines way to long. :thumbup:

Now that I know for sure I'm buying a Kemper, I have a few (probably many more) questions about different things I'm reading. The first is downloading updates and rigs to the Kemper. If I have this right, you have to load the downloads to your computer and then load it to a thumb drive, then use the thumb drive to load it to the Kemper. The reason I'm double checking this is, it seems odd that you wouldn't plug a USB direct from your computer to the Kemper. Maybe I'm missing something. I also read where Mr. Kemper said they are working on a librarian and editor. Wouldn't you need to run the computer directly into the Kemper to use an editor or librarian?

A guitar cab will naturally color the profile you're using while an FRFR cab (by definition) shouldn't.
    Thanks to the cabdriver feature (introduced in firmware 1.5) you can still get the core of different profiles when using a guitar cab though.
    This is a feature that is very unique to the the KPA and works great.

Wow! this keeps getting better and better. I'm finding out all kinds of info I didn't know about. The Cabdriver sounds like the best way to go for live home playing.

If you've been playing real tube amps all of your life and you're used to have guitar cabinets and some power behind these cabinets ... well, you might be disappointed with these small speakers. They simply don't move much air and their surround and diaphragm might be to soft to give that tough response you're used to get from guitar cabinets. All I can say: If you're not satisfied with the combination of KPA and your M-Audio BX8 speakers ... it's not the KPA that you don't like. ;)

Cheers,
    Martin

I listened to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qs4arEelwM
    through Bose Companion 3 computer speakers and I'd be perfectly happy playing and getting this tone. No, it doesn't have the same affect as sitting in front of my amps. But, it sounds great to me. The BX8 D2's should produce better sound than the Bose.

I looked at those monitors online- my guess is: when they are relatively quiet, they will sound like you have an amplifier miced up somewhere else in the house, and you are listening through studio monitors. It will still respond like an amp, and still sound good but those speakers will not move air in the same way as guitar cabs.

I may be way off base, but wouldn't using a guitar cab defeat the purpose of the profiled amps in the Kemper? How is the profile you're using going to be affected by the cab you're running through? I thought that is the reason for using FRFR's, so the profile sounds like the original. ?(

Who can say if you never plugged them in?
    If they are decent studio monitors the KPA should sound simple awesome through them.

My question was for those who have had experience with the M-Audio BX8 D2's and the Kemper. Your right, I haven't tried them, That's because I haven't had a reason to in the past. The trouble with trying the Kemper with these monitors is, I don't have anything to judge them against. That's why I posted the question.

OK, I figured out how to enable receiving Private Messages. Thanks, I didn't know I had to do this. :thumbup:

I have excellent computer speakers with sub. I watched the youtube video and almost wet my pants. Incredible tone! Thanks for sharing. So you have one that was delivered today? I'm jealous. And you have 45 days to return it? Is there a restocking fee involved if you do? I'm not sure about the policy here on price discussions, but did you get any discounts? I'd love it if you keep me informed on how things are going with your new Kemper.

yes it's different. it's like hearing your miked up amp through monitors instead of the amp in the room...unless you run it through a poweramp and cab. you need to keep that in mind or you may be disappointed.

Hmm! Not sure what to think. Back in the day when we were doing bar gigs, we didn't use PA systems or run through boards. We used our amps cranked up. I do go to a friends gig every once in a while. They use a small board and powered monitors. On of the guys uses a mic'd amp and my friend uses an Eleven Rack straight to the board. It all sounds good to me. But, it's probably not the same as sitting in my music room with the amp in front of me. Actually, I've played at my friends house using his Eleven Rack and thought it sounded really good. Maybe just a little on the hifi side. By the way, is the Kemper as easy to get around on as the Eleven Rack? That thing was easy to use and dial in. The Layout was very amp like.