Posts by grtrzndrums

I am sure this has been covered in the past, I am really just needing the quick best answer as I have 3 days to sort it out.

I am in a Steely Dan tribute band and the songs run back to back, maybe 2 seconds at best between songs if any, it's just how the band leader rolls, no need for discussion here on changing that. (so, no time for guitar changes and my preference is just to have the guitar I'm playing all night do what I need at the push of a button and it's been working out, There are about 5 songs that pop up I need to switch to an acoustic sound, Rikki, Any Major Dude, Deacon and so on...

I use a kemper stage for this gig and I'm on a Larry Carlton patch most the night, but I will need to hit that acoustic patch and right now it's set for "Morgan Acoustic Strat". Which surprisingly doesn't sound bad considering I'm playing a semi-hollow body electric guitar with Fishman Fluence actives Pups. (It's also not breath taking, either) I have noodled and tweaked as much as I can and I just can't get any more out of it and I am 80% satisfied (dangerous territory ), I can totally play the show Saturday the way it is and it will be acceptable. However, I would like to improve upon (if quick and easy) if the community sees anything glaring I may have missed.

Signal path on stage for the acoustic patch is as follows... input >>> Acoustic Sim>>>>AMP (morgan) >>>(CABINET= OFF)>>>>Delay Widener>>>>Legacy reverb (and I absolutley have to dial back the clean sense to make this work on this patch, this patch doesn't like that hot active pup signal, but once dialed back and saved, it's working fine, input light stays green)

(my suspicions)

I have the CAB sim/Cabinet OFF here and I have a hunch that I could be doing something here that could improve the situation. Are there CAB IR's made for acoustic or is best practice still to not use one in this electric guitar/FAKE acoustic simulation which many have been doing.

If you have the secret sauce please send it my way, if you know the thread that already has been discussed on this, send it. I like to play first and deal w technology last.

Thanks for any help in advance!

I am going to start out saying banana HAHA!

Anyway... I run in ears, play live with my kemper rig every week. As you continue on with this you, learn more and well.... you want more too, right!?

So here it is...

3 issues
    I like cabs on in my ears

I like cabs on FOH

I don't like cabs on for my Powerack hitting my 4 12's (we do a lot of backlining in small/mid bars and that is actually part of the mix that works for us) It feels like a cab on a cab and gives it a line 6 feel if you know what I mean.

Is it an all or nothing game or can I do some cab on/off routing. I basically would like to have cab on for everything, but kill cab for power-rack monitor send hitting my standard 4-12 cab.

It's not the end of the world if I can't do this, but if it can be easily done, I would love to know how.

PS: I would really like to have a preset hit my ears and another seperate preset hit my cabs, but we will save that for another day HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! Want/wish in one hand and $h!t in other and see which one fills up quicker!!!

Thanks!!!

Totally was that. Super simple fix. upgrade the damn firmware... This is a good reminder to us all I guess folks, time flys by. I was only like a 1.5 years or so back, and I might as well been on mars.

I would have posted earlier, but you know I had to play bark at the moon like 20 times with the new zakk tones, and play bad boys/whitesnake with the Sykes tones. I apologize that I lost myself in it. Man that's a really good pack. Next week I may lock myself in a room and go for Crying in the rain.

Thanks for the help everyone. Now I need to take some of my monkey man wahs and attach them to these killer profiles so I can gig them out this weekend. And do some housekeeping with the kemper. You all are great, always there for us.

Thanks Again!!!

Thanks for the help, I will do the update as soon as I get home and post the result. I sure hope its something that simple. That would be great!! Being an "in ear monitor player", Kemper has been great in that department. I don't want to start having issues with a set up that's been working so well for me. I've really grown to like it, so much that I really don't do much with it anymore except turn it on and gig with it every week. (Big believer in , "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"). I just wanted some new Zakk profiles after getting back from Moonstock Monday.

Thanks for getting back to me, Monkey_man. I don't post much, but when I do it's usually important and you have helped me many times, thanks for that.

I will check my firmware when I get home from work today. I'm like 99% sure it's 3.2(3) I want to say 3.2 something. (Maybe around a 1.5 years ago? Sounds about right)

The rig pack is from big hairy profiles. Michael with that company is also checking on this for me as well.

I may also try and just grab some other profiles and see if I can load them when I get home to see if it's specific to this pack or not.

I just downloaded rig manager and imported them into the local section. They all appear to be there. I also saved all my 30-40 favs on the kemper and deleted all other profiles (I backed up first) and then tried loading these again.

The Kemper doesn't want to take them. I think something is up with my Kemper. Getting a little concerned....

Bought a new profile pack today, went to load it (less than 50 new profiles) and the Kemper took (2) of the profiles, yes only (2) of the almost 50 and I scroll all rigs, nothing, scroll latest, and I see the 2. Scroll by Author and still only get the 2.

I rebooted, tried again. Didn't work.

I found a new usb stick, formatted it, tried the load again. Didn't work.

Mind you every time I do this the Kemper attempts to load for a few seconds and then tells me something like "yeah, nothing new to load, we have everything Paraphrasing of course"

I want to play man. any ideas? Rather odd..... (I mean I have totally loaded profiles before quite a bit, never had this issue)

Well, after much playing around with this... I found the problem. Here is how it went, and it's now very clear what's happening and I could see this issue coming up on similar type pedals as well, so it may be a noteworthy archive.

What didn't work and the smoking gun? Morley, Kemper?
    I tried tricking the calibration on the kemper by adding different levels of business cards/drink coasters (whatever was laying around) shoving that under the heel pinch point and recalibrating with a couple sweeps and exiting. This proved useless. In the heel/down position the wah would still stay on 50% of the time (when set up to be heel/off) depending on how hard you wanted to stand on the heel. (and we can't have that now, can we? NO!)

Sooo... time to take $h4%# apart, right? and we did!!!

Opened up the Morley M2 which has a pretty simple operating principal. It's basically a linear potentiometer (not a rotory) (think fader pot on mixing console) and it has two pieces of fishing line on both sides of the pot that connect to both the toe and then the heel of the pedal. Basically we have a tug-of-war game going on to make the pot move. Additional note. There is a little spring that keeps a small amount of tensioning pressure on the fishing line on one side only. (it actually favors the adding strength to the toe side of the M2) I noticed the most subtle hint of relaxed fishing line on the heel side when in the heel position and notices the calibration meter on the Kemper was kind of bouncing registering the slightest amount of signal. I realized the Kemper wants to see NOTHING in the heel position. I realized I needed that line to not be relaxed as I could tell it was not zeroing out the linear pot all the way over to one side, like it should be (it was subtle, but yet present) and the Kemper was confirming this by showing a little signal registering. Being old school with the vast knowledge of using weapons like band aids, bubble gum and duct tape for all fixes in life, I pulled the relaxed side fishing line out of the unit, tied a frickn knot in it and reinstalled it. BAM!!!!!! problem solved!!!!! Heel zeroes out every time, kemper turns wah off every time!!!!

Hindsight and Monday morning quarterbacking the situation...

The knot actually puts too much tension as the heel fully tightens the line before reaching physical heel bottom position (what I'm saying is one box knot takes up too much line and gives too much pressure to the pot and I guess if I stood real hard on it, I could potentially break the line or pot now) Looking back, I think twisting the line a couple times or adding small washer to the mating connection may work better and I might still do that. However the pedal works great as it should to get me through the show tonight and I just need to be careful with it until I get more time to mess with the exact length of this fishing line. That IS what the problem is for anyone else who has encountered similar problems.

Moral of the story: Morley makes a nice M2 pedal, beefy in build and feel sweeps the kemper nicley, but it's not perfect and it won't zero the Kemper. They may need to take a better look at this as this is clearly THE PEDALS FAULT I AM SCREWING AROUND WITH THIS WHEN I SHOULD BE REHEARSING FOR THE SHOW TONIGHT!

Cheers, brother and sisters! THE POT IN WHATEVER PEDAL YOU HAVE HAS TO ZERO ALL THE WAY(no room for error here, no forgiveness) l!!!!! And, yes Monkey-man... even though this is not Kemper's issue, I still think they need to add a forgiveness window on the zero point. Let's just say this thing operates on a 0-10 volt principal, Kemper needs a program feature on the pedal calibration page for wah that allows us to set 1 or 2 volts = OFF. Totally agree with you!

Thanks for the help and contributions everyone!

I do see the need for it, I am going to work with trying to faking it out today, by trying to "teach it" less of the sweep on purpose. I don't know if the calibration is a "continuous learner/aka on learning all the time" or if it only learns when you want it to. It's kind of weird how it doesn't "process" your calibration, like tell you it's "done and learned" so to speak. That little bar just sits there and goes back and forth and there is no "wrap up or okay you did it dude" notification. Anyway, I am going to keep working through this today after work and see if I can get it together. I will post my results. I have a show tomorrow night, and want to bring this wah out to the show. Thanks everyone for the help. And Monkey-man I did the Zip download and SO AWESOME! Loved it. You saved me "days" maybe even "weeks" thank you!

everything is going great now, except one thing. the "heel off setting" appears to lose calibration often, like way too often. Can't tell if it's the pedal or maybe I'm not understanding how to calibrate it correctly. It sweeps like a wah just fine, getting it to take the zero position and turn off is another thing. It's intermittent. I wish we had a zero point "window" we could increase.

could be:
    1 the pedal?
    2 operator error calibrating
    3 it's just too sensitive in the kemper

The wah sounds and what I'm getting out of this thing are incredible after using the list of settings.

Hooked up Morley M2 (just arrived today). I plugged in strereo tip,ring, sleeve cable to pedal 1, found a setting in system to calibrate and name it a wah wah.

Picked out a default wah in the efx section and the thing started working right away. It was too easy. I found the heel off setting quickly, that worked great!

So, 5 minutes, unboxed morley M2, works great. Now I have to figure out how to get a wah sound I like out of the Kemper, not too crazy about these standard wahs that come with the Kemper. I also need to check and see if it's in the right place in the signal chain. I mean before Kempers, we always plug the guitar straight into the wah or right after tuner, then hit other effects after wah (most people anyway, I know there are know rules = ). I need to check out where this thing is getting placed. I want it in front of the signal chain.

This is why I like hearing the guitar player's wah pedal diarys, it get's down right personal, doesn't it? as it should be! Yes, very familiar with half cracked, and I do like that a lot. I later moved to an MXR pedal EQ and did the same type of thing and bumped it in and out of the my GCX true bypass for solos. I am now doing similar things with the Kemper EQ. Over time, I have grown to like the spring/off. I can just be very spontaneous with it, but I understand it's not for everyone and that decision is personal. For me, I like the guarantee! When I walk away, I want to know the damn thing is OFF! Nothing worse than playing rhythm for a measure of two after soloing and realizing your F'n wah is on as you superman across the stage to smash it through the stage floor until it's heart stops beating. That happened to me a number of times when owning a cry baby with an overly loud bass player that would have like to name the band Van-BassPlayer.

Today, I still boost the mids on many of solo presets and I'm doing that with the Kemper now. I like that subtle tunnel sound even without movement and it cuts through the mix live.

I will check out this Morley M2 which according to spec it has these things Paults mentioned that are needed. I will report back for anyone else who likes switchless wah. I bought it today. We will see how she works. Looks promising...

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Sounds like some work (more than I want to get into). Sometimes you have to pay to play I guess.

Anyone know of a pedal out there I can buy that already has "spring return/snap back" that meet this "linear response controller" specification? That you don't have to "toe push" to turn on/off.

I can't be alone on this desire for "auto-on when foot is in use, auto-off when foot not in use/spring return zero. It was a brilliant concept when Morley started putting these units out there.

Thanks for the response paults. My volume pedal is now for sale on eBay.

I am very simple in that I only use a handful of presets live (very good ones, hehehe). I also only use a couple tools and one of them is wah pedal.

I have been using my kemper power rack live for a while now with my GCX midi switching floor pedal (just a simple midi switcher that I have used forever and know my way around very well)

My go to pedal has been the Bad Horsie 2 for years, several reasons I like this.
    1) optical on! When I want it, it's there. No standing on it in toe position like cry baby
    2) frequency pot setting, I can kind of set the sweep (we used to stack picks or quarters back in the day)
    3) Spring return

I have been using this with the Kemper, but would like to get away from it. (sometimes the boost gets bumped on accident and distorts my signal, the bad horsie is a power hog as well, I really want to get away from it if I can, I mean I have the Kemper, lets use it, right?)

What's my question right?

I have a Ernie ball Jr. volume pedal (own and paid for! I'm cheap, sorry)

If I modify the pedal to have a spring return, can I effectively get a Bad Horsie 2 wah? Meaning the things I like... turns off auto at heel position, turns on auto if I am using it. I will of course handle the mechanical spring portion to make it return, and I can set the sweep/range in the Kemper? Can it always be available on all my presets, (global) or do I have to set that up in every preset I use?

Is this doable, or do I need to buy the mission pedal. To what I have read, I don't think I need a mission pedal. Additionally, the mission looks like it would functions and feel like a crybaby from what I have read, which I personally am not a fan of. I hate the toe stomp, always have!

Any help would be great. Looking for basic confirmation that what I want to do is "doeable" before I start drilling on my volume pedal and modding it.

Thanks!