Posts by Allenhuish

did you have to configure the vonets device or just plug it into the kemper and make a wifi connection from the ipad with the default password?

I can't remember if that would have worked, but I followed the pretty simple instructions that came with it.

The way I have configured it is to have the vonets bridge into my normal home wifi network. So I had to tell it my wifi password etc. Once that is done any time you power it up it connects to my home network. The benefit is that I don't have to switch network on my ipad.

Just fire up the app and there is the kemper! Simples.

Well I'm sorry to say that after about an hour I also gave up trying to get the mikrotik wifi gadget to work. It was very tiny, but I could not even get into it to start configuring it. I had a look on a few forums and it seems that this problem is fairly common. It's a shame because it is very small and runs off POE power so it would have been perfect.

Thanks for the feedback.

Well I also had a bad experience with the TEF1105P and I'm sending mine back too. Would not power the remote.

I have bought a Mikrotik MAP lite, but have not set it up yet because I really want to run it on POE power and the poe router does not work.

I will update the main thread when I get a chance with this feedback.

I am holding off the tp-link because I would prefer the power supply on the tenda (the tenda uses a kettle mains cable like the kemper so I can get an adapter to power both) the tp-link uses a wall wart adapter which requires a socket (more space used up in the back of the kemper)

I have just received a parcel from amazon and this device works perfectly and is powered by USB.

I've had it running for a couple of hours powered by the Kemper and works perfectly. Can work 2 different ways: will add your kemper to your home/studio wifi network or create it's own network if you're on a gig. This solution won't work with a remote, but otherwise it looks like the neatest and cheapest thing.

There are a few different versions, but this one was the cheapest that I found on ebay UK, just under £20.

https://amzn.to/3gSp3CA

[Blocked Image: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61XnHPPROZL._AC_SL1000_.jpg]

Sorry, I haven't tried it yet. I was holding off as there is a rumour that the kemper team are going to test out a few different options. The thing I'm hoping for is powering everything from USB on the kemper, but to be honest I don't think it will happen.

However, (no guarantees), I'm pretty good with networking etc. and I have a very high expectation that it would work.

Here is a cheaper option for powering POE through a router for only £25

https://amzn.to/2TQJ98B

And for wireless this is £30 and really tiny

https://amzn.to/3qc4ZPT

The wifi access point is incredibly small and needs no power other than from the other box.

At the moment, this looks like the most efficient/cheapest setup with only one power supply needed, plus uses the remote and wifi.

The only thing that would be better is if the kemper crew can find something that works with USB power from the kemper, but it seems unlikely to me.

Also, you only need both of those devices if you want to use the remote and the ipad app at the same time.

EDIT: I HAVE TESTED BOTH OF THESE DEVICES NOW AND THEY DO NOT WORK WITH THE KEMPER (although in theory they should). If you get them to work just post here please.

I think I can help.

There are loads of standards with different numbers.

802.11 (plus some letters) are all standards for wireless networking. I won't go into it here, but unless you have a strange situation you probably don't really care what version of 802.11 you get as long as the device is reasonably modern.

802.3 (plus some letters) are all standards for how power (electrical) is sent over network wires.

So 802.11 is for the ipad to connect to the kemper via wifi

802.3 is to power the remote.

To confuse things slightly some 802.11 devices can be powered by 802.3

If you don't have a remote don't worry about the 802.3 stuff.

Allen

That needs to be looked at the -

• 24V PoE in and out or power in via included PSU

Not just a pass through then that seems to plague other devices for our needs Allenhuish thoughts?

I have tried to understand this and do some research, but basically 'passthrough' is not going to work.

Firstly, where is the passthrough coming from? The only useful place is the kemper itself. It seems that it will not supply enough power to power both the remote and a wireless access point. I have looked at the power requirements of the access points and it is a few watts and then they pass the remainder on to the remote.

If you buy a switch/router with poe output then this would not be called passthrough, it is just output.

The most viable option for remote and wifi is a switch (with a separate power supply) which then powers a wifi access point over poe.

If you do not have a remote then a wifi access point with a power supply is the easiest/simplest. In this case, I think that there is a very small chance that there exists a product that will work on power from the kemper, but I think it would have to be trial and error as the kemper does not supply 802.3 power (which is one of the industry standards)

Good suggestions/comments.

Can I add the following comments:

1. It is in the manual that ...and these standards include the power requirement. So if it follows the standard, it has enough power.

Supported are IEEE standard 802.3af-2003 as well as 802.3at-2009 mode A.

2. Technically, you don't need a 'router', you only need a 'switch' or a wifi 'access point'. A router will work, but tends to be more expensive and bigger.

3. An injector is not really necessary if your switch supports sending PoE which both of your suggestions do.

4. By having a switch that feeds poe out it means that you can get a poe powered wifi access point and you will only need one power supply.

Can someone ELI5 how exactly the poe injector works? I currently have my Rack plugged into my normal home router (just a crappy Spectrum one, I’ll buy a new one to put in my rack case once I figure out how it all works) and I also my remote plugged into another port on the same router, with no luck.

I assume the router I’m using does not have poe because the remote is not turning on. If I buy a poe injector, do I just plug that somewhere in the Ethernet chain from my router to my remote (and plug the injector into the wall)?

Essentially: Router > Injector > Remote?

exactly right

the devil is in the details. The Profiler does not send PoE but the Remote "can" be powered over PoE with a dedicated PoE injector. As soon as a PoE injector is detected the Remote will switch to a different internal power supply that supports the PoE protocol. If no PoE injector is detected the Remote will use the power supply that responds to the protocol that the Profiler is using.

Thank you very much for the clarification.

Which standard of PoE does the remote use? 802.3af or 802.3at or passive? and what is the power requirement?

Thank you

I just ordered a TP-Link TL-WR902AC. Will arrive on Wednesday hopefully and then I can tell a little bit about it, if anyone is interested.
    in theory it should be possible to use it as a wifi-bridge in my home Network and as a standalone Router on Stage.

Does anyone know how the specs of the USB-Ports of the profiler look like? Standard 0,5A/5V?

Interesting to hear how you get on.

Previous threads on charging of mobile phones on this forum have been answered by kemper saying that it is not recommended to power anything from the usb port on the kemper. Which is a shame in this situation.

If you don't have a remote then a solution like the tp-link makes sense.

as it turns out it is not possible to power a router from the ethernet port of the Profiler because we are not supporting the PoE protocol at the ethernet port of the Profiler. You need a Poe switch to accomplish a setup that involves a Profiler, a Remote and a router.

Thank you very much for your comment, but it is still not 100% clear. The remote is powered by POE that is coming from the ethernet port of the profiler (your documentation implies that), but you say that PoE is not supported by the kemper.

I think you are saying that you don't 'support' it. In other words, it works, but you will not be responsible for anything that may or may not go wrong. Is that right?

Can you please say exactly what type of PoE that the remote requires. You have already stated Mode A which gives us the wires which are used. Can you also please state the voltage requirements and if any 802.3 type requirements exist. This information would then help identify the routers which can be used.

If I can work all this out I will be publishing a youtube video with detailed instructions to help the community.

Thanks, Allen