Posts by andyg_prs

We played the worst kind venue for sound last night, very small, low ceiling...and we have a loud drummer...and the soundperson was....well appalling.

Today I sit here with whistling ears as the cymbals were so loud....but I couldn't hear the bass drum.

Anyhow, the soundperson had insisted she was putting the maximum of my guitar to my monitor...but there was almost nothing...and I was crushingly loud out front...I had to tell her to turn down...I was straight to FoH....anyhow, I had my DXR10 in the car just in case....after burning too much time, I asked for 5 mins, grabbed it...and I instantly had all the volume I needed. It did take me a couple of minutes to get the hang of unlinking the monitor from the master...and ended up having to unlink everything.

By the way....each time I hit the output button to get all the different volumes, after a certain amount of time it would time out back to the normal display...

I just saw a mobile phone video of one of the songs....my guitar is crystal clear in the mix....too high in the mix really, but sounded good.

The other guitarist had his Laney on full through an Orange 4 x 12 and was completely lost....which is a pity as his Petrucci style leads are a joy, he's a real talent.

Anyhow, thought I'd just share 1. how great the Kemper was (again) and 2. how taking the DXR10 in the car just in case is worth it! As my Irish friend says, I'd rather be looking at it than for it :)

Cheers,
    Andy

Perfect - thank you sir! Gigs, rehearsals and writing new material keeps getting in the way of me spending quality time with the settings on my Kemper...but it's used for everything :) and I've already purchased a 3rd EV-5 to use for this purpose with my remote :)

Can anyone please advise if the Wah Pedal Boost would work as a pure volume boost if I have the Volume pedal set as pre-stomps?

Thanks,
    Andy

Hi Burkhard,

I'm not discounting anything. I didn't see a response as to whether the Wah Pedal Boost would work as a pure volume boost if I have the Volume pedal set as pre-stomps?

In terms of the monitor volume pedal...I'd only use that if the above isn't true. I also go straight to FoH and use their monitors.....so taking the monitor out straight to FoH and controlling that volume wouldn't be an issue for me.

Thanks,
    Andy

Hi, with my OCD a fixed boost doesn't work...I love having the ability to do stuff gradually via an expression pedal.

I've heard that I can set an extra expression pedal on the remote to control the monitor volume.

If so I could use my monitor out to front of house...I only go mono.

Of course, I'm yet to see what options there are for that expression pedal....I wouldn't really want it to do a 0-100% sweep...but then again, even if it does, I could use the control on the side of the EV5 that I use to reduce the sweep.

It'll be interesting.

To be honest I'm surprised more people haven't asked to be able to have a volume pedal both pre and post amp....controlling pure volume is very common for live work...and being able to add extra grit at will via another pedal is also just lots of fun :)

On my remote I currently have a Morph pedal and Volume pedal.

Can I:

Set my Volume pedal to post stomps.

Add another pedal as Wah, set to Pedal Booster, and have that function as a pure volume boost rather than pushing the pre-amp?

Thanks,
    Andy

Hi Burkhard,

So I already use my morphing to change each of my rigs from a rhythm to a lead patch by adding a bit of gain and volume, changing the bass/middle/treble settings and increasing the delay mix....I'm happy with that and don't want to change it.

I'm very interested in the wah pedal booster though. If I'm using the Remote and use the volume pedal post effects, can I have another pedal set as Wah (pedal booster) but have that volume pre stomps?

Thanks,
    Andy

I understand from the guides that you have to set the position of the volume universally, pre-effects, post etc...and I have it set post effects as a "pure" volume control.

I'd also love to be able to use a volume pedal post-stomps to push the pre-amp for different amounts of gain...but can't do that if the volume is set as above.

I know I could use Morph but that is being employed in a different way.

I notice in the manual that there is this:

Monitor Volume Pedal (MIDI Control Change #73)
    “Monitor Volume” is a special additional pedal option to control the volume of the MONITOR OUTPUT as well the internal power amplifier of PowerHead and PowerRack. It allows to generate controlled feedback through your monitor cabinet.

Is there any way with the remote to use that so that I can now have two different ways of controlling the volume?

Thanks,
    Andy

Being able to adjust the degree of gain via the volume pedal in the post stomps position is great....but using it in the post effects position as a "normal" volume is invaluable.

I know morph can be used to add gain but I use that for several factors - volume, gain, delay, tone settings - to move from a rhythm to a lead tone per profile.

A long way of saying, please, please, please, allow an expression pedal assigned to volume in both positions at the same time.

Anyone with me?

Cheers,
    Andy

Hi,

For a new project I am trying to use the same clean amp profile and then layer on different amounts of drive. I already use the morph feature for other things.

I have a footswitch assigned to the Green Scream. So I start with no drive. and then when I hit the footswitch I have the first Green Scream. I was hoping to assign a second Green Scream from another slot in one of two ways.

1. So that when I hit the footswitch the second time it alternates between the first green scream and the second (the second would have more drive)
    2. So that when I hit the footswitch a second time it adds (stacks) the second green scream on top of the first.

In both cases I'd want the third hit to take me back to a clean sound. I've got myself a bit confused...I've managed to get both green screams to come on a the same time but not the above two behaviours.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions / help!
    Andy :)

PS - this would all be solved if I could have my biggest outstanding feature request - to be able to have a post amp volume expression pedal (pure volume boost) and pre amp volume expression pedal (gain) at the same time. I know morph could be used for drive...but as I say I use morph for something else...

Hi,

This is my second Kemper, when I got this one, one of the outputs sounded really odd....and I did a reset (others can chime in with instructions) and it fixed that.

I can't remember if this SHEHER TWO - 2017-07-03 23-32-23.zip has the green machine drive on......but it's fundamentally what I gig with.....the rigs use an expression pedal to morph from a rhythm to a thicker and more delay saturated lead.

See how it sounds for you and let me know? It's very mid heavy as I have to fight against the other guitarist who is LOUD!

I prepare my rigs at high volume with the DXR10 and only have to use the global EQ to get things right at gigs. I normally go straight to PA but as I mentioned above, in this case I just use the DXR10.

Have you got the cabinets emulation on? Are you using Pure Cabinet? For some profiles you need that at max. For profiles generally I find Definition to be the most useful parameter.

But in either case, let me know how you get on with my Performance there.

PS - I know about the TSLs.....I used a TSL122 for years....now that is heavy!

Cheers,
    Andy

Funnily enough, at the gig, the Kemper was great......just using my DXR10 as my amp.....that said, the volume of the band was ridiculous.....only the Keys and Vox went through a PA!

That's another question about band discipline.......haven't checked yet how far I pushed the master on my Kemper....but the DXR10 was only set half way, so I had plenty of room to go!

1. What type / size are your studio monitors? In my case I drive those into nasty distortion too easily but I only have 5" equipped JBL LSR305s.

I create my sounds on my DXR10, and I do it good and loud.

So far live, through a decent PA, the most I have to do is vary the global EQ.

2. What do you play through at rehearsals?

3. What tone don't you like? The monitor (and what is it).....FOH.....or both?

4. Have you listened to recordings of you live...and if so, have you compared to rehearsal recordings?

I use a wireless (Line 6 G30) and check my tone out front.

Cheers,
    Andy

My OCD struggled at a gig last night. Tuned in drop D, both the Kemper tuner via the remote and my Polytune gave me the thumbs up....other than the low D where the Kemper said I was a few cents flat....from memory the bubble was just moving out of the central window.

As I use the polytune most often, I stuck with that......when in tune you have an exact indication, rather than the remote where the bubble kind of floats in the middle.

In fact, I actually preferred the tuner on my Uno4Kemper equipped FCB1010 as you had that same thing, an arrangement of LEDs that would say "exactly right"...but that's by the by.

Pretty sure that there'd be almost no audible difference moving the tuning those few cents.....but....any ideas why....it would make more sense if all the strings varied by a few cents, but really it was just the low D!

Cheers,
    Andy

Do you ever have days you plug into your go to profiles and things just sound a bit cold? Is it just my ears?

But asides from that....in a band / live situation if you feel your rigs are just a bit "thin" sounding....what are your go to techniques for warming / thickening them up?

I use my DXR10 for rehearsals....and actually at the tiny venue we play tonight pre-festival, it will also be my main amp.

Cheers,
    Andy

Hi,

My main live rig that sounds great through my DXR10 and through PAs at shows.....and also records fine (not saying I've tweaked it to be perfect yet) makes nasty rasping noises through my new JBL LSR305 studio monitors.

I tend to have my guitar very high in the mix when recording to make sure I'm in sync with the drums / click.

Recorded it sounds fine. But playing along with a mix....whether recording or not....it makes very unpleasant distortion / rasping through my JBLs.

My cheap Roland headphones work fine with it.

The chain is Guitar (high output humbuckers) > Kemper > Focusrite 2i4 I have a USB into an iMac for recording, and monitor via the JBLs.

The 2i4 has a halo interface to show levels and it is not clipping (green)....the level on the DAW (Reaper) shows I'm fine too....

Does anyone have studio monitors (JBL LSR305 would be perfect, but any monitors) and experience anything similar?

Would anyone be willing to try out my rig/performance against their home recording set up unless I'm missing something obvious?

I have a limited time in which I can return / exchange the speakers.

The performance is attached (not based on commercial profiles so no worries there). It's basically the "Slash Tone" (AFD100) and the reason I have a performance with 4 variations (identical other than the slot 5 with lots more delay) is the performance was created before I had the remote...and I just used an FS-6 to move up and down through the variations to fit the parts of a particular song!

Incidentally, I have a morph set to move from rhythm to lead which I quite like. With the Remote attached I have a delay that I turn off but there is also another that is 0% mix in heel down....such that I have a fairly dry rhythm sound and then the morph moves to a delay drenched lead tone with other tweaks to stand out.

Anyhow, any input would be most appreciated....your thoughts on the rigs also.

Cheers,
    Andy