Posts by Mago

Have you heard that one about the guitar player who got in legal trouble? He broke a G string while fingering A minor.

(guess that's an old one, but I always only remember the most obvious ones)

Thanks for the answers guys, so I always done it right already, but wonder about the lock feature now thats why asking better

you know what is annoying, if I load a new Profile or DI Amp Profile in my kemper with the rigmanager, if I want to browse to this Amp then, it's not there to pick in the list, i have to make my Kpa Off and On, then it's available,

yeah I know, that is inconvenient.

Whenever Kemper will fix the cab lock bug for merged profiles, it should work that you can just lock everything but the amp section, and load profiles from the rig manager so you won't even need to copy it to the kemper.
    Doesn't work at the moment cause of said bug though (the amp section doesn't load right, and when you safe all sorts of weird stuff happens or so)

yeah Lars is right.

If only sellers could post in the announcement section (or if people would actually read the rules) then the announcement section would work more like an index and news bulletin thing, especially if every vendor only had one main thread. You'd ever only need to check the first 2 pages to get all updates you need in that case.

It makes sense that non sellers can't post there, cause they can open threads in the third rig party discussion subforum.

When you lock the cab and browse through other profiles/rigs -> everything changes but the cab (so also fx, amp section, tonestack etc...)

If you browse through amp sections (holding amp until you get to the amp parameters, then turning browse knob) only changes the amp section, the rest (fx, cab, tonestack settings etc) all stay the same.

2nd one is better since right now there's a bug with locked cabs and merged profiles, it is being addressed though as far as I know.
    I always use the amp browse method if I just wanna check if a rig sounds better with a different amp.

It also "works" with studio profiles, but it sounds a lot better with DI/merged profiles, cause there is no more guesswork on seperatin amp & cab involved.

I think it will be easier to read and faster for me to do it this way, my response in red and italic

Soooooooo yeah.
    Overall what bugged me about your post, was the whole profiting of the back of kemper thing. It's not. Kemper is a tool and ppl use it. Simple.
    No amount of "what ifs" has anything to do with that or change it.

I'm happy about the current rules. If they will be followed it should be the best way for everyone to be able to check the forum without having to scroll through countless pages of bumped stuff.
    We'll see if it plays out or not.

But the way I see it they did not create the technology or the hardware.
    Thus on the back of Kemper. I do understand it is how the Kemper works.This is what it is for.

Was it intended to go where it is now? Was it more for profiling your own amp for yourself and or to share?
    Or was the micro industry planned.

nah, that's nonsense. By that logic are you only "allowed" to record music on a guitar you built yourself? With a mic you invented yourself?
    Through a cab made out of a tree you planted yourself? (I can go on but I guess you get my drift ;) )

They intended it to do what they made it to do. Everything else is speculation. And giving the fact that there's a commercial 3rd party profile section in their own forum, I doubt that they aren't ok with it and didn't expect it.

That would have been a bad move on different levels (no profiling/profiling only for a high price).

-the unit would be useless for most studios and pro musicians that need to save tones they came up with themselves -> lot less units sold.
    -elitism only benefits the one with most $$$, not necessarily the ones who come up with the best ideas/products
    -higher price for kempers that can profile? How do you think that would influence the price of profiles? (I give you a hint, they wouldn't be lower than they are now).
    -only kemper making profiles? One of THE most defining part about the product would be gone. It would be a bit of a better sounding AXE FX, essentially.
    But with less modding possibilities. The profiling process is the key feature of the kemper, not making it available for the customer would make it just another amp sim box in my eyes. Even if I like the sound of that box the most compared to others cause is based on profiling rather than modelling yadayada....

More people able to create profiles for the kemper = higher chances of selling more kempers cause people want to use those sounds. Or do I miss something in that logic?
    Your logic basically limits/decreases the amount of available choices/exposure, I doubt that that can stand against "higher quality" stock kemper stuff.
    The Kemper had to come with all those 1000 rigs filled, to make everyone happy. And then I guess people like you would complain because there is too much profiles on there stock, because ->

"rig exchange is a mess" well hard to argue that profiles on there aren't getting less. But with the rig manager you can go through them so quick (seach function). If you don't want to invest the time in that, then don't. But complaining about too much choice always has been weird in my eyes.
    the kemper already comes with good profiles in it when you get it (especially nowadays). so if you don't wanna expend them, don't.

or go to the commercial section and see what others like, there's your "more refined" filter right there.

why I think one time sticking of links is a bad idea? cause you won't know when there's an update in any of these sites that might interest you.
    Do you wanna subscribe to x amount of newsletters instead?

I'm talking mostly as a consumer here. I'll just adept to whatever rules get to be decided as a seller, that's up to kemper and how they wanna handle it.

If by DA you mean 'Direct Amp' then yes, I mean that...I think Kemper themself call it DI-Profile though, at least I thought I read it in the manual?

For me it's a DI profile, cause I'm using a DI Box to capture it...that's always the way I thought about it ^^

Hey
    Please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that in order to make accurate merged profiles you needed to do the studio profile and the direct profile with the same settings on the amp (so during the same session). Merging direct profiles that you've made in your rehearsal space with a few well captured studio profiles in the studio will not be really accurate; am I wrong?

thanks

No, you are right in what you are saying, but it was not what I meant!

Yes you have to merge the direct and studio profiles of the same session, if you want accurate merged cabs.
    But after you merged the cab, you can match it with any DI profile you want.

So my plan would be:

- Figure out what kind of GENERAL settings you want to have with the amp (bright, dull, crunch, clean etc...)
    -Note those settings

then in the studio

-Set the amp to sound A, bright
    -Mic the cab according to that settings
    -Make a studio profile of that setup
    -Make a DI profile of that setup
    -Merge those two

Now you have a cab for "bright" amp settings.
    But you won't have to do another profile for other bright settings on the amp at the studio (other gain level, slightly different settings that fit the mic position, pedals etc...).
    You can move on to dull, crunch, clean etc...whatever kind of tones you want, make merged cab for those kind of settings. So you get the most out of the time in the studio.

Then back at home, or your space or where ever, you can make any DI profile you want and match it with those merged cabs.
    That way you don't "waste" time at the studio and can maximise on what the studio has to offer (gear and experience).
    (for the record, time at a studio is never wasted in my opinion, but I'm a nerd haha)

Huh... That's also an interesting idea.

Maybe mark of three favourite profiles beforehand (maybe a clean, a crunch and a distorted one), take DIs, and make profiles with multiple suitable mic positions. That'd actually be pretty awesome.

Yeah he could have a couple of settings that cover the basics of the amp to get the mic combinations/positions done.
    He'll have the DI profiles after making the merged cabs anyway, cause the amp part of merged rig is DI profile.

My point being, as long as you know your amp, have a cab, good quality DI box and a room where you can make some noise (practice room) you don't benefit from doing the DI profiles in a studio.

And to my ears they don't have any downside to studio profiles, despite what I read so far. Honestly every time I heard a sample where it didn't match up, the DI box just wasn't the right one it seemed. Hence my tip on the countryman type85. I had no issues with that what so ever so far.

Haven't yet had to chance to try the Top Jimmi Kemper Rig Pack, but so far I bought 2 of his packs, SLO 100 and the 1968 SL.
    I really dig the marshall, the SLO was a bit disappointing to me though.

For a lot of the same reasons here:

I'm personally not a fan of his profiles at all... To me they are completely midrange, and have absolutely no high end on his overdrive/distortion profiles. The New SLO of his could absolutely rule, but it just sounds like a blanket is on everything above 3k... Again, just my opinion. He also uses some technique to boost the midrange in his amps before he profiles them in the preamp section, like with an EQ pedal or something. It's very prominent. Again, just my opinion but I feel we should all be honest here good or bad with opinions....

seems I don't dig the micing too much on the slo. its pretty dark and not that fit for anything hi gain metal stuff. Could work for rock though.
    I also tried using the DI profiles, but those where pretty midrangy and didn't have a lot of bass (I tried them on merged cabs I know really well).

I can very well be that the amp is just like that (based on a marshall after all ;) ), or maybe the settings where that way to compensate bass heavy micing.
    From clips of the SLO I heared so far it should be possible to get there, settings wise. But as long as I don't try one out for myself I won't really know.

Anyway, keen to try out the kemper rig pack from Top Jimi. Thanks for the pack!

Do you plan on doing DI/merged or studio profiles?

Because if you'd "just" tick off all the setting and pedal combinations (which is an epic collection by the way haha) by doing them via DI profiling, you'd be pretty fast at capturing the essence of what the amp/pedal combinations have to offer.

A countryman type85 works great for capturing DI profiles, I'm sure they have plenty of those at the studio.

Then after you're done you can concentrate on getting a couple of nice mic positions, by doing merged cabs.
    IMO that way you'd get the most out of your time at the studio!

If you have a rehearsal space and a good DI box, you could also concentrate on ONLY getting good mic positions/merged cabs, and doing the rest of the DI profiles yourself to match with those merged cabs later.

Either way you'd be able to get more out of the hours at the studio IMO :)

Yeah of course clips are coming!

For now here's a high gain metal context...I think someone said that the Einstein can't do metal...I beg to differ :D

Same DI profile with different cabs, no boost/tube screamer on both. Straight out of the kemper.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I am not a seller. I just thought how the new structure would work for me from my very own point of view and search behavior. I also voted for single threads per offerings from the beginning, but I'm not sure about that at this point. In the end we will see how it works out, and I think we're getting used to however they turn the forum over. :)

My comment wasn't aimed at you at all, I meant "you" in the sense of "one should blabla", badly worded on my part, sorry! And yeah, I think something will work out in the end too!

Meh. If all sellers do loud advertising, nobody would stand out ANYWAY.

@Guidorist : Michael_dk nailed it with that statement. I think part of why that kind of "loud" advertising worked in the forum, was because only very few where doing it. So of course the louder one will stick out.
    But further down the road most others would adapt to that, and when everyone is doing it, no one stands out in the end, as Michael said.
    So you only drive the place down to a point where it becomes unreadable, thus driving away a lot of potential customers to begin with.

Having some kind of regulation only helps the overall health IMO and makes it easier for every party to get something out of it.

For separating the announcement from the discussion, this leads to some things to be considered:

• Very likely, there will be multiple threads regarding the same amp/offering within the discussion section.
    • This will be due to the overall unconventional naming of amps which is sometimes a guessing.
    • Because it will be difficult to validate if there is already a discussion regarding an amp in this ever-growing forum before starting an own discussion. (Martial EDA JAY Fendor Blackea V35-Mk17,5 ^^)
    • Some will refer to the real amp name, others to the vendor’s naming.
    • This will become confusing due to the enormous amount of (occasionally plurally) available amps.
    • This will result in searching through multiple threads to get info on one specific offering.
    • This makes the - initially good - recent idea of how to improve the structure somewhat invalid. Imho.

yeah that's a valid point. But for the same reason people seem to prefer a thread per pack instead of a single thread per vendor, because you'll find info on a specific pack easier in the single thread, than having to go through x-amount of pages in the main thread.

You could work around that if you manage your main thread a bit and put navigate-able links in the first post, for example

@mightypudge Nailed it in his last post.

but that's exactly the way it is set up now (since today):

- Third party Rigs discussion
    Discuss commercial offerings here

- Commercial Announcements
    News and announcements from third party rig collection authors. Do not discuss competitive product here.

yeah that's great and I got that!

I'm not 100% sure if that little line below the link will be effective in avoiding discussion within those threads though

Separating the discussion from the announcement would be genius IMO

If it would be possible to lock threads for the creators only that would make a lot of sense.

If every seller had a single thread it would be pretty easy to shop for new stuff. I'd put a bit more effort into making that one thread navigate able easily.
    You also have to take into consideration, if only the seller posts in such a single thread, then it gets a lot less cluttered to look through for customers.

And the discussion about that is separated in the other sub section. IMO that would be the most effective way!

For my point for view, I really prefer 1 thread per pack. It is really difficult to find an old pack thread because the title has been renamed to the latest pack.
    For example, i was looking for the old thread of mago and his PRS Archon pack. After a while, i realized that he renamed it to bogner ubershall (to present his last pack)...

oh wow I didn't even think that this could cause a problem of that sort. That thread started out as a single thread for a new pack, but I later decided to keep it all in one :/

I personally like a single thread per vendor, both from the perspective of a seller and a buyer.
    It helps to keep the forum cleaner...you can also just bookmark that thread to be able to go back to it whenever you want.

At least I think that bookmarking should work even after renaming the title, I haven't tried it yet though.

Using one thread per vendor causes more work so people can navigate it more easily...I still have to work on that.