Posts by JSB

I use 96KHz, over XLR. The reason for this is lower round-trip latency, for use with DAW plugins, and monitoring in real-time.

If I set my interface and DAW at 44.1KHz, with 128 samples, I get an overall latency of 10-12ms. That's the time it takes for the guitar signal to enter the interface, process through the DAW/plugins, and come back out the monitors.

When I set my interface and DAW to 96KHz, I get an overall latency of 3.65ms. It sounds great to my ears, and it feels correct, when monitoring in real-time.

If you haven't tried it, give it a shot, it may surprise some of the doubters out there.

: NO INSIGNAL FROM MY KEMPER.

Nothing from the SPdif. Switched to the back, line in - not a sound. Nothing in the Focusrite Control software. It playbacks sounds in windows, youtube spotify etc. Just seems like no IN's are working. Was kinda hoping someone here runs with windows 10 and the 6i6 and have seen the same problems?

You might want to see if there are any updates to the drivers and control panel, for your Focusrite.

If you have the newest drivers for w10 and the latest mix control, contact Focusrite support, they'll give you beta drivers and help you resolve this.

I agree Nicky but the way some drivers present this to DAW can be different from different hardware audio interface makers. You're science is correct, but the hardware limitations usually entails that certain low buffer settings are many times not available at higher sample rates so in practice, you generally will have a better chance of getting a functional lower latency performance at the lower sampling rate and not the other way around. If the Focusrite is operational at these low latency numbers at 96khz, that would be amazing.

Not so long ago, it was really expensive to build, or buy a DAW that was capable of solid multi-track recording at 96/192KHz. These days, any i7 PC or Mac should have no problems, especially if using SSD's.

The 2nd Gen Focusrite drivers and hardware, were a huge step up from my 1st Gen 6i6. I have the same PC and DAW software, I changed only the interface, the 1st gen 6i6 would have an overall-latency of 7.65ms at 96KHz, whereas changing the interface and drivers, the new 18i8 is 3.69ms at 96KHz. I always use 128 samples, as that seems to be the sweet spot with my PC hardware.

The 2nd Gen Focusrite seems to be a major improvement. If the KPA could do 96KHz over SPDIF, I'd have nothing left to ask for.

In the pictures you showed, you might want to click on "Hardware setup" or input setup. I bet when you switch from 96k to 44. the buffer size increases and that's why you get more latency. If you pick a buffer size of 128 or 96 or 64 you should get the low latency at 44.1.

I double checked to make sure the sample sizes were set to 128, for both 44.1/96KHz; a 10ms second Overall-latency difference, definitely sounds extreme, but those are the correct numbers being shown.

Also, thanks to Monkey_Man and sambrox, for more accurately presenting what I was trying to say.

Thanks for the reply, CK :thumbup: .
    The overall latency in the DAW was what I was concerned with. If I use 96KHz, I get 3.96ms overall latency, when monitoring in real-time. If I use 44.1KHz, I get 13.1ms overall latency.

In my past experiences, higher latency made playing and monitoring in real-time, feel sluggish, or lagging behind what was being played; playing above 15ms latency, feels awful in headphones for me. I've always tried to get the absolute lowest latency possible, as a rule.

I was also under the impression, that 96KHz is better for effects and pitch shifting.

Is the KPA capable of 96KHz, over SPDIF, with it's current hardware?

The sample rate of a DAW does not directly affect the minimum latency.
    It is the minimum block size that matters. At double sample rate the minimum block size is typically doubled as well, resulting in an unchanged latency.

If only optimization of SPDIF meant, the ability to use 44.1,48, 96Khz.

The higher the sample rate, the less latency through a DAW; which allows for the use of VST's and effects, while monitoring in real-time, without the latency penalty.

Yes, I am currently using XLR out of my KPA, at 96Khz, it does sound great, but if I could do SPDIF at 96Khz, I would have nothing left to add, in terms of improvements, to the KPA.

I am beyond satisfied with the KPA, it's the greatest amp I've ever owned, but add 96Khz over SPDIF, and I'll sell these door-to-door.

@JSB
    Are these Pro strats much different from the Elites;

The Elite has a compound radius, from 9.5 to 14. That seems to be the biggest difference. I've never played the Elite series, but reviews are mixed on them, some complaining that it doesn't sound like a Strat anymore due to the pickups and the flatter radius past the 9th fret.

Hopefully you have a good local music store with a lot of stock to chose from, so you can see how much they differ, from model, to instrument. I got mine online at Reverb, on sale, but I would have liked to pick through a few. Very happy with the Am Strat Pro overall, but if you can, give the new Am Pro Tele a play, I never thought of myself as a Teleguy, but the KPA responds very well to the stock pickups, I can't recommend it enough.

Happy hunting, and try as many as you can.

I just picked up a 2017 American Pro Strat, I have two other Strat's to compare it to. I went with HSS and rosewood for this one.

I really like the new deep-C neck, with the narrow-tall frets, and 9.5 radius. For me, It has just the right amount of shoulder on the neck, to get clean and precise bends, consistently. Never frets out, it feels like less work than my other Strats, to achieve the same results.

The new pickups sound more articulate, or brighter, than my 2013 HSS, or '59 reissue SSS. I'm not sure if I'm completely satisfied with the new SC pickups, they aren't bad in any way, just different, more modern sounding somehow.

I use a Tremel-no on my other Strats to lock out the Trem, for the hardtail experience. I left the new one floating, it stays in tune fairly well.

Treble bleed circuit is nice, the satin neck back feels good too.

The deep-C neck, narrow-tall frets, might not suit everyone, but after getting a Tele with that combo, I had to have a Strat too.

I'm going to have to do something about these stock pickups and tone control, the guitar itself is very nice, but like you said, the tone circuit is lacking. Thanks, Jen.

These truly are outstanding profiles. There are so many good efforts with free profiles out there, it's hard to try them all. But make sure you try these!

I had quit playing my Les Paul for a couple of months, until I heard these profiles.

The Classic 30 drive sm57, is incredible, when added to a drum mix.

Diogo, many thanks for the great work!

Motochick, were you able to buy an upgrade package that included all of these components, or did you search for each upgrade individually?

With the DT770 Pro, 80 Ohms, my Kemper headphone output, and my Focusrite output, are a very close match, nearing identical.

This was the most important factor for me, being able to record and playback, and not feel like something was missing, or different than the source.

I also have have the Sennheiser HD280, which I like a lot too, with Kemper and Focusrite.