Posts by GreatAnt

yeah the fender 5150 3. the white one, is that a thing?

cool. are they 5150 3 profiles ?

Just wanted to get some feedback and suggestions here

My clip The first one (test two)

https://soundcloud.com/greatant-1

tone matching to .12 secs in

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Using the same amp (VHT from sinmix) Can get the bottom end but can't get any of that juice and clarity. Mine sounds too scratchy as well (maybe higher mids?)

PS might not be the correct spot to post in but hope it is

Cheers

It actually sounds pretty close. The vid clip has less gain and has the air of the live performance, which essentially makes your studio recording more "dry". I'm going to do another OR100 session in the next week, if you send me a DI clip I'll see if I can dial it in closer...should be a fun experiment. BTW, this style is so far removed from anything I ever listened to before, I like it because it is so abstract. Cool stuff, thanks!

Thanks for the words. I can hear the tone but notice though when he palm mutes there's still that distortion that sits around the top end. Same thing with the studio version, I'll send you the link as well. No matter what I do it's still very dry and scratchy sounding! When I get my guitar back I'll give it another go with less gain and with the thicker gauges. I wonder how much of a difference the guitar with it's pick ups make? I know he uses alnico 5 magnets with his humbuckers that are 10 and 14k outputs, my gibson pups are alnico 5 as well but a lower 8.5k output, plus my guitar isn't made out of metal and isn't a baritone. Yeah I love this stuff, it's inspired me to get back into playing guitar as a guitar instead of doing ambient stuff all the time. I'd love to talk profiling the OD100 with you, I've got some ideas as to settings etc did you want to let me know your email, be easier to discuss things I think. Cheers!

[quote='crankyrayhanky','http://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php/Thread/20225-OR100-now-includes-MERGED/?postID=233726#post233726']Lots of people bag on stock Gibson pickups. I actually like them and have been inspired, but switching to BK brings so much more clarity and immediacy it's unreal. I'm sure there may be some less expensive alternatives by Dimarzio or SDuncan, but I haven't come across it yet. But try that eq low cut in the 1st fx slot, then you can always dial in more lows with the eq or x slot. That should deliver some improvements.

For strings, I used to use Wylde 10-60 on my LP, but my tech said it wouldn't intonate. I switched to Kalium strings 10-53 and I seem to like that. Probably could go a bit thicker, 10-53 feels great on my 25.5 Peavey HP, maybe a bit floppy on the shorter scale LP. When you say 14-68 on an LP, what tuning? If dropA & you can get it intonated, that would sound PHAT thick!

Sludge Fuzz on an OR100: Orange is known for their fuzz. Other amps get fizz at high gain and eq levels, but Orange delivers a unique fuzzzzz. It's a love/hate for players (I love!). The sludge because at high gain it has that saturated doom fuzz feel, but with the right approach (pickups, OD boost), you can certainly get some modern metal out of it. On a few profiles I put a slight mid cut at 400 in the loop to give it a more sinister vibe as that is the way I love the amp. The profiles sound dead-on to that moment in time, but the variables that may change are the mic, mic position, and speaker cab. That's why session 1 sounds different from session 2. But the session 2 merged sound very close; for band practice I switch up between my OR and the Kemper and I don;t think anyone notices; the tone is right there.

Feel free to shoot me a clip, I'd like to check out your stuff.

Rock on![/quote

Cool man, I"ll have to have a closer look at the higher gain settings you did in re to the sludge. That's cool about them sounding dead on. What rig do you run with the Kemper live? - powered w cab, in ear, ref monitor - I'll put a couple of sounds up with the string gauge/pups I have now, heavier string and eventually heavy strings with different pups. I'll have to check out those BK as Gibson don't really do anything hotter in re to pups that I can find. Just really trying to find something that's really great at low tunings, can create note separation really well. I don't think the gibson pups I have get where I'd like in that regard.

Did you check out the tone from the clip I put up? You think that's attainable with the OD100? I know that his' amp has a GEQ and because of the cab he uses he bumps that 23-2500 range up to get over that hump

Yes, I have a KM7 on the most recent clip tuned to dropA. I typically play either dropA or dropC. To tighten things up, I tend to use a OD as a clean boost (0 to just a sliver of gain). But you would have that in the profiles. A big variable may be pickups. I'm a big Bare Knuckle fan which really delivers fast attack. The KM7 Nazgul delivers fast attack too, just not sure if it's too extreme for me, but in clips I like it more than while I play it, lol. If you have pickups that are less than fast on the attack, you could put a graphic eq in the 1st block, that tends to be a good pickup shaper- cut the super lows below 80 a few notches and that may help.

But all in all, the OR100 does have a sludge fuzz, which I love, but is not the most extreme fast attack amp. It works for me with the pickups and boost, but if you want more aggressive and modern attack for drop Z, something like a Fortin amp would be the one to explore. I have a few Fortin packs on my site, as well as check out the Fortin by Pete which is stellar. The Satan freebie by SINMIX is impressive and I always think about getting that pack too.

Let me know how it's going; I'm always up for talking tonez

Cool, thanks for the tips, I'll give them a go today.

I'm chasing a thick yet clear distortion tone. the closest I've come is a vht pitt bull profile by sinmix (i think) . I can hear the vht tone but there's a few things missing. gain a touch pass halfway seems to be the cut off.

I'm starting to look at pick ups. I use an LP (C#standard, drop the low to A) with burst bucker pros I think which are 8.5k output. I think maybe something around the 14k might be more ideal but I do prefer the neck pick up or split (bridge too harsh) so maybe around 10k at least. String gauge might also be a factor. Currently using 10's, might jump up to 14-68's (may be even too heavy for scale of LP).

Sludge fuzz, what's that exactly?

What do you think of my current set up with my limitations, did you mind if I sent you a clip and got some feed back?

Here's a clip of the tone I'm chasing, let us know what you think. On the orange sit, he's an OD100 user, that's why I'm keen to see how close I can get. Curious also, how different does the Kemper profiles sound to the actual amp? Is it noticeably more artificial?

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Thanks man I figured it out.

I'm not quite sure, I think you've got a 7 string, but I find that it's really hard to get a lot of clarity on profiles tuning down as low as I do (C# standard, dropping the low to A)
    Have you any suggestions as there are some bands I listening to (OLd man gloom) that use an OR100 and sound thick and clear.
    *note new to sound sculpting

Hi,

I just bought your profiles, clicked on the links and got to drop box. Do I have to sign up to get these or is there a way I'm missing?

The Fryette GEQ is a 6 band 100 250 630 1.2k 2.3k 5k

The GEQ on the Kempers is 8 band.

It looks pretty boosted on the 2.3k, highs just under and a little more on the bass. Upper mids look lowered. I don't really understand these frequencies so much, keen to learn if anyone has any input.

Here's a pic, you'll have to enlarge it to see, but what's the closest I can get with that using the Kempers

GEQ?https://instagram.com/p/qSA5xnidgs/