Posts by Problem_Sleuth

set the Volume lower than '0'?
    (it goes down to -5)

but in essence the Wah is boosting a narrow band of frequencies quite a bit, which results in more distortion.
    meaning the profile is responding to it like an amp would.

Yep, I agree with this ... you'd get the exact same issue with a real wah into a real amp. I actually kind of like that aspect of a wah pedal.

I also believe some fellas took their "complaints" about the layout/interface way too far.

And I love my Kemper, but also I don't care, who dislikes me for expressing my current disappointment about being ditched as Mac User for now. "Later this year" means nothing but "not anytime soon". I agree with the above that this (windows first -. which is windows only for now) is sub-par in 2014.

Take a look at the competition: win32/win64 and osx - same version

Yep, that's the eternal lament of the Mac user. Been there many times myself. I too am disappointed that the Mac version is still a ways off, however, coming from the other side of the fence I do know that porting software to the Mac (properly, at least) isn't always an easy task. Especially when it comes to software that interfaces with hardware. It's not a cut-and-paste thing.

But then, I'll be switching to Windows in the near future anyway (for a long list of reasons I won't get into here), so we'll see whether or not I do that before the Mac version of the Editor/Librarian comes along :D

I love the GCP as a Kemper controller! Here's how I currently have mine set up. I've only done one rehearsal and one gig with it, so this is all very new and subject to change:

TOP ROW
    1. Stomp A on/off
    2. Stomp B on/off
    3. Stomp C on/off
    4. Stomp D on/off

MIDDLE ROW
    5. X on/off
    6. Mod on/off
    7. Delay on/off
    8. Tap tempo

BOTTOM ROW
    These are how I access the performance slots. I have it set so that each bank on the GCP corresponds to a performance in the Kemper. This means I can't access the fifth slot, but there are no songs in my repertoire where that's an issue. Four seems to be enough for me.

I have a Mission expression pedal plugged into the GCP, and I configure it to work as whatever I need it to be. By default it's a volume pedal, but depending on the performance it can also be a wah, Whammy, delay mix, etc.

My experience at the gig was very good. I found that I never used the top and middle row switches though, but it was a rigid set list and I had put in some work ahead of time to make sure every performance was dialed in perfectly. In a jam / songwriting situation I could see that changing though.

I make my living in the software world, and I can say that in terms of meeting user needs, Kemper is doing an excellent job.

From my side of the user/developer relationship, polite, clearly stated requests for new features backed up with a solid reason for having them (we call this a "use case") are very much appreciated by a good development shop. You can submit as many of these as you like. The most valuable information a developer can have is a clear understanding of their user's needs.

Please do keep the following in mind though:

- You are never entitled to a new feature just because you requested it (even if you followed all the guidelines above).

- There are many, many factors in the mix that may not be apparent to you from the user side of the fence.

- Software development is expensive, and takes time to do properly.

- With a finite amount of time and resources, a developer must carefully choose which features to work on. This means some (likely most) feature requests will not be acted on.

- For all of the above reasons and more, if your request is acted upon, the feature may not be exactly as you had wanted.

- Whining, getting frustrated, or hassling the developer repeatedly over the same issue doesn't help anybody, and dealing with this negativity wastes time and energy the developer could be using to get real work done.

There will always be a few people who can't abide by these rules. That's fine. There's nothing we can do about it - just let them act how they want to act while we carry on being productive.

I will say once more: the fact that Kemper refines their design and lets users have requested updates FOR FREE is fantastic, especially when it comes to hardware devices.

I'm not really seeing the value of this, personally.

When I play out, I plug in and turn on the Kemper first, and hook up my other gear while it's booting. I leave the Kemper on all the time (I use Tuner mode like an amp's standby), and shut it off when I'm finished. Same as I would with a tube amp (which also take some time to warm up).

Faster boot time would be nice, of course, but someone will have to explain the use case for a "sleep mode".

Not happening, guys. Mr CK explained that having a converter capable of switching sample rates would have made the Kemper more expensive than it already is. Just use analog, or like I do, stick to 44.1 khz. Hardly the issue it's blown up to be, the analog outs work just fine.

Well, like I said, it's not a make-or-break feature, but it does mean the SPDIF is essentially useless for most of what I do. Reamping entirely in the digital realm would have been excellent.

Thanks for the info.

Sorry to bump this old thread, but I'm now tracking guitar for a session that was originally tracked at 48 kHz. The fixed 44.1 sample rate on the SPDIF means I'm stuck using analog ins and outs on the Kemper for this project. Not a huge problem, really, but definitely far from ideal.

If SPDIF slave and/or user-selectable sample rate is a possibility in a future release, I'd love to have it!

Hi!
    Been a guitarist for over 20 years with extensive studio and live experience, and have used small tube amps, big tube amps, modellers, rack effects, and tons of pedals. I've been curious about the Kemper ever since it came out, but my past history with modellers has not been the best. I finally decided to take the plunge after getting recommendations from two great players I respect, and seeing the growing list of pro players and producers who rely on it.

I'm still just getting into what this thing can really do, but so far I am loving it. It's been a long time since I had this much fun playing guitar. I'm very impressed by the intuitive controls and all the ins and outs (makes recording and reamping really easy). Most of all, of course, the tone is fantastic. I've been looking forward to digital guitar tone to catch up to analog for a long time now, and the Kemper is the first device I've tried that really, truly, gets there.

Anyway, I look forward to learning more and playing some great stuff through this amazing machine. I did some excellent profiles of my main amp (Mark V), and had a really good rehearsal with the Kemper just going straight into the PA. Next up is a gig on the 24th where I'm going to give the Kemper a try with my Ground Control, then I'm tracking guitar for my band and a few other projects. Very exciting!