Question on using IR's

• I got three books here folks and a lot of reading to do. I thought I read this already, but can't seem to pinpoint which book and where. I did some searching for the specific question and could not find anything.

My question is this. Profiles were originally created as a whole, with amp and cab. I know I read somewhere in one of these books that there exists a new option somewhere, where you can separate out the amp from the cab in the profile so you can use an IR, rather than use an IR on top of the original profile which will contain both the amp and cab as a whole.

Make sense?

[Blocked Image: https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t31.0-8/12339489_1668342053443025_5742575539876582675_o.jpg]

• Direct Amp Profiles
    Direct Amp Profiles consist of the pre-amp and power-amp of the reference amp, and have the distinct benefit of making a solid-state power-amp sound like a tube power-amp. Even the important impedance interactions between the power-amp and the speaker cabinet are captured, despite the cabinet itself not being included.
    A Direct Amp Profile can run a physical cabinet with the highest possible authenticity, amplified by a solid-state amp, or the built-in class D power-amp of PowerHead and PowerRack. No tube power-amp is required, because the power-amp interactions are already captured within the Direct Amp Profile and played back perfectly, via a linear power-amplifier. Playing back a Direct Amp Profile through a tube power-amp instead, would not lead to an authentic sound, as you would end up with two tube-amps in the chain - one virtual, and one physical.
    Since the Cabinet Module of any Direct Profile is empty, it could also be enhanced by a Cabinet Profile from another Rig or Cabinet Preset. (OR AN IR CONVERTED TO A KEMPER CAB WITH THE APP YOU CAN DOWNLOAD FROM THE KEMPER WEBSITE - Paul) To do this, bring Cabinet Module into focus and turn the BROWSE knob to locate a suitable cab from your own Presets, or any other Rig.

• Anyway, you can kill the cab portion of any profile, regardless of the way it has been created. The use any other cab, a cab created by converting an IR, or an IR in a DAW.

:)

• there seems to be a little bit of confusion going on ;)

it was always possible to separate the Cab portion of the Profile from the Amplifier - after all, there are AMPLIFIER and CABINET slots in the STACK section.
    If a so called Studio profile is made, the point of separation between AMPLIFIER and CABINET is determined by a very good algorithm, since the Profiler has no other way of knowing where this point is.
    If a Studio profile and a Direct Amp profile of the very same setup are taken (basically one right after the other) - you can create a Merged profile. Since the Profiler now 'knows' exactly where the amp ends (Direct Amp profile) and the cabinet begins so to speak, the point of separation is now not just a very, very good estimate, but completely authentic.

to me personally, a profiled cabinet pretty much always sounds better - or better: more authentic - than an IR (and I've been using IRs ever since Sonic Foundry's Acoustic Mirror DX plugin was released and I'm very familiar with all the IR vendors out there). I think this is because IR creators tend to set up a series of scenarios without knowing part of the equation (amp used, gain, setting, etc.) while taking a profile is happening in a very defined setting. You're going after one sound, with this amp, and set it all up accordingly.

Interestingly enough (sorry for rambling) this doesn't lead to a cabinet that works in only this one context, but amazingly in quite a large number of scenarios, due to it's authenticity - I think.