Posts by guizmobro

For the people that are interested (and because I don't like unfinished posts in which the original poster never posts back when a solution has been found) : It's definitely an issue with noise coming through the power grid. I checked the KPA at different places and never had any noises. I'm going to buy a Furman ac-210. Hope that it'll solve the issues.

So I still didn't try elsewhere (gonna do it this weekend) and noises are still there.

I noticed however that the noise disappears when I use the in-between positions on my strat. I'm not a technical expert, but I guess that the in-between position is practically a humbucker (as it is using 2 pickups). That means that I definitely have something going on in the electric-magnetic area. It's just weird because I never had it since having the Kemper (4 months now).

Several questions:

• Is it possible that the wiring on the guitar is bad? I have the noise on all single coil positions (1, 3, 5), but not on position 2 and 4. If it was bad wiring, I guess it would be more likely that only one coil would be affected and not all three?
    • If it's an electro-magnetic field issue, will a Furman power conditioner solve the issue?

EDIT:

No other guitar at hand at the moment. So I just took the jack out of the guitar input and held it against my finger. I still cleary can hear the noise. I also just noticed that the noise is also present in the in-between positions; but only at a very low intensity. I guess that the humbucking position filters out most of the noise.

Thanks for your input!

I tried plenty of things (unplugging and re-plugging several appliances in my electrical network, switching off phones, switching off baby-phone) and nothing had a direct impact. The crackling stops and re-starts randomly.

In order to rule out an issue with the Kemper, I still have to try it at another place. I'll be staying at my parents this weekend and try it out.

If it really is the electrical network, the only possibility I see is buying a power conditioner. There's the Furman AC-210 A E which isn't too big.

But before buying that I'll report back with next weekend's test ;)

almost sounds like a typewriter in the background. Have you tried to use the unit at a different location/house?

Not yet... I tried different sockets everywhere in the house with the same result. Right now, there's no noise. But it comes back and disappears every now and then.

I'm pretty sure it's got to do something with the the power line, probably related to grounding? I dunno. I'll try the device at my parents' place.

And now whilst I'm typing, noise is back again...

I'll also buy a new multi plug extension this pm. I'll try to find something with shielding.

Thanks Nicky!

I'v been playing the last hour and it suddenly stopped. I guess it can't be the DSP failing...

You're probablw right about line contamination. No I don't like my neighbour anymore!

I'll check again tomorrow.

Generall, it's really frustrating to have this issue as I'm not able to do something about it.

Hi there,

Since yesterday, I have a very annoying crackling.

I made a quick recording.

My usual setup Guitar -> front input -> Headphone out. I also hook up the output of my mac via the Aux In. This setup has been working without any flaws for more than 2 months.

I'm on today's latest OS release, but the noises started before I updated.

What I tried:

• Using Alternative Input as well as monitor out and main out
    • Different guitar and different cable
    • Not using Aux In and USB
    • Hooked up the Kemper to different power sockets
    • Tried the ground lift switches
    • System reset as well as Flash Init.

Nothing worked, except for the Flash Init, but the noises came back when I restarted the unit. I tried another Flash Init, but that had no effect.

I can't use the unit like that... I bought it used via Paypal and can still send it back to the previous owner and get a full refund.

I have the feeling it's a DSP issue, but I might be wrong.

I will also open a support ticket, but I was hoping that you might have had similar issues that you were able to solve.

Thanks for your input in these desperate times ;(

Amazing profiles! They sound absolutely gorgeous with my strat. The landau profiles are spot on. And the channel 2 profiles are just stellar.

I have to say though that I keep getting back to the van weelden twinkleland. The clean 2 profile blows me away every time. It’s just wonderful for stratty stuff in the style of Hendrix, srv (try Lenny with that profile) or Mayer. If I’d have to buy a real amp, this would be it. I tried to search out of curiosity, but couldn’t find any online. They just seem to be making a Dumble type overdrive stomp (which has awesome reviews btw).

So thank you very much breu for these awesome amps ;)

I have both packs and they sound absolutely great. A bit of EQ'ing was necessary but very minor and mainly due to guitar I guess, but digging into deeper levels is not necessary. "run like hell" and "shine on" are my faves at the moment. But that's mainly because I have too much amazing profiles and no time to go through everything ;)

Also keep in mind that the packs contain performances for every song. I like that really much as I prefer playing rather than organizing sounds in rig manager. I honestly believe that more commercial profilers should be doing that. If they profile an amp, they should choose a performance with their favorites. It's 5 tones! There are single amp packs with more than 40 profiles (not counting direct profiles). I have no problem with someone else choosing 5 top tones for me (+ another 5 with morph). The people who want to spend hours searching their favorites out of 40 profiles, great. I just want to play and if someone else did choose 5 top tones, fine by me! Sorry, a bit off topic but it's my current "going through hundreds of rigs" mood ;)

I bought the b-verb pack last week (well actually Bert’s full pack) and I got stuck playing just the b-verb during the weekend. It really blew me away. John Mayer and Hendrix style tones are definitely in there!!!

But as you said it covers clean, crunch, overdrive and distorted sounds.

Some commercial profilers (at least one comes to my mind) include profiles with several amp gain stages and profile these profiles again with different stomps in front (TS, Klone, King of Tone, Blues Breaker, etc.).

I like to have both choices, even if that multiplies the possibilities (I'm really struggling with having too much choice). I really dig having the gain coming from the amp, but in some cases it's really nice to take "profile gain stage 2" and for a nice boost "profile gain stage 2 + Klone". The tone is different in comparison to driving the amp harder. A nice blues breaker, ts or klone just gives a different vibe. I wouldn't say better, as this is a matter of taste ;)

Chris Duncan

I hear you and of course I think what they're doing sucks. Personally, I wouldn't be proud to work for a company saying "hey, we're able to give you a playback device for kipr files. And btw, we're taking the liberty to take you kipr files and sell them to other people. It's great because you (my client) produce content that I can sell to my other clients". Sounds like an amazing business idea ;)

But the main question still is: who legitimately ownes the sound. Can an amp manufacturer really claim ownership on a 5E3 or a modified 5E3 circuit? I mean, loads of amps are based on that particular circuit.

I'm not certain that amp sales dramatically decreased over the last years. If they did, I don't only blame better digital solutions. People love tube amps, but for some they've just become unusable at home. Personally, I just don't like loud amps anymore. And even if you start seeing interesting solutions (load boxes, the new suhr pete thorn thingy) they are still quite complex and far away from an all in one solution.

The Kemper ticked all the boxes for me (awesome sound at low volume, portable hardware device, diversity). And imho the Kemper is still one of the most innovative products I've ever seen.

Sure. They can also download all 13,000 profiles from Rig Manager, cherry pick it, then turn around and sell them. Or buy commercial packs from popular profilers, convert and resell them on their own platform. And there's really not much Kemper can do about it but spend money on lawyers, who in the end will probably be the only ones who benefit.

To take this line of thought even further, you might as well consider amp manufacturers... All the plugins / modellers and the Kemper are basically aiming at creating a virtual and perfect copy of their product. And they don't earn 1$ in the process. Let's not forget that Kemper and all the other software producers do not own any rights of the amps getting profiled / modeled.

I agree that it seems silly that THU is emulating Kemper profiles. They are basically emulting an emulation. But in the end, we're talking about emulating amps / effects / mics and whatnot that aren't owned by either one of these companies...

Basically, I would like files to behave like files normally do on any other ‘computer’ system. Meaning you can edit and save TO them; you aren’t forced to make a copy every time you want to edit the file; file names are unique; you can use the same file in multiple places; you can edit the single file and those edits are incorporated everywhere that file is used; you can look at it, or wherever it is used and know exactly what it is, etc. That is the way every computer and computer program and file management system I have ever used has functioned - and for the life of me I don’t get the ‘logic’ of deviation from that paradigm.

However, at this point, the preponderance of the evidence from the user base and a Kemper team would suggest that is crazy, and too much to ask, and few people see the value. I am pretty much done with it. YMMV

I definitely see the value in this. I also don't like the fact that once you load a preset you don't see any reference to the preset.

But I have to say that I'm glad about any improvement in preset handling. So definitely looking forward to OS6.