Posts by nkay

Do you have any of the output EQs set differently? Are your outputs all using the same source in the Kemper? Are you recording into the same input on your interface, same levels out from the Kemper, same level on the interface, etc?

I don't think I've ever touched an "output EQ", where do you find that? Does the Monitor Out have a different default EQ than the others? Other wise, yes they are set to Master - Mono (except for the Main Out which is master stereo but I use just the L output). Going into the same recording interface input, same everything. It's not a huge difference, but its noticeable, enough to make me prefer it.

I've started doing some recordings with the Kemper, and I was trying out different outputs (mono not stereo) into my recording interface, and I find that the Monitor out seems to have a more pleasing sound than the Main Out or Direct Out. It's hard to describe, but a bit fuller and less "digital" sounding. Is there something on the Monitor output compensating a bit for running into a monitor speaker? It's almost like a very slight power amp simulation which just warms it up ever so slightly.

For the longest time, Canadian retailers had a price that was under the US price, as you mentioned about $1799 for the toaster, compared to about $2100 in the US. (For some reason Marshall amp prices where the same way).
    Come January, I think something happened in the distribution chain, because things like the Kemper and Marshall amps not only jumped in price equal to what they were selling in the US, but also factoring in the tanking dollar, so that's why the toaster now here is $2299 CAN :((((

I'm lucky in that I snagged a used one locally for $1600 just before the price increase. I even splurged out $150 for the tote bag.

That's what I thought too, but I checked "All Rigs" and it was gone.
    I'll see if I can replicate it again, it's easy enough to reload the factory profiles.

I guess main part of my question, what is the purpose of a Snapshot vs Store As profile to work on different settings? Why would I use one vs the other? I don't quite understand what a snapshot is.

New Kemper user here, like most people I like to take a factory profile, tweak it, then save it under a new name so I can continue refining it etc... I tried this with one of the JCM 800 profiles, made some changes, then I did a Store > Store As procedure to save it under a new name (as opposed to replace or rename). Now my understanding of any Store As/Save As feature is that the original profile is not touched. However when I did the Store As, the new profile was there, but the original factory profile disappeared as if it was replaced/renamed! I did a reimport of the factory profiles to get it back.

What should I be doing in this case? I noticed there is a snapshot function which does a similar thing. Should I save a snapshot of a particular profile, then play with it in the snapshots section, then save it as rig under another name?

I'm really confused with the workflow, as it's not working how I would expect.

Thanks for the replies. I understand the monitoring issues, as I'm in a metal band lol, but more than anything, I just like to keep it simple, with less things to go wrong in between my guitar and sound coming out of the speakers. So for me I'd rather just plug straight into the PA.

The only thing I could see adding in the future is in-ear monitors. I was talking to the singer of a big band that came through here, and he told me he always goes direct from some kind of Mesa amp/device, and then uses in-ear monitors for both ear protection and the best monitoring. It's like no one wants to use cabs anymore, it's all direct.

I should add that my other option I am thinking of for my situation is a Blackstar ID Series 100 head. It is about $600, and is a solid-state tube modelling head. So would be great for live/backup use, but I can imagine the preamp sounds on this would be nothing like the Kemper for direct recording.

I have not got a Kemper yet, but I'm seriously considering it, it seems exactly what I'm looking for. What I was looking for was something for the best direct recording, but also to use as a backup rig to my tube amp, or even use it on its own for gigs where I want to bring as little as possible.

I see a lot of people referring to power amps, monitors, FRFR etc..., and buying it with the poweramp included. My question is, and bear with me because I've never played live with something like this, but isn't the most simplest way is to plug it directly into the venue's PA system? That way there's no micing, it goes out on the PA and also in the monitors etc... I like to keep things as simple as possible and that's how I would want to use it. Is there any drawbacks to this other than not getting the "speaker flapping the pants" feeling? ;)

Is the only reason that people want all that extra stuff is for when your at practice place or at a gig with no PA system? I think in that case the built-in poweramp or external poweramp would make sense, although for me, I wouldn't want all that extra weight on my Kemper as I want it as light as possible for easy transporting/flying etc... so would prefer the non-poweramp version.

Thanks for any help/clarification!