Posts by FlyingSnowman

Just uploaded a lot of profiles on Rig Exchange of the famous Marshall Major head, alone and in combination with the BSM Studio 75 treble booster and the Mesa VTwin tube preamp pedal. Best used with a Strat, to get close to Ritchie Blackmore's sound! Best sound (IMHO) = "Major BSM S75 2".

Also uploaded a bunch of the Marshall Vintage Modern VM2266C combo. Again, with and without the BSM Studio 75 treble booster and the Mesa VTwin tube preamp pedal. Best used with a humbucker-type guitar. Best sound (IMHO) = "VM2266C 15" and "VM2266C 29 DynRng".

All these profiles were taken as Direct Amp profiles, tapping off the sound with a speaker DI. So the cabinet parameters are not set. I use the Kemper with a Marshall 1960 Vintage 4x12" speaker cabinet.

Hope you enjoy!

It's nice to have everything in one box named the Kemper. But some of us (including me) are quite demanding as far as quality of effects is concerned.
    I've been fiddling around but wasn't able to reproduce the automatic wah's of the Electro Harmonix Q-Tron and Bass Balls or the Boss T-Wah and Dynamic Filter effects. I have both the Q-Tron and Bass Balls and love them. But I do not wish to bring them along with me all the time, I would love it if they were integrated in the Kemper!
    Cheers,
    Eric

It's nice to have everything in one box named the Kemper. But some of us (including me) are quite demanding as far as quality of effects is concerned.
    I've been fiddling around but wasn't able to reproduce the warm sound of the Schulte Compact Phaser A (or the Krautrock KRP-1 phaser). Since this is Germany's own heritage (think of Klaus Schulze, Kraftwerk, ...), it would make sense if Kemper tried to reproduce this in their amp.
    I would love it if they were integrated in the Kemper!
    Cheers,
    Eric

I've been fiddling around but wasn't able to reproduce the warm settings of the Electro Harmonix flanger (Electric Mistress) or the A/DA Flanger. I have them both and love them. But I do not wish them along with me all the time, I would love it if they were integrated in the Kemper!
    Cheers,
    Eric

I really need help here! Still struggling with this. I bought the Samson S-Direct DI box. Connected the speaker out of the Marshall Major to the input of the S-Direct. From there, take the output/link to the speaker input, and the output to the Kemper return with a XLR cable.

I tried profiling it (unchecking the cabinet option), and played around with different volumes on the Major, as well as changing the return level on the Kemper (started with + 33 and ended with -5).

I get two different errors, depending on how loud the volume was set.

Error
    External Amp too noisy!
    Please reduce Gain and repeat Profiling.

Error
    No external Amp connected or Volume too low!
    Please check and repeat Profiling.

Furthermore, when I DO hear something coming out of the Kemper, it's a loop... It's as if he sampled a part of what I played, and keeps on looping that!

I installed the latest version.

Please HELP!

Thanks

Hi

Thanks for your help. I can understand the second part - that I need a direct box connected to the amp's PREAMP OUT or SEND output.

Regarding the first answer, it's not clear to me. In the manual (Kemper Profiler Addendum 3.0), on page 11, it says : "A Direct Amp Profile, tapped at the power-amp speaker output, using an appropriate DI box." So it seems to be connected to the power-amp speaker output (and not to the speaker cabinet because how would you do that? I have no idea...). But... if you connect a direct box to the power-amp speaker output, and it's not an attenuator, you may blow up the amp (if it's a tube amp). That's why I use the attenuator. A tube amp expects a load from the speaker. The attenuator simulates that load.

Can you clarify what you mean with "speaker level direct box, connected to a guitar cabinet" ? And maybe tell me which devices you are talking about? Because I never heard of that. Thanks a lot!

kind regards,
    Eric

I'm having a problem creating a direct amp profile, from a Marshall Major. The Major's speaker output is connected to a power attenuator, the TAD Silencer. I take the TAD Silencer's Line Out and connect that to the return input of the Kemper. But I always get the error message that the amp is too noisy... I reduced the gain and the volume to a minimum, but without any results. Also reduced the return input level on the Kemper to a minimum. Sometimes it does work, at a very silent volume, but then the result on the Kemper sounds very very distorted, even if I tried to profile a clean signal... I also tried with the EVH 5150 III 100W amp. Same result. Even tried the Send output of the EVH, and the PreAmp out of the EVH, going straight into the Kemper return input (without using the TAD Silencer). What can be the reason? Any help is appreciated! I'm using the latest Beta version (3.02).

Hi fisbus,
    Thanks for your answer.
    The DI is the attenuator (TAD Silencer), which can function either as a load box, either as a DI with load on the speaker. I use it as the DI. So it's hooked up between the speaker output of the amp and the speaker. And I still hear the signal in the speaker, so that there is this important interaction. But the Line Out signal of the DI box is too hot. I tried putting it to a minimum, but it's still too loud... Very weird...

I'm having a problem creating a direct amp profile, from a Marshall Major. The Major's speaker output is connected to a power attenuator, the TAD Silencer. I take the TAD Silencer's Line Out and connect that to the return input of the Kemper. But I always get the error message that the amp is too noisy... I reduced to gain to a minimum. Also reduced the return input level on the Kemper to a minimum. Still got the error message! Help! Anybody got a similar experience making a direct amp profile?

I'm having a problem creating a direct amp profile, from a Marshall Major. The Major's speaker output is connected to a power attenuator, the TAD Silencer. I take the TAD Silencer's Line Out and connect that to the return input of the Kemper. But I always get the error message that the amp is too noisy... I reduced to gain to a minimum. Also reduced the return input level on the Kemper to a minimum. Still got the error message! Help! Anybody got a similar experience making a direct amp profile?

See file "Kemper Profiler Addendum 3.0.pdf", page 10:

The typical interactions between the original tube power-amp and the cabinet, are captured within the Amplifier Profile. The result is thus highly authentic, and ready to be amplified by a solid-state amp, or the optional, built-in class-D power-amp of Profiler PowerHead and PowerRack.
    Fully authentic results can be achieved by creating or using so-called Direct Amp Profiles. This is described further below.

Fully is definitely better than "highly"! Or otherwise, the documentation is wrong and unclear...

P.S.: my speaker IS connected during the profiling...

Back to my question: see page 11 : A Direct Amp Profile, tapped at the power-amp speaker output, using an appropriate DI box.
    That's what I'm doing. Taking the line out of the speaker attenuator box, which is connected to the power-amp speaker output. I always get the problem that the amp is too noisy. Can somebody please help me?

From what I read in the documentation of version 3.0, it should be better than a profile taken from a cabinet + mike...
    I tried taking the line out of the TAD Silencer, and connect that to the return input of the Kemper.
    I always get the error message that the amp is too noisy... I reduced to gain to a minimum. Also reduced the return input level on the Kemper to a minimum. Still got the error message! Help!

I give up. I tried again so many times this morning. Amp in the other room. Different mike positions. Different settings on the amp. No effects, not on the Kemper, not on the amp. Refining profile several times... I also bought the VM2266 profiles from Andy, they don't sound like the original either. Too much bass, not enough attack, hard mid... I'm just gonna keep the Marshall and not sell it anymore.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and your help.