Posts by Horspip

In case it's of any help or interest to anyone, I think I discovered the reason for the feedback in my headphones.

I had previously stated that nothing was connected to any of the outputs on the rear of my Kemper. This was, in fact, incorrect; I have a short lead permanently connected to the Monitor output, so that during setup, I can connect quickly to the power amp, if I'm using one.

At home, just running through some Performances on my Profiler with just headphones connected, the aforementioned Monitor out lead was not connected to anything (i.e. power amp). As soon the headphone feedback started, I pulled this lead out of the Monitor Out on my Kemper and the feedback stopped.

I have no idea why this was causing feedback on high gain profiles, but it seems that this was the case.

Mine is an unpowered Profiler also.

With the Profiler sitting on the desk and nothing connected to the outputs on the rear panel whatsoever - just headphones connected to the front headphone socket, and a guitar in the front input, of course - the feedback is exactly as DamianGreda describes in the previous post, whenever the Monitor Output is at anything above zero.

I will check tomorrow to see if I have activated "Monitor Stereo" and report back.

Thank you for your reply, Burkhard . I did actually experience this in a gig situation, so was aware of it, but I actually had the squealing feedback in my headphones whilst at home, with nothing connected to Aux In, and the Aux In level at zero.

I've experienced it again since the last time. The circumstances are as follows:

Guitar connected to the front panel input. Headphones connected and Headphone volume at the halfway mark. No other connections, i.e. nothing connected to Monitor Out or Direct Out.

As I scrolled through my Performances, certain ones induce a very high-pitched squealing - usually the high-gain ones or ones with a distortion pedal in the Stomp section. When it happens, if I go to the Output section and turn Monitor Volume to zero, it stops.

I had a quick search and couldn't find anything related to this, so apologies if it has been covered previously.

I have a strange issue: high pitched, squealing feedback in my headphones when using higher-gain profiles.

I have discovered that it only happens when the Monitor Volume is above zero (i.e. the lowest setting) in the Output Settings. When Monitor Volume is at zero, it stops. This isn't a problem when playing with headphones normally, except that the singer in one of my bands refuses to wear in-ears, so I have to use a cab for him. The rest of us use in-ears, so the problem arises: I'm using Headphone Volume plus Monitor Volume and the result is unbearable feedback in my 'phones.

Is this something in my settings? Is it a fault? It seems as though there is signal bleed from one output to the other.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Like I said above, I guess I'm lucky with the amps I have, everything you plug into them sounds great. Yes, the hollow body is a 1959 ES225TD that my dad bought new in 1960.

I suppose the very nature of the Kemper is that it is effectively whatever you want it to be. Inevitably, the price of such versatility is lots of tweaking.

It would be interesting to know whether profiles of your amps would have the same characteristics - that everything you plugged into them sounds great.

Cool history of a cool guitar!

I'm not trying to provoke anyone at all. I've had my KPA for about a month, and it is the first piece of digital gear that I've ever bought, except for a couple of Strymon pedals. I'm still on the steep end of the learning curve, and there are some things that I really really like about the KPA. I think it will become a heavily used tool in my tool box.

That said, I guess I'm lucky to have some world class amps, mainly an original 5e5a Tweed Pro and a Trainwreck Rocket. They're both pretty flat in terms of eq. I can plug any guitar I own into them from jazz boxes to Filtertron equipped Teles to p90's, PAF's, doesn't matter. Very small adjustments of the bass and treble and they all sound stunning. I definitely haven't figured out how to get that from the Kemper. It took me hours to tweak most of my rigs last night to create rigs specifically for a traditional Tele. I think I'll have to do the same thing for a Cabronita Tele with filtertrons. Just takes a lot of time.

I regularly play with a band where my main guitar is a Gibson ES135 with P90s. My backup guitar for that gig is a Jazzmaster.

The Jazzmaster is so different that I had to create a duplicate set of performances for that guitar.

It really took no time at all: I duplicated each rig and tweaked the EQ and a few amp parameters until I was happy. If I swap guitars during a gig, each Jazzmaster Performance is one bank up from its equivalent ES135 Performance.

It was actually much harder to do the same thing when I was using a Mesa Roadster for that gig.

Incidentally, DeeBoughton , is that an eES225 in your photo?

In my experience, the vast majority of people can not tell the difference between tubes if you blind fold them (blindfold the people not the tubes). Tube rolling usually results in changes so subtle that they are not noticeable. There may be exceptions granted, but rolling is not typically nearly as influential on amp tone as a small adjustment in tone pots. YMMV.

Completely agree.

Unless there is a fault with the valves (tubes), I've never been convinced that there were worthwhile changes to be had from swapping them.

The huge difference is speakers.

I used the update at a gig on Saturday night, with no issues whatsoever.

I had the beta installed prior to that, too.

I have a 40-song setlist, using a performance per song. There are about 20 different rigs, numerous effects, morphing, volume and wah. I made no adjustments before the gig and everything was exactly as it should be.

Except my playing. :(