Powered or Non powered KPA

• About to pull the trigger, but this is driving me nuts. I've researched this to no end and I still don't know which end is up.

I'm contemplating the following.

I already have 2 2x12 recto cabs. So with that, I'm thinking to get the powered KPA

But, some of the stuff I've read, said you get a better tube like response from a non powered KPA and a couple powered cabs, in this case it would be 2 atomic wedges.

1,2,3..... GO

• You'll likely get a lot of opinions. I'll give you the "no opinion included" version. The bottom line is - no matter what opinions you receive, you will not know unless you try it yourself.

If every sound you want to use will sound great through a pair of 2x12 recto cabs, the powered head will give you a sound and feel like a real guitar amp. It can be miced onstage, or a line can be sent to the PA (the line to the PA would include Kemper cabinets)

If you want to use sounds that would compromised through recto cabs, then consider powered full range cabinets (OR - use a powered head with passive monitors). The trade off is, you will be listening to the amp/cab and microphone sound onstage. The feel is more like really loud studio monitors - a subtle difference to some, a big difference to some.

• With me, I don't really care about stage, with Thrash / Metal etc... it always sounds like crap live. I'm more interested in using it at home in my studio at pretty loud levels. The primary factor for me is the tube amp feel / sound.

I know some will say, buy a tube amp. Well I have a MKV head already. This is more or less for more tonal diversity, with retaining some of that tube feel.

I did try a friends Kemper, but it was at a low volume at his house where he can't crank the thing. He's got the powered version but I heard it through KRK studio monitors.

• Yep, a very linear active cab (or a linear power amp + a linear passive cab) will let you hear each profiles the closest to how they have been created.
    It's not that a guitar cab will sound less "tubey": it will just sound different than the original profile, because a guitar cab imparts a strong character to any sound.
    You might kill the cab portion of the profiles by pushing a button, and use your cab(s): your result will be as you were playing many different amps through the same cab: you'll like some a lot, some others not at all... but you will always be able to tweak them.

OTOH, buying a passive Profiler and an aftermarket power amp will make you save some money (in some cases lots of money).

Note: the above is only true for the Lunchbox format, not for the rack format:)

A final note: if you buy a(ny) linear power amp, you'll be able to go the guitar cab route or the linear passive cab one.

HTH :)