Posts by daveyboy

This time I'm tearing it up Southern Rock style using another Soundside profile. This is from Pack 55, "Seeking to re-create the sound of a Suhr® Badger 30 Amplifier". I used my custom Starr Strat (rhythm panned right) and my Fender Tele on this. For leads you'll probably be able to tell which is which. I didn't use the super distorted profiles in this pack but went for more of a glassy lead sound. As always, I wrote and recorded this thing within my 2 hour time limit so take it for what it's worth;-)

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Thanks guys! I met Armin from Soundside a few days ago and he told me this amp is only 1 watts and was a limited run made for Anderton's music. Great guy btw. It was interesting hearing what he goes through to make profiles. I don't have any secrets only that he owns a lot of amps!

Loved this !!!! What a catchy tune and extremely well executed. Great tones also... Which one did you use for the Lead

Thanks! Not sure which profile since I'm not in my studio. This pack is pretty small though so there are really only a few options. I like making these pack exclusive demos as it forces me to "learn the pack" and figure out what guitars respond well and what style of music they're suited for. Do you own it as well?

Here's a simple Reggae type tune using the Soudside Profile pack 52, "Seeking to re-create the sound of a Marshall® CS JTM145 1964 Amplifier". For this song I used my Starr Guitars Strat with Peter Florence pickups for the rhythm tracks and my Fender Ultra Strat with Duncan pups for the lead as well as 3 different profiles. Enjoy!

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Here's my first song of 2017 featuring the Soundside Pack 71, which is a profile of a well known Boogie amp. I used my 91' Fender Ultra Stratocaster (which I've owned since 92'...) which is outfitted with a Duncan 59'/bridge and 2 stk-s4's. I used one clean profile for the rhythm tracks and then one of the awesome distorted tones for the lead. No profile tweaking was done of any kind on this but I did mix the track and added a little eq and compression as well as fx as per usual. This guitar is not high output at all and is a little on the dark side btw. Enjoy!

thx Dave, this is very close from my own workflow, except I often need a drumming to warm me up, I use ready made samples to catch a groove and then start recording guitars, bass and leads come next.

Thx for your great explanations.

R

No problem. Yes, drums are always somewhat challenging. I usually play them in live these days (finger drumming on keyboard) and get through them in about 5 minutes. In the old days it would take me much longer and they wouldn't sound as good.

Hey, is that a picture of your Les Paul on your profile web site and if so what are the details?

Boom, another smash hit. This time using a Pink Taco amp profile from Soundside.de pack 58. This amp, er um, profile, has a very edgy classic vibe. and is good for cutting rhythms, which I highlighted in the demo (with a sprinkling of lead guitar of course).

The last two days - this offer will end by the end of 2016.

Last chance to save up to 75% compared to the price of single packs

I've been going to town checking out some of these awesome profiles making demo clips for Armin. I really like them. Now's a good time to get a great deal on some great profiles:-)

Thanks guys! I'll have to see which profile I used as I'm just picking things and then going quickly. This guitar I used has a low output paf style pickup that worked well for this profile. The guitar/pickup one uses really changes the tone. I've also been getting into the distortion sense setting on the Kemper input, which can give your guitar a hotter or less hot sound.

I've been going through my Christmas bundle and made yet another demo from the Soundside profile pack 73. Since I'm not speed metal guy, I went melodic rock with this and used a different guitar than what I've been using on my other Soundside demo clips. This time I used my 91' Fender Ultra Strat that has a Duncan 59' in the bridge. For this clip I used the bridge pup on all tracks. I also wrote this more like a real song and made the lead guitar more of what I would do if the song had a vocal. I liked the tightness of the rhythm tracks panned hard left/right. I did zero tweaking of these 4 different profiles and minimal eq when mixing.

excellent playing & tone, and what a fast workflow you got ! can you tell us more about how fast you can do these demos ?

R

Workflow:
    1) Plugin guitar and start auditioning profiles until I hear something cool
    2) Start writing a song based on what I'm hearing
    3) Since I'm plugged into Logic, find tempo of new "song" and record the idea before I forget it!
    4) Program drums to guitar idea
    5) Maybe redo guitar idea now that I have drums, or not, depending on if it sucks or not
    6) Add 2nd guitar track panned right, probably switch to a different guitar and profile in the pack as well
    7) Record bass
    8) Add some kind of lead guitar
    9) mix it down in about 10 minutes and call it day

Profile tweaking:
    Usually I tweak a little or a lot but on Armin's profiles on these demos I did zero tweaking. On top of that I did little to no eq when I mixed, other than master buss overall type of eq. I wanted to keep them raw sounding. And, since these aren't my normal flushed out productions, I wasn't as picky. I wanted people to hear the true sound of the profiles. Obviously if they buy them and use them they'll sound different than me based on many, many reasons;-)

Just gave a listen. You have an excellent touch, very nicely played.. And tones are very good

Thank you! I'll say one thing, it's fun making these as I don't care as much and want to get it out quickly. It's a good creative and technical exercise. Try giving yourself an hour or two to write, record and mix a song;-)

Hi All,
    After buying a lot of profile during Soundside's Christmas bundle sale I've been creating some demos for the Soundside website and made a soundcloud playlist to showcase them. My goal in these demos was to try to not touch any of the raw profiles. I basically grabbed a guitar and started to jam (like everybody does) and whatever popped out of me is what you hear. So, these were done pretty quickly (usually an hour or two at the most), with really no amp tweaking, and are not mastered. I also kept them super simple in terms of production so you can better hear what each amp sounds like. Or, at least the 1-3 profiles I used sounds like;-) I used a 92' Gibson Les Paul Standard with Burstbucker 3's, a Charvel Wildcard 5 with Duncan Custom Custom, a 2000 Telecaster with Duncan Alnico Pro II's and a little bit of a custom Starr Guitars Strat. As we all know, guitar used, player, song, etc, all make these profiles sound different. That's what makes the Kemper so awesome! I'm also starting to play with the distortion sense settings and find I get more natural boost results there. I did tweak that for the solo for "Bad Cat Boogie" for the lead so as to get a little more gain. Enjoy and keep making great music!

Soundside Profile Playlist

Soundside is probably my favorite profile maker. I just bought this bundle and am slowly going through these great profiles. I got side tracked yesterday and wrote this little number using just 2 profiles from the 66 EV pack. I didn't touch the profiles at all and did no individual guitar eq so this is a little on the raw side but you can more easily hear what the actual profiles sound like. I can make anything sound good in a mix but it's nice to have things more "finished" sounding from the start.
    Video demo of 66 EV Pack

I think this must have been related to some weird "digital kemper voodoo" as the next day everything seemed to be working fine. I also did a test where I sent a sine wave through the kemper into my daw and then sent the same signal bypassing the kemper. There was only a tenth of a db difference between the 2 which isn't enough to cause what I was hearing the day before.

I noticed today while profiling a few (dirty) amps that the Kemper DI output is lower than just plugging the guitar directly into the amp. This was making the gain/input lower while monitoring the live rig through the kemper. It was very confusing at first as even though I could make an "accurate" profile, it wasn't matching the actual amp sound when I wasn't going through the Kemper. So, I turned up the distortion sense which gave me more output on the DI so that I was getting more of an accurate input level going into the amp. Is this normal or can one boost the output of the DI some other way? I'm running the very latest firmware (5x as of 12-1-16).

I actually never use my tone control but now that I've changed my caps I'm going to. The old caps were the original tiny ceramic ones. I did some serious before and after testing between the old caps and the new ones. The old caps produced more of a "cocked wah wah" sound. So, a pronounced midrange with a slightly rolled off low end. Now, that might me your preferred sound as it's kind of cool and really does sound like a wah pedal. The new caps I'm trying now really do a better job of eqing the guitar as you can hear in the video. I just ordered a whole new harness though with yet different caps and I'll see if I prefer those. At this point I like that I've done this mod as I think these are more usable to me. I can slightly darken the guitar and it sounds natural instead of honky like the old caps.