I Think I'm Ready For A Kemper, But I'm Afraid Of The Technology.

• yes it's different. it's like hearing your miked up amp through monitors instead of the amp in the room...unless you run it through a poweramp and cab. you need to keep that in mind or you may be disappointed.

Hmm! Not sure what to think. Back in the day when we were doing bar gigs, we didn't use PA systems or run through boards. We used our amps cranked up. I do go to a friends gig every once in a while. They use a small board and powered monitors. On of the guys uses a mic'd amp and my friend uses an Eleven Rack straight to the board. It all sounds good to me. But, it's probably not the same as sitting in my music room with the amp in front of me. Actually, I've played at my friends house using his Eleven Rack and thought it sounded really good. Maybe just a little on the hifi side. By the way, is the Kemper as easy to get around on as the Eleven Rack? That thing was easy to use and dial in. The Layout was very amp like.

• the best thing would be to buy one and try it out for 30 days. that should be enough time to get accustomed to it. I don't think you'll regret it.

I guess I could look for a used Kemper. That way if it didn't work out, I wouldn't loose much like I would a new Kemper. Looks like the used ones sell for $300/$350 less than new.

• I guess I could look for a used Kemper. That way if it didn't work out, I wouldn't loose much like I would a new Kemper. Looks like the used ones sell for $300/$350 less than new.

After spending two years rejecting a well known modeller now on FW 10, I was about to purchase one last weekend. Most of my listening was on a decent, but not great, computer speaker system. Then I decided to listen on studio quality speakers. Decided to compare with the Kemper, which I had been ignoring. Just listen to the stuff by FastRedPonyCar. Or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qs4arEelwM

That amp is available for free. That alone is worth the price of admission.

Why buy used when you can buy from someone like American Musical Supply and take a 45 day test drive? I ordered mine, it's home and I'm not. Can't wait to get home.

• I have excellent computer speakers with sub. I watched the youtube video and almost wet my pants. Incredible tone! Thanks for sharing. So you have one that was delivered today? I'm jealous. And you have 45 days to return it? Is there a restocking fee involved if you do? I'm not sure about the policy here on price discussions, but did you get any discounts? I'd love it if you keep me informed on how things are going with your new Kemper.

• Like someone said it depends on what you run it through. The KPA sounded not too good through my stereo awesome through old but nice sony headphones and awesome through the Yamaha DXR10. The KPA may cost a bit but you get what you pay for. The KPA is a top of the line unit. Great for the home player too.

The Kemper Profiling Amp is the best musical invention since the Electric Guitar and the Marshall Amp .

• Welcome Snowbird, I'm about to turn 63. I have owned a lot of tube amps (been playing live since 63) and can honestly say I am more satisfied with the tones I get from my KPA then any amp I've ever owned, whether through my headphones or an amp and cab,or through the pa.

I too was skeptical, but in a few moments I was overwhelmed, And even though I still play out live I still find myself just playing guitar more then I have in the last 20 years.

As far as tweaking you only have to go as deep you want. And I find it very intuitive. I own an Eleven Rack, which I haven't used in almost a year.

So jump in you won't be sorry. Paul

• I mentioned this in an earlier post, but no one commented. I picked up a pair of M-Audio BX8 D2 Studio Monitors in a trade. I've never even plugged them in to try. How well do you think the Kemper will work with these? I'm hoping I won't need to drop a bundle on powered speakers to have the Kemper sound good.

• I guess I could look for a used Kemper. That way if it didn't work out, I wouldn't loose much like I would a new Kemper. Looks like the used ones sell for $300/$350 less than new.

After spending two years rejecting a well known modeller now on FW 10, I was about to purchase one last weekend. Most of my listening was on a decent, but not great, computer speaker system. Then I decided to listen on studio quality speakers. Decided to compare with the Kemper, which I had been ignoring. Just listen to the stuff by FastRedPonyCar. Or this:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

That amp is available for free. That alone is worth the price of admission.

Why buy used when you can buy from someone like American Musical Supply and take a 45 day test drive? I ordered mine, it's home and I'm not. Can't wait to get home.

I have excellent computer speakers with sub. I watched the youtube video and almost wet my pants. Incredible tone! Thanks for sharing. So you have one that was delivered today? I'm jealous. And you have 45 days to return it? Is there a restocking fee involved if you do? I'm not sure about the policy here on price discussions, but did you get any discounts? I'd love it if you keep me informed on how things are going with your new Kemper.

No discount anywhere that I am aware of at present, some "B stock" out there. Don't think AMS has a restocking fee. They do have free shipping and the choice of making monthly payments. If you return an item, many companies now charge you for the original shipping; not sure if they do. But, you'd lose less than buying used and re-selling if you change your mind.

Yeah, I'm seven hours driving time away from my new toy.

• I took a quick look at documentation (first 8 pages). Wow, you really put a lot of work into this. I think it's going to be extremely helpful.
    Thanks for the link.

• vltjd,

If your Kemper just arrived , call your dealer, and have them beat the Musician's Friend 15% off sale (assuming you paid more than that price). If they refuse, return it. It would be worth saving hundreds of dollars to get one from someone else in a few days (especially, since you are a week away, anyhow) . I can let you know where I got mine, too, if they refuse to beat that price.

You won't need 30 days. Videos like "Golub Crunch Marshall" were compelling to me, too. But, when mine arrived, I had already decided that unless it reacted to my touch just like the real thing, I would have immediately sell it on eBay (at the time, I got one for substantially less than what used ones were going for, so if I wouldn't have liked it well enough to keep, I would have been better off to sell it than return it )

I knew after just a few minutes that someone had finally gotten this kind of product right.

HERE is how I knew:

Set a comfortable listening level, with whatever speakers you use ( that can be bedroom to concert volume, or even a good pair of headphones)

Dial up an amp you are familiar with. It will do what you would expect from the real amp, in every guitar pickup position.

Turn the guitar volume knob down a little from 10, like to 5 or 6 (that is my typical "rhythm" volume) - play some chords, some incidental lines.
    With the guitar still turned down, pick harder.
    Then, barely brush your finger across the strings.
    Turn the guitar almost all the way down and play.
    Play harder.
    Turn the guitar up all the way, and play some lead lines, power chords, etc.
    Then, with the guitar still up all the way, play with the lightest touch you can.

You won't even have to do all those steps to know.

I knew as soon as I played one of the factory profiles of an old Marshall. I strummed a couple of chords, with differing touch, then leaned into it with a couple of single note lines.

• OK, I figured out how to enable receiving Private Messages. Thanks, I didn't know I had to do this. :thumbup:

• I mentioned this in an earlier post, but no one commented. I picked up a pair of M-Audio BX8 D2 Studio Monitors in a trade. I've never even plugged them in to try. How well do you think the Kemper will work with these? I'm hoping I won't need to drop a bundle on powered speakers to have the Kemper sound good.

Who can say if you never plugged them in?
    If they are decent studio monitors the KPA should sound simple awesome through them.

• Who can say if you never plugged them in?
    If they are decent studio monitors the KPA should sound simple awesome through them.

My question was for those who have had experience with the M-Audio BX8 D2's and the Kemper. Your right, I haven't tried them, That's because I haven't had a reason to in the past. The trouble with trying the Kemper with these monitors is, I don't have anything to judge them against. That's why I posted the question.

• If you've been playing real tube amps all of your life and you're used to have guitar cabinets and some power behind these cabinets ... well, you might be disappointed with these small speakers. They simply don't move much air and their surround and diaphragm might be to soft to give that tough response you're used to get from guitar cabinets. All I can say: If you're not satisfied with the combination of KPA and your M-Audio BX8 speakers ... it's not the KPA that you don't like. ;)

Cheers,
    Martin

• I looked at those monitors online- my guess is: when they are relatively quiet, they will sound like you have an amplifier miced up somewhere else in the house, and you are listening through studio monitors. It will still respond like an amp, and still sound good but those speakers will not move air in the same way as guitar cabs.

I may be way off base, but wouldn't using a guitar cab defeat the purpose of the profiled amps in the Kemper? How is the profile you're using going to be affected by the cab you're running through? I thought that is the reason for using FRFR's, so the profile sounds like the original. ?(