Posts by citizengain

Yes, I forgot to say that I don't consider that clip fizzy. I think auditory masking takes care of the high frequencies in a mix.

When playing live, I put LP at 5-7k and on lead sounds sometimes as low as 4k...

Quick jam with this profile. I turned the gain up to 7.8 and made some adjustments to my guitar (pickup height / pole height)
    Only post EQ is LP at 12k and Valhalla reverb

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Out of curiosity, what is the the point of low passing that high? Is there something to be cut? I may be deaf, but to me, the fizzyness starts to fade somewhere around 8k.

Put Studio EQ or Graphic EQ after the Stack Section, for example at Slot X. Then apply Low Pass at desired frequency (8k?).

I don't know if it has something to do with the freezing, but problems started when we got a Midisport 4x4 to distribute Program Changes to four destinations. One goes to me, other to the other guitarist and the remaining two go to the keyboardist and FOH.
    The PCs are being sent from QLab, which is then connected to Midisport. QLab is on channel 1 and all the four PCs that Midisport sends are also on channel 1.
    So, for example, in the beginning of a song, four different PCs are being sent. Midisport separates the four midi outputs so that each midi output gets only one PC. For example, in the beginning of a song it might send PC1 to me, PC2 to the other guitarist, PC3 to the keys and PC4 to FOH. The midi output that is connected to my Kemper only sends PC1. My Kemper is set on Omni.

It is quite hard to pinpoint this problem since it happens in the midst of a concert and quite randomly. For example, it happened on three gigs on row, but then the four gigs that I've had until this day went fine.

Is there a MIDI event happening at this point or just before?
    When I was debugging my homemade MIDI pedal I could freeze the KPA with clumsy programming of my pedal, even though it would continue to play sounds.

I notice the freezing when my rhythm sound doesn't change to the solo sound. This happens in song number 5. The problem is that the freezing could be happened at any point between that solo change or the last time the sound changed, which is in the song number 2. Between those points, it's only the same rhythm sound.
    I programmed the same midi sequence that proceeds the freezing into Logic and left it running a whole night, but couldn't reproduce the freezing.
    @Gizmo did you analyze what kind of midi command froze your Kemper?

Hey

Question I downloaded an amazing profile of a 5150II from a fellow named Alex on the rig exchange. His profile says he is in the Alabama area. I am just wondering if any of you guys know him and does he have any more profiles of this amp. Its a great profile and I would love to have a few more . I am blown away by how good this profile is.

Thanks !
    Tim

Late answer, but I have to agree. This profile is excellent.

My Kemper has frozen say seven times since the last September. What is interesting is that my spare Kemper, which is connected via the main one's midi through, hasn't frozen.

By freezing I mean that the sound is on but the unit doesn't respond to anything except unplugging the power cable. After that it has worked good, until the next time it has happened.

I get the midi PCs from QLab so the program does all the sound changes. One thing is also that the freezing has always happened at the same part of the show.

I contacted the support and they suggested changing the order of the main and spare. I'm still in process of trouble shooting since the freezing happens so randomly and not so often that it is quite hard to pinpoint the problem.
    And of course it hasn't happened even once since I contacted the support.

I've been always using the latest firmware release.

The CabMaker doesn't do perfect job when converting IRs into a .kipr. In my experience they, in many cases, suffer form the same shortcomings as the profiling process when it is not spot on. Meaning the sub 100Hz frequencies are reduced, there is a bump above 100Hz and some other differences in the mid, high-mid area. As if the IRs were "kemperized".
    I don't mean the converted IRs are useless, by no means, they just don't sound exactly as the original IRs.

These sound pretty similar. The low-end issue is usually the easiest to spot when there are some palm muted low string riffs.

Apparently there are only like five of us in the guitar playing community that find this frustrating. And it isn't a kemper problem. it is the same problem that has plagued every modeling amp/pedal device going back to the 90's digitech multieffect era, and the fender cyber-twin of the early 2000's. No matter how good they sound or feel, at the end of the day, you only need 3-5 core tones based with different levels of gain for live use. Even if you use a bunch of time-based effects and create song specific patches, they're all going to be based on one of your core gain stages, which you'll likely want to adjust from time to time. And you always want to retain the ability to just make quick tweaks during sound checks. That's why over the years I kept going back to real amp/pedal set-ups, was because I missed the simplicity of just tweaking an overdrive pedal and/or my amp when these sounds needed tweaking.

Word.

An additional idea to this feature would be such that there would be a mode where the profiler would remember the changes without hitting Store. Then it would be almost as convenient as a real amp. Meaning that when you adjust something for example in the middle of a song, the changes would be remembered the next time you switch to that sound.

I too think that Kemper cabs sound in many cases better than IRs. Now if only somebody would make as extensive a library of pro level Kemper Cabs as Redwirez, Ownhammer or Celestion. Using good equipment, EQing out the extensive lows and highs etc.

I once suggested Kevin at Ownhammer to make Kemper cabs, but he wasn't too excited about that, at least at that time.

Speaking of Kemper's EQ response, my limited experience is that Kemper quite ofter produces a bump above 100Hz and a dip from 90Hz downwards. That may be the reason Kemper sometimes sounds more "boxy" or "congested" or "smaller" than the original source. There are other differences too, but this phenomena is the most consistent in my, again limited, experience. Something like in this picture:

Much, much better. The Kemper profile is the 1st sample, but If I drop the level of the KPA clip by .3dB, the differences (in tone) become practically imperceptible.
    What did you do differently?

I agree that these are much closer. And the first sample is louder, which makes this even harder. Could you ( @Webb) match the levels so that it wouldn't introduce yet another variable?