Posts by billbixby

The lastest firmwares allow to profile in 2 steps:
    - Amp only
    - Amp + cab
    Using this, you can create "merged profile" that contains information for amp and cab separately

Other profiles (the "studio" ones) do not have all these information to remove "properly" the cab section. But there is a specific algorithm (CabDriver) that attemps to estimate in a profile, what is the contribution of the cab. This has been existing for a long time.

Man this thing is confusing as all hell.
    How do I know what is a studio profile?
    I do not profile, I just use existing profiles. So say I have a rig I like but want to change the cabinet using the IR's I imported. If I just switch the cabinet on the rig or preset, part of the existing cab profile is still in the preset correct?

Couple questions. Trying to understand this so bear with me

A profile is a combination of the amp and the cab. Direct profiles are sort of split, not as one, meaning the head and cab are separated by an algorithm correct?

What I do not understand is this. Within each profile, or rig, you can change the cabinet. But if the profile is the sum of both the cabinet and the amp, then is it recommended to change the cabinet?

I know with direct profiles you can change the cabinet as well, and it seems to me the direct profiles are better suited for IRs?

Finally, I guess the latest firmware comes with some profiles that are direct profiles? How do you tell which ones are the direct profiles?

Hope this isn't too confusing and someone understands what I'm trying to throw down here.

I got three books here folks and a lot of reading to do. I thought I read this already, but can't seem to pinpoint which book and where. I did some searching for the specific question and could not find anything.

My question is this. Profiles were originally created as a whole, with amp and cab. I know I read somewhere in one of these books that there exists a new option somewhere, where you can separate out the amp from the cab in the profile so you can use an IR, rather than use an IR on top of the original profile which will contain both the amp and cab as a whole.

Make sense?

[Blocked Image: https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t31.0-8/12339489_1668342053443025_5742575539876582675_o.jpg]

I'm using Jacksons. Mahogany bodies. 1 with Black Winters <<< have a hard time with these and the amplifire. Sounds like mud no matter what I do. Another Jackson with SD 59's in it. This is my best sounding guitar. The other 2 have DiMarzio Dominions.

My ear is my own. What most people like, I do not. The 5150 profiles that come with the Amplifire suck. I don't know who gets paid to make these but Christ do they suck. I like Gary Holt's tone. Always have. I also like Slayers tone as well. Metallica? Maybe Kill em all, not so much the newer shit. I've always liked high gain and saturation and I play very percussive like. 000 0000 000 0000 00 0 0 0 0 you dig? I like to hear the crispness of the pick attack. I don't really dig the muddy recto tones, although Ola Englund seems to get a good tone out of those with a proper boost pedal. I don't really scoop the mids too much. Usually run mids at 12:00 or 1:00. Love Lamb of God's tone as far as current bands. Don't really know what else to listen to these days. I don't have time to sift through all the shit out there to get to the good stuff. I listen to Pantera, or did. I like the band, not the tone so much. Seems to have too much sizzle. Too scooped for my taste.

Been reading up a bit on the profiles. Any ideas what to stay away from? I hear that a lot of the user made profiles are crap. I'd prefer to pay than waste my time. Line 6 has this tone match in the cloud thing. 99% of the presets people make on there are complete rubbish. I'm hoping this will be a better experience.

Thanks guys, I can't believe I'm actually getting one of these. Long story short. "USE" to have Line 6 Crap. I say "CRAP" and "USE" to. I've had every single device they ever put out except for the helix, so I can't comment on that. I do have an amplifi 150 for vacations and stuff, or whenever I feel like giving my ears a good solid beating.

A year or so ago, or whenever the initial buzz started, I saw the "Amplifire" and thought it was dumb. I said "who would buy that?" Thinking small = crap. Well a month ago I bought one, and a CLR (which I sold) and was astounded how good the thing sounded. So much so, that I got bit by the new technology. So much so that I now have the Kemper on order. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I have a friend that has 8 tube amps and he keeps telling me that the Kemper is all he needs and the rest just collects dust. I heard it at his house, but through a passive 15" PA speaker and his guitars are not setup like mine really, so I didn't get a good feel for it. So after I got the amplifire, I started drooling over the AX-8 and got on the list.

I have no idea how long that will be and while searching the net, I came across a kemper video and sort of forgot I ever wanted one. Sort of like a light bulb going off in my head. Now my wife does this weird spiritual stuff. You basically write on a piece of paper what you want, visualize it for 10 minutes and imagine yourself having it. Then you put the paper in the box and forget you ever asked. Well I had completely forgot that about a year ago this time, I put a piece of paper in that box that said "Kemper" on it. In my mind at first I'm like "I'll never have 2k for one of those" but went along with it and visualized what it would feel like walking in my studio and seeing it. I did the last step of the process which is a "thank you" and put it in the box and considered it finished.

Now one can come up with all sorts of theories and this and that whether that reality creation stuff is BS or not. But when I had that light bulb moment, it sort of hit me and I had a "holy f*****g sh*t" moment.

So I'm pretty stoked about this. I have come to the conclusion that I've got to stop buying and selling stuff, so this is sort of my last big purchase in a while. I am a pretty fussy dude. I like the amplifire, but sometimes it seems like it's got a little too much high end or a little too digital. But not buzz saw like, like the Line 6 stuff I've had in the past.

Wondering what the major difference would be here.

Powered Kemper > passive Atmonic CLR monitors

Non powered Kemper > active Atomic CLR monitors.

Would like to go the Powered Kemper route as this would mean less cables (power cable to monitors)

What you think?

With me, I don't really care about stage, with Thrash / Metal etc... it always sounds like crap live. I'm more interested in using it at home in my studio at pretty loud levels. The primary factor for me is the tube amp feel / sound.

I know some will say, buy a tube amp. Well I have a MKV head already. This is more or less for more tonal diversity, with retaining some of that tube feel.

I did try a friends Kemper, but it was at a low volume at his house where he can't crank the thing. He's got the powered version but I heard it through KRK studio monitors.

About to pull the trigger, but this is driving me nuts. I've researched this to no end and I still don't know which end is up.

I'm contemplating the following.

I already have 2 2x12 recto cabs. So with that, I'm thinking to get the powered KPA

But, some of the stuff I've read, said you get a better tube like response from a non powered KPA and a couple powered cabs, in this case it would be 2 atomic wedges.

1,2,3..... GO