Posts by mollydyer

For a deeper look, you've not provided sufficient information.

What computer?
    What OS?

What OS Version?

What DAW?

How is everything connected exactly?

Devil's in the details dude.

If you run your own sound then no doubt ( I've looked at these).

I honestly have not hit any problems using the in house sound guy. In virtually all cases they are used to bands using IEM's and so happy to do a mix.

Note I am only really talking about my IEM's, the rest of the band don;t use them so it might be a different story if 5 people wanted 5 different mixes!

As long as you bring your own digital mixer like an X32 you really don´t need that. Each band member accesses their individual IEM mix with their phone or tablet. It´s more of a challenge to maintain a steady set of input signals going into your monitor mixer. Either you need a complete signal split or you simply have the FOH tech doing the mix from you own mixer via smartphone/Tablet/Laptop remote. You need to bring your own microphones to each gig but in the long run it´s way more comfortable since you get the same perfect FOH mix as a starting point.

Actually, we have the option of just running our own monitor world - 16 channels of splits, split side to my X32, direct side back to FOH. So we don't need to run our own FOH sound if it's not necessary. Done it this way multiple times, actually. (Although, tbh, I just racked the splits this week).

@kingsxman - I had to go look ... I just got out of a 3 hour rehearsal. Let's say it was 2.5 hours of actual use - we took a break. I had freshly charged Eneloop Pros in it. Volume usually at around 1/2 way. I just powered on the pack and it's showing 50% remaining on the little battery meter. Would I trust it to go the whole 4 or 5 hours? No. In a live setting I would have swapped them out after each set (so I'd use a total of 6) - but that's just my paranoia. I could easily go 2 sets in a row with them as is, but since we're silent stage I don't want to chance it.

That SAME belt pack on regular batteries - I would for SURE swap them out after each set. I've had it happen where it died on me.

On the soundguy thing - yeah, I get it. And it's your EARS now, not something sitting on the floor. Totally understand where you're coming from. However, I've never had a FOH engineer tell me 'i hate mixing IEMS'- in fact, with rare occasions, they OFFER to do it. (Since we run our own monitor world it's not necessary).

Your experience here is not unexpected...

A bit of background - MD runs it's own monitor world - we use a behringer X32 rack, and I personally use a PSM300. It's a fantastic system. I do NOT mix my kemper with the rest of the world in my ears on the wireless.

So- this what you should be doing:

1) Take the feed from the mixer. In stereo. You're *already* getting a feed from it- so there's absolutely no need to compicate things by adding to it.

2) For the FOH, you can simply use an XLR->1/4" cable. There's no reason to use a direct box here.

3) Batteries... I'm willing to bet you used regular - got them next to the smokes at the circle-k - batteries. Don't. If you MUST use disposable batteries, you need the industrial class ones.

For example:

https://www.amazon.ca/Energize…53989027&s=gateway&sr=8-4

You will probably want to have 2 or three pairs for a show.

However, if you want to get enviro-friendly or more cost-effective, eneloop pros will be your friend. You will still want multiple pairs, but in my experience, the eneloop pros last as long - if not longer - than the energizers I linked above.

4) Batteries part 2:

Note- the in ear belt pack will chew through batteries faster if you crank up the volume. Turn it down!

5) the way we're doing it (with our own monitor world) we don't need to do much to soundcheck the IEMs- 7/10 times we're close enough not to have to worry about it. We also rehearse with them. YOU NEED TO AS WELL.

I found running a Sonic Maximizer after the power amp gave it the best sound... and smell.

Kidding. Don't do that. I had one as well, and I think I used it twice in the studio before I pulled it from the rack. I got bored of it very quickly myself. If you get it to sound good go for it.

You will want to use it in the loop though. if you put it between amp and speaker you will fry it.

No kidding. I *do* copy/paste some patches around - like I have a really good Smashing Pumpkins tone, and a couple of good foo-fighter tones. I usually tweak them from there.

One of the things I like is looking down at my board to remind me what I'm playing.

Ha ha.

Rectoverb 50 here. Still have it. It's a great sounding amp.

To the OP- I have a 'jam' patch with 5 different amps - starting from a nice sparkly clean all the way up to a heavy patch. I just picked different rigs for each one and 'tuned' them.

That said, I almost never use that patch- as I have different performances set up for each song we do.

AussieSlayer FYI- this thread is nearly 2 years old - I certainly hope Dante found a solution by now.

On that note- the uTrack24 will work as a 24 channel i/o device so long as there's no drive in the usb port. You don't need to disconnect it from the computer for this to happen, but it will not act like a audio interface when the drive is plugged into the usb port. Unplugging the drive will turn it back into an interface.

Hey Rip - I used IRs extensively *before* I got my kemper. Previously had (well, I still have it, as a backup) an Atomic AA12. Being the gearhead tinkerer I am, I started playing around with IRs. I really *loved* the ownhammer GNR ones - but for best results, I mixed my own.- I took three different IRs and mixed them together with MixIR. (I used one that was in front of the amp, one from *behind* the amp, and another of the room. I even I recorded a cabless track out of my favourite modelled amps, and played that looped in protools while I got everything mixed together.

It was fun. Why am I telling you this? I guess to show that I got deep into the IRs.. Like, IR mafia deep.

I got out.

I haven't touched them since I got my Kemper. Not even my custom mixed one. I *may* browse the cabs of other rigs while I'm getting my tone right, but I'm too happy with what I've got to bother messing with Impulse Responses.

That said - lots of these guys - Celestion and Ownhammer, for example - often offer free downloads. Try it out. In fact, there are a bunch of Celestion cabs in a recent-ish update to the firmware as well. Might have been the second last release? I can't remember off the top. Someone smarter than I will surely chime in.

For the Kemper, you'll need to convert them to Kemper cabs- that's what the Cab Maker tool is for.

Try it out - no harm will come to you, except perhaps for a new kind of GAS and a lot of wasted hours. (ha ha)

Just a remark. It is funny but all the sounds I create at home are more warm and got more bass. But when I go practice with my bands it is lost in the mix a little so I have to add treble and presence to be heard. Is it the same to you? I mean it is not really a problem for me it is probably normal

I was just wondering if it was the same for you ???

I just adjust the output block for *certain* live settings- but then again, as the only guitar player in my band - and also the sound man, I'm at a bit of an advantage

There's no highjacking here man.... it's a simple mistake of someone who is new... keep nice and remember that not everyone is a pro at this. Obviously it wouldn't have been my choice to do this on purpose since it doesn't get me any help with the issue I had. Now I know how things work.. relax a bit.

There was no rudeness in my post, by the way. I'm sorry you interpreted it that way. The fact remains that you hijacked the thread. That's what it's called when you post a totally unrelated question to a thread on a forum. This is most assuredly a hijacked thread.

When a person starts a posting on a message board, or forum, or Facebook, that others are able to comment on, that original posting and the comments on it are called a thread. A thread hijacking occurs when one or more individuals commenting on the original posting, go off topic, creating a separate conversation. This is rude, and bad internet etiquette. If people want to discuss a different topic, they should start their own thread.

Aside from it being bad forum etiquette - and really, it's 2019 - this isn't new - it's bad 'marketing' - you would have gotten a better answer, and your problem - and the solution would be easily searched.

I try to be as helpful as possible here- well everywhere- but I think for this case, I'm out.

Before I go- you should *really* proof read your posts for intent and sentiment.

Good luck with your issue.

*IEM. In Ear Monitors.

And of course, your $500.00 in ears sound better than the $100.00 pair that came with your wireless. Not at all surprised at that. My SE425s were better than my 315s and my 215s (until I broke 'em)

If it were me, I'd just have a stereo feed from FOH and ask sound nicely to balance you out.

The G30 is meant to be on the floor- not sure how well it would work in a rack. You could get a rack shelf for if you wanted to try it out. Or just velcro it to the bottom inside of the rack.

Can we all agree here that there is no latency 'problem' with the Kemper? It's performing as advertised. The problem is that Mark1964 has what amounts to much better hearing than most - if no all of us on this thread. I certainly cannot hear 4/.x ms of latency in a live setting, and I'm pretty sensitive to glitches like that.

Lets continue to focus on how he can improve his workflow so he can truly enjoy the Kemper.

Mark1964- you did a LOT of testing. Is this actually stopping you from playing on the record? Are you totally bricked by this? Because if you're not, then you can time-align things in Logic pretty easily.

If you ARE bricked by this - and man, I'm sorry- I suppose ignorance is bliss on my part because i'm sure it would drive me nuts - you're saying this isn't as pronounced when using an amp/cab combination - or your pod. You indicated you have a split somewhere in your signal chain - can you take that split and run a muted, dry track into your DAW- and play the other side of the split through your amp - right in the room?

You could THEN take the dry signal and re-amp it through the Kemper to get the sound you want. The Kemper reamps *beautifully*. You can even automate (via MIDI) patch changes in the DAW to get timing of effect or rig setting changes spot on.

Just thinking out loud, I don't really have a better solution for ya. At 4-something MS I doubt there's anything wrong with your Kemper, but it might be worth talking to support anyway.

:)

One thing that I realized is that I will lose my monitor out functionality for stage volume. It currently is unlinked from the main out so I could adjust monitor levels without affecting whats going to FOH. (Monitor out jack).

Also, do people find that things like pre-programed "volume boosts" for solo's tend to be too much when its all coming right into your ears? (I use morphing for volume boosts with each saved patch and have a solo patch).

K- so now that I've totally soapboxed about the cheap sets...

Take the feed from the FOH- and ask your friendly neighbourhood soundman nicely to give you a mix that works for you. You don't need to change anything on stage.

Programmed 'boosts' shouldn't be so boosty that it hurts you. with IEMS you *want* to have a lower volume anyway. Protect your ears mate.

I use IEMS - whole band is on them. We're playing a show tomorrow and while I *am* bringing floor wedges, they're not really needed (I just use them for sidefills, really).

I've had Senns, I've had the good Audiotechnicas, and I've had many sets of Shure. I'm currently running PSM300s for mine, and we have the Audiotechnica E2s in use as well (bass player). I have a set of PSM600s as well.

The PSM300s are rock solid. I use them with a set of eneloops now too, and they last for at LEAST two sets that way (I switch the batteries often). For the 'ear' part, was using a set of SE315s- I've had them for I think 10 years or so (at least 7 years, anyway)- and I've just now started getting an annoying crackling in one ear with them- so I've swapped them out for my "office" ears - SE215s - until I figure out what to replace the 315s with. I'm thinking of having molds done of my ears.

Anyway... for the love of god... Do *NOT* buy cheap. Spend the money, get a NAME BRAND - Shure, Senn, whatever fits your bill - belt pack, and GOOD GOOD earphones.

It's your EARS. Like, the part of the body you can't do without and can't replace. You wouldn't buy cheap chinese knockoff condoms would you?