Posts by patrick2099

The guy I've had for the last several years doesn't reply to emails and I prefer to do as much business as possible through email. He seems like a good dude, but I just don't think we are a good fit for one another, if he doesn't respond to email. That or maybe he just doesn't work there any more. I haven't ordered anything big since before the lockdowns, and have no idea if they will even still work with you on the price. I did have a few questions and wanted to see what I could get a few pieces of gear for, though.

Hi, Patrick.

See: Sennheiser - International Frequency Advisor

Also - if you hit up Sennheiser via Direct Message on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, or Instagram. They will help.

Thanks a lot ST. I think that's what I was needing. Based upon that, I think the best choice is:

EW-D CI1 Wireless Guitar System - R4-R9

https://www.sweetwater.com/sto…eless-guitar-system-r4-r9

System: Frequency Range:552-608 MHz

The Sennheiser EW-D CI1 Wireless Guitar System - R1-R6 has a smaller band, within that band. Sennheiser EW-D CI1 Wireless Guitar System - Q1-Q6 looks like it may have issues in some states and have licensing issues.

If I search for "Sennheiser EW-D" on Sweetwater, I see three units which appear to operate on different bands:

https://www.sweetwater.com/sto…php?s=Sennheiser+EW-D+CI1

------------------------------------

EW-D CI1 Wireless Guitar System - R4-R9

https://www.sweetwater.com/sto…eless-guitar-system-r4-r9

System: Frequency Range:552-608 MHz

Sennheiser EW-D CI1 Wireless Guitar System - R1-R6

https://www.sweetwater.com/sto…eless-guitar-system-r1-r6

System: Frequency Range: 520-526 MHz

Sennheiser EW-D CI1 Wireless Guitar System - Q1-Q6

https://www.sweetwater.com/sto…eless-guitar-system-q1-q6

System: Frequency Range: 470-526 MHz

Sennheiser has a wireless frequency tool on their website, which appears to be broken. I don't see anything on https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/b…sion/wireless-microphones saying I could not use any of those, but I also haven't had enough coffee yet. Operating in the United States, how would I know which of those three models to choose?

Also, if anyone has a good Sweetwater rep who responds to emails, please let me know. Thanks for the help.

The profiler was definitely involved. When I created those screenshots, I had the the following configuration:

Tech 21 MIDI Mongoose ( https://www.tech21nyc.com/products/effects/midi-mongoose/ ) into the MIDI input of M-Audio Midisport Uno ( https://m-audio.com/products/view/uno )

MIDI output of M-Audio Midisport Uno into Kemper Profiler MIDI input

USB output of the M-Audio Midispot Uno into my desktop PC, to monitor the signals.

I tested many times, prior to creating the screenshots and the results were consistent. What is in my screenshots are the MIDI commands being sent every time. This is what I expected, as there is no way to reprogram the MIDI Mongoose to send other commands. Those are the only commands it can send.

I'm not 100% sure of how the MIDI programming works for the Kemper, but based on what I can do with a DAW, in Performance mode, you can:

1) Change performances

2) Changes current slot in your current performance

3) Turn stomps on or off

4) Turn post amp effects on or off

5) Adjust values for effects

I'm not aware of any PC or CC that could be sent that says "Add a new effect to performance 3, slot 1 into stomp 4, which wasn't saved as part of that performance." I could definitely be wrong on that, though.

Even if that was the case, however, and there was a MIDI command I could send to invoke that behavior, then when you select stomp 4, it should say "Chorus" and not "Delay". Or when it happens in stomp two, it should say "Chorus" and not "Compressor". What the text says when you long-press the button not matching what is actually happening would also be a problem.

I don't have another gig until next Friday. I may just try loading the most recent release-level OS onto the Kemper. Hopefully we will get a chance to practice before then, so I can test it out.

I have been running a Shure GLDX16 for around 5 years gigging with it all around my area. I have had no issues with it at all. I also have a Sennheizer EW (analog) that I have had for a little longer than the Shure. I have had no issues with it either. This is actually my second of these units. I ran the first one until it died. It lasted me about 10 years. I purposely bought one of them in analog and the other in digital because for a while I ran them both at the same time. I ran one for my acoustic sound and the other for my electric sound with a PRS P22. They worked very well together. In the last band I was in the other guitar player also ran the GLDX16 so we had two of them on the same stage as well as my Sennheizer unit and we didn't have any Issues. I have owned a few wireless units over my life and I can tell you that I won't spend my money on anything that doesn't have either a Shure or Sennheizer name on it. I feel they are worth the extra money. I had good luck with the Shure PG series as well. I put a lot of use on them and they held up.

Thanks for the info! Leaning heavily towards the Sennheiser EW-D CI1 ( https://www.sweetwater.com/sto…rwUx0Mo37GUkBwL31FWUui2U0) now. I just wish there were some more reviews on it. I know Sennheiser isn't going to release junk, though, so I don't know what I'm so worried for.

I can definitely throw my experience in here, I ran a Line G90 for 10+ years with no problems, but since the advent of 2.4ghz networked stage systems (Mixing desks, IEM systems etc) I had to get rid of it because I was getting regular long cut-outs. I did some research and have heard from friends with first-hand experience of the same issues with Shure GLX systems. It stands to reason, you're effectively using signals in the wi-fi band that do not announce and differentiate themselves from other systems.

Speaking to a tour manager friend of mine, it's not unusual for support bands with digital wireless to be told to not use them by Tour Managers, as it often screws with the venue wifi and stops them being able to work.

I've moved over to Sennheiser EW and haven't had any problems since.

Thanks. I'll have to do some more research into the differences between the EW and EW-D. It looks like the EW-D is so new that there aren't a lot of reviews/forum talk about it yet. There are a couple YouTube videos on it I'll have to watch.

Thanks. I didn't see that. I was looking at a single battery that didn't have a charger with it. I guess that means you can't charge it with a wall wart. Sucks to have to drop another $150, but at least it comes with two batteries.

Thanks for all the info. The 2.4 Ghz thing is what has me a little worried about the Shure. At practice and a lot of places I play the G10S has been fine on 2.4 Ghz. The last two nights I had some issues though -- once in a super-crowded bar and once in a bar in the middle of a small-type downtown area. The first night was so bad I had to switch to a cable, after trying all of the channels. The second night I was able to make it through the night, and I doubt anyone but me even noticed, but I did have a few dropouts.

For the Sennheiser, do you have any idea how you charge the battery pack? I couldn't tell from looking at the pictures, whether you had to buy the battery pack and something additional to charge the battery pack.

I have a toaster than I have sitting on top of a XiTone cabinet. I have the G10S on stop of the cabinet, beside the Kemper. I was probably going to put the Shure on the cab, where I keep the G10S or put the Sennheiser on top of the toaster. I just haven't seen many reviews of the newer Sennheiser system and that's a decent chunk of change for me to drop on something I haven't seen much real feedback on.

I have the Shure and can only say good things about it. Never had any problems with it and use it for years now for rehearsals and gigging. No problems with interference any time. I like to have a body pack and the one from Shure has a good size, fits well at the back pocket of my pants. the receiver has good size as well, fits on a pedalboard (beside the Remote) and the built in tuner works super well for me including muting the signal etc.

Some say that due to the fact that is uses digital transmission it might also fail when too many are using the "air" around it but personally I never had any issues with it. Price tag is not low I'd say though.

Most important: Sound-wise I am super happy with it. Absolutely nothing to complain. My Bass player uses it as well. Same opinion on his side :thumbup:8)

Thanks for the input. The 2.4 Ghz thing is what has me a little worried. At practice and a lot of places I play the G10S has been fine on 2.4 Ghz. The last two nights I had some issues though -- once in a super-crowded bar and once in a bar in the middle of a small-type downtown area. The first night was so bad I had to switch to a cable, after trying all of the channels. The second night I was able to make it through the night, and I doubt anyone but me even noticed, but I did have a few dropouts.

Did the same thing, at a gig last night, as the previous night. The issue only occurs when changing performances with the MIDI pedal, but the MIDI pedal is so simple I don't believe it is the culprit. Also, had the performance jump from 3 to 5 multiple times using the buttons on the Kemper. I can't help to think the issues are somehow related.

This topic shouldn't be marked as solved

You are correct. I modified the title. It seemed to be working for a while, but it still seems to be a problem for me. I do not have the absolute latest release installed. I am one release behind that. I'm also wondering if the performance skipping is somehow related to chorus showing up on performances where I do not have chorus - Chorus effect randomly appearing on performance mode stomp slot

Had a gig last night. I used the following workaround, when I wanted to use Performance 3 slot 1.

1) Go to the correct performance number of the footswitch.

2) Move up one performance on the front of the Kemper.

3) Move back down to performance 3 slot 1.

I did not notice the chorus effect, but I did notice the issue of moving up or down performances is skipping performances (e.g. sometimes going from 3 to 4 actual jumps from 3 to 5. This is using the buttons on the front of the Kemper.

My Line 6 G10S has been great, for the most part, but I have noticed some interference in a few places I play. Normally I can change the channel and get around this, but last night I was in a REALLY crowded place, and had to switch to my cable for the first time. I was looking to buy something a little nicer, but didn't want to break the bank doing so. I noticed some newer Sennheiser and Shure units out there, and was wondering what people's experience with the Sennheiser EW-D CI1 and Shure GLXD16 were. Would I be having similar issues with the Shure as I am with the line 6? Is the Sennheiser worth $200 more over the Shure? Does your phone connect directly to the Sennheiser or do you need an active internet connection to make it work? Any thoughts by those who have tried these would be very helpful. Thanks.

Had practice yesterday with the new MIDI cable. Had the same issue. After switching performances a few times there was chorus on performance 3 slot 1. This time it appeared on the compressor in stomp 2 again instead of the slapback delay in stomp 4. The only difference between when I tested it at my house is that I was going into the PA system, rather than into my powered cab.

Once the problem occurs, if I move to Performance 3 slot 1 on the face of the Kemper with the footswitch and then move performances up and then down, the problem goes away. I really have no idea when this started, since we didn't play or practice for about nine months due to the lockdowns. I'm not sure how many profiler OS updates I did since then.

I have a hard time believing it is coming from the MIDI pedal, because of how simple it is. You cannot change what the buttons do. They are fixed. You cannot reassign anything. There is no way to activate or deactivate stomps using the pedal, and even if it could deactivate the stomps, I do not have chorus in the Performance 3 at all. I also don't understand why the chorus is getting mapped into a stomp that says compressor or delay.

The manual for the pedal is at https://www.tech21nyc.com/t21manuals/MMG1_OM.pdf if you want to see how simple it is.

I have gigs Friday and Saturday, so I can't really mess with the Kemper this week. Maybe I'll try to install the new OS after that since I have a two week break after that. Other than that, I'm about out of ideas. I'm not sure I want to spend $150 on another MIDI Mongoose if this is still going to happen. I'm not sure I want to spend $500 on a Kemper remote, and have to worry about drunks at bars around it.

The Kemper folks weren't able to reproduce it, but they weren't using a MIDI pedal.

This is what the MIDI commands look like:

1 - Performance 2 Slot 1 - PC: Electric Piano

2 - Go up 5 slots, which puts you at Performance 3 slot 1. This is Generating the PC: Clavinet AND the PC: Music Box commands

3 - Selected Performance 3 slot 1 again - PC: Music Box

4 - Got down 5 slots, which puts you back at Performance 2 Slot 1. This is generating the PC: Vibraphone and PC: Electric Piano 2

5 - Go up 5 slots, which puts you at Performance 3 slot 1. This is Generating the PC: Clavinet AND the PC: Music Box commands

I repeated the process a few times and it seems to be generating consistent commands. Now, I'm going to have to get the MIDI device hooked up to my laptop and the Kemper at the same time and try to reproduce the issue. The last gig I had, I was trying to move the performances up and down with the buttons on the front of the Kemper, in between songs, to try to alleviate the issue. I don't recall it happening, but it was kind of a crazy night, so I may have missed it. Much easier to troubleshoot when not at a gig.

Congrats on your son. That's definitely something to be proud of. I love your profiles, but your life, your family, and your music are more important than putting out new profile packs. Thanks for everything you do for the Kemper community.

I was able to create the diagnostic file after the issue occurred. The details are below:

I hooked up the Kemper to the PA system, including hooking up the Tech 21 Midi Mongoose to the MIDI In and a Moog EP-3 Expression Pedal to Switch Pedal 1.

I verified that Performance 3 slot 1 sounded correct.

After playing a few songs, which included all slots of Performance 1 and Performance 2, I switched back to Performance 3, slot 1, the issue occurred at 5:14 pm EDT. There was now a chorus effect on this performance.

I turned off the Compressor on Stomps slot B. The chorus was still there.

I turned off the Delay in Stomps slot D, and the chorus was gone. I turned it back on, and the chorus was back.

At that point, I shut the Kemper down and created the diagnostic file.

When I booted the Kemper back up, the chorus on Performance 3 slot 1 was gone.

I did notice that there were multiple times when I hit the button to go up a performance that it skipped from performance 1 to performance 3. I thought that problem had been fixed in the last official firmware release. I'm wondering if these two problems may be related, since Performance 1 and Performance 2 both have chorus on.

I have a gig this Friday, and will be testing a different MIDI cable at it. The other thing I want to test it, after the problem occurs, moving performances up and down with the keys on the face of the Kemper, rather than the footswitch, to see if that causes the problem to go away.