Posts by grappagreen

All,

Having had the KPA for a while I want to streamline my workflow using presets if possible. I'm probably doing stuff the very long way at the mo which is somewhat laborious and I'm in danger of wearing the buttons/knobs out on the Kemper :)

I'd done some reading but am not 100% sure about preset levels as it were.. I understand it's possible to create stomp/FX presets but is it possible to create stomp and FX section presets? i.e. if I have a 'clean' set of standard stomps say comp/eq/boost can I save the whole lot as a preset? Same for FX section, say standard delay/verb... Likewise is it possible to save the stack section as a preset once I've tweaked to suit?

Would mean that to build tweaked rigs for performances would seem to be easier -> select stack preset. select stomp section preset and then select FX section preset; a little tweaking and I'm done; loads less button/knob action as it were!

If I'm being crazy and there is a better way they just tell me I'm being an idiot!

Thanks,

Si

Look up Fletcher Munsen curves...

It's why it's fairly pointless setting up your gig level sounds at low volume - well not pointless but when you push the volume the non-linearity of you hearing response will mean you will have to bleed off some bass and treble to get the same perceived sound.

Regards,

Simon

Hi,

You want to take the 'Monitor Out' of the KPA into your CLR and ensure that 'Monitor Cab Off' is not selected.

You can then take your main XLR outs to the FOH in stereo.

I also suggest you go to the output settings and unlink the main stereo out from the master volume so that you use this to control the output of your CLR and adjust the main out levels using the soft knob if you need to. You may also want to be aware of the -12db setting on the main outs if your signal is too hot for the desk.

As a final point I suggest you read the comprehensive manual(s) as all is explained in exquisite detail there..

Hope that helps.

Si

I've got packs 1 & 2 at this point and will be buying more!

I've worked mostly on the clean stuff to start with and I just love the /13 stuff, there is a wonderful Bassman (marked Newest I recall) and the Matchless stuff is great also.

I'm diligently working through the rest over time..

To be honest I have found very few profiles that don't sound killer on first listen and with a little tweaking to suit my setup (Strat) I can't get over how good it's all starting to sound. The profiles are of course easily tweaked to suit you and your tastes/requirements.

My main issue with the Kemper is just the amount of profiles available and the time it is possible to devote to this! Since I got my KPA it has been at the detriment of my playing/practicing but it's something you've just got to go through. Once I'd had a play with Mike's stuff I deleted everything else (backed up of course) and have just focused my attention on 'really' getting to know his content. I've actually researched the source amps where I can, to understand where they are coming from and have then spent time on getting to know the profiles - just like if I actually had the amps. I took this approach as I needed to divide and conquer; I could see my life ebbing away if I didn't make a decision to narrow down my focus :)

I'm sure there are many, many amazing profiles and I know there are lots of brill commercial producers but there comes a point where you've just got to nail your colours to the mast so to speak.

Unless I really can't find what I need in Mike's stuff then I'm just not going to bother looking elsewhere as I only have so much time and I'd like to devote some of it to making music...

Regards,

Simon

Hi all,

My original vision with the KPA was to use it through my regular 2x12 cab on stage with direct profiles but I've changed my mind after some considerable testing and am now sold on the idea that I will be running the thing direct to the FOH and just having some local monitoring so that I can hear what's going on. It's funny but I've done a 180 degree turn on this in a pretty short period of time (never thought would!)

I thought I'd dip a toe in the FRFR water and pushed the button on one of the above. It's seemed very good value and if it didn't work out then I haven't lost a great deal of cash. I wanted something small (so I can squeeze on a usually congested stage) and easily portable and the FRFR decision was based on the fact that I just wanted to be able to hear a representation of what would be going on up through the PA using studio profiles.

Having used it for the first time last night with the band I have to say I'm very impressed given its price point. I obviously have nothing to compare it to but for a small monitor it has loads of power (plenty enough for me to clearly hear what I'm doing) and being a wedge the direct sound pointing it me is so much better than my usual 'cab lower than my knee's' setup and the constant volume increase as I fight everyone else on the band and we all lift volume to try and hear what we're doing!

Maybe it's just me but I'm not overly fussed about the sound quality of the guitar on the stage tbh (although the quality of this speaker seems great and I'm more that happy with what I'm hearing) what matters is the sound out front and since I've moved to MBritt profiles I certainly have no issues with this!

I literally turned up to play last night with my guitar, KPA, Remote and the Altos - sounded great and I reckon is the best set of sounds I've ever had with the least amount of gear I've ever carried!

Living in the modern world isn't all bad it would appear :)

Si

Like many I have a great amp collection that's taken me years to build up. Heck even though I have my Kemper I still have a Kingsley amp on order and can't wait for it to turn up!

The fact of the matter is that I have/buy these things because I am sentimentally attached to the whole idea. I love to get my BIAS checker out and make sure all is cooking - I still play around with the tubes and it gives me a great deal of satisfaction. I even built a Tweed Deluxe 5E3 amp this year and it was a great experience and sounds wonderful...

Everyone should experience the trouser flapping joy of a Marshall or such like through a 4x12 with a LP - it's a visceral experience and if you've never played a tube amp loud you should - it's scary and wonderful at the same time!

Thing is that I can't see my taking any of mine on the road again since the KPA came along... just no need to any more..

Regards,

Simon

Whilst I'd always liked the idea of running the KPA through the PA and removing my current traditional backline to be honest I'd not done this as I was somewhat uncomfortable with the thought.. it's hard to undo 30 years of doing something in a way that you're comfortable with :)

Having seen the positive feedback on Mike's profiles in the forum I mailed him and to my surprise he came back pretty much straight away and suggested I reconsider and try this with a cab on stage to give me a some trad feel and avoid my biggest fear - the sound engineer who just give a monkeys or doesn't know what he's doing!

Somewhat sceptical I bit the bullet and purchased Mike's packs 1 & 2 as they sounded right up my street and I plugged the KPA in this morning using a 1 x 12 in the monitor out (with cab off) and the main outs into the desk. I did my usual which was to lock off all of the FX and prepared myself for potential disappointment.

I couldn't have been more wrong!

I was initially a little concerned that there were only a limited number of profiles (in comparison) for each amp but I seem to have succumbed to the modern complaint: more = better!

I bought the Kemper for live use and these profiles left me (and the band's other guitarist) speechless. They are unbelievable.. Every one of them is just killer, and more important they all seem just about perfect at decent volume levels and feel superb to play..

So today my world changed. KPA will going through the PA and I'll be running a little insurance on stage with some personal monitoring..

Thanks Mike and thanks Kemper..

Regards,

Si

Haven't had the time of the other channels yet but will be in the studio on Sun so will hopefully get at least one of the channels profiled.. will do lots of different settings to give people options :)

Si

Hi,

I'm on the latest beta's for OS/RM and recently had my first go at building a performance using RM.

When editing a performance in RM that is local i.e. not uploaded onto the KPA I can copy and paste rigs into the performance's slots and the rigs audition fine when I click on each slot in RM. If I select a performance loaded on the KPA in RM and edit in the same way i.e. paste a rig into a slot the rig doesn't update. If I look at the KPA screen and go to each slot the original rig is still configured in the relevant slot.

Am I doing something stupid here?

Regards,

Si