Posts by Roeffel

Regarding Line6 knowing them they will release a new flagship with even more bells and whistles. So many options nowadays it's amazing.

Regarding Kemper, they are still the leading company imho regarding stage readyness, reliabilty ! The sounds are still there after all these years. ok they could get into more fancy stuff as the beautifull screen of the prime. But in the end it just looks cool and is easy to navigate. I barely adjust setting on the kemper, once the performances are set it just plug and play ...

Imagine that they would come with a new firmware blasting the competition in space with new capturing tech (or oversampling or whatever you need to make something sounding even better then it already is) and still on the old tech from 10yrs ago :o

The only reason to choose other brands besides looks en UI would be to get a more flexible chain, 4 stomps , 4 fx is kinda limited, but not for me I don't use these complex parralel path and stuff like that. I keep it basic and it sound amazing .. having more options would be tweaking galore until you get sick of it anyway

plug and play ! That what I love

Raf

ps : one thing that also strikes me is that all these companies can use kempers basic principle to capture amps (with the space sounds being generated), and they get away with this ... component modelling is one thing but this is plain piracy of how to achieve a capture of a certain tone

Exactly. That's why I wrote: "the best way is with drums and in a mix then punch through the rigs to see where they sit."

Pre Kemper I learned after I used to sit in my studio for hours getting what I thought was the perfect level for clean, distortion, crunch and leads. After countless times doing that then finding out with the band I wasn't even close I realized I had to have at very least bass and drums playing along. When I'd get home and check out what I did to make everything just right I would be shocked at how much louder the leads needed to be than I would have ever guessed at home and how much lower clean sounds needed to be. If I played my "live" levels for you solo you would think the cleans were too low and lead WAY too loud. I've kinda trained myself to get close knowing that, but I still never get it perfect without being in a mix. Many sound engineers have told me over the years one of the worst things people do with presets is have their cleans too loud (which we all know are generally less compressed). When the guitarist switches to distortion, it sounds anemic in comparison if he isn't riding the slider and good luck with that in a club environment. My goal is always to have my levels so the soundman can continue to focus on vocals or girls he's chatting up and I can tell you the best way is by ear and I normally hate to say that. I wish there was a way to adjust visually but I haven't found a method yet because perfectly level won't work. Leads usually will go and take the place of the lead vocal which is usually much louder than the guitar if you want people to hear what the singer is singing. Once I get my device understood, I can start making intelligent first stabs at it like"OK the lead need so be 6db louder" and this real jangly super clean needs to be 4db lower etc. but it's just a starting point.

I agree when playing thru backline ... this is for our in-ear system so all will hear my patches equally ... indeed the lead boost is still something to consider as well ... I like boosting a bit instead of purely playing with EQ

Raf

I doubt this will work very well.
    Are you measuring peak or RMS?
    Even integrated it is hard to match the loudness of a powerful, mid-heavy distorted sound with a super clean SC tone.
    And these readings will tell you nothing about what will happen to them in a mix.

It's ears, ears, ears, I'm afraid ;)

I just looked at the LUFS by picking hard :) ... to me the rigs are at the same level through my spdif and scarlett 8i6 interface ...

Raf

Thanks I was guessing that because it's an observation tool not really a mastering tool.

I just armed a track in Reaper, started playing and switching rigs and looked at the meter of the youlian app, adjusted the amp volume to level all rigs to -18 dB ... Guess thats how it should be done ?

Raf

Thanks for all the insights guys ...

I used youlian and looked at the values and meter ... I went over all my presets and adjusted them so they all got the same level ...

Fingers crossed :)

Raf

I had a stomp as a backup for my powerrack, wanted the same sounds at rehearsal so bought a stage ...

Then realized it was overkill, sold the rack and now stage only with a seymour duncan powerstage 700 as amp. Don't have a backup yet but in case i need one i allready have an amp to power it ...

I'd get another stomp, maybe gigboard or even an atomic amplifire box mkII look so nice ...

Raf

It's been said a few time how good the quality of the kempers headphone out is... even with my spdif to a scarlett 8i6 I hear a huge difference. Also probably related to the impedance/driver for the output. Drawing more current or something.

I prefer tweaking not on the kempers headphone because I don't want to be dissapointed what i'll hear in the other case :)

Raf

Hey guys, I was wondering if there's a way to audition IR's from rig manager ... lock all but cab, but using the arrows does not seem to do the trick ?

Should they all be loaded in the kemper as presets ?

Thx

Raf

The led changes from green to red ... so in between right before clipping would be yellow ... so in the worst case aka by hitting hard it would not clip ...

I does not hurt to try to change the input sense and see how it behaves !

Good luck

Raf

Hi all, it's been since aug that we did not get any updates for our beloved kemper.

Not that I need it or so, but the silence should mean that they have a new product coming up or that they don't find the need to improve further no ?

What do you guys think ?

Raf

Same here I had it on 5 and the profiles sounded a bit dull ... now at 2.3 and an extra NG in the stomp and voila they are back alive and breathing !

Also I had the feeling that due to this higher setting I could not get enough boost for leads ...

No idea what it actually does ? a compression thing besides the normal NR ?

Raf