Posts by Alfahdj

A word of warning: I dont remember katana speaker impedance and power, you might need to be pretty careful with the master volume, because the 4 Ohm impedance of the kone might lead into overcurrent in the power amp. Just be careful with that if you decide to actually change the speaker.

thanks! but what happens if i plug another modeler, whats the sound of the speaker? normal guitar speaker? i want to use it sometimes plugin my kemper stage to the "power amp in" but wondering if the kemper kone will mess up the sound of the stock katana amp models when the kemper is not plugged in

It will mess up with the Katana sound for sure, the thing is the kemper kone is engineered to work closer to the celestion F12-X200 for what I can see in the frequency responses some people have taken out:

Like this one

So what happens is that the cone has a higher output in the highs and some mids than a conventional speaker, so post kemper magic (EQ) the frequencies are eq´ed out and get the cone to sound really close to the real deal. The magic here is the kone is designed to have high spl and move more air than a conventional flat response speaker.

So what you will hear without the kemper eq, is a very very fizzy output from your katana channels, and I doubt you will be able to eq that out and make your sound as before. I would not recommend it. If you already have the katana, keep it as it is, if you want the kone magic but keep the nice katana tones, there are 2 ways, profile all your favorite katana tones and change the speaker for a kone, so you always use the kemper as preamp, or make a kone cabinet (get one kemper kabinet) and modify your katana so you can connect the output to the new cab (the 100 mkii has no speaker output ports sadly). I would rather keep the katana as it is, and buy the kabinet and a cheap power amp to run it (BAM200 or Powerstage 170/200)

Just bought the BAM200, frankly speaking, is so cheap that if it doesnt work fine with my classic 80 2x12 cab, I might as well use it at home for a couple of speakers I have. I read about it, and it makes complete sense, the mosfet preamp just works to feed the gain channel, even at 12, a mosfet preamp would not have real impact on tone, maybe a bit of harmonic distortion desirable in some cases. And as a reference, any class D amp with fairly good design construction will be linear enough (Class D amps are linear by design). Only thing that might affect sound in a significant way, would be the tone stack. I will test it, with my own Blackheart profile to see how close it gets to the real thing.

hi guys can some one explain me why I' m receiving back from kemper a dry non processed signal. my set up is made witha biirectiona spdif to coaxial converter...it's weird because i can record a master stereo signal from the spdif imputs (processsed sigal) but when it comes to use spdif imputs in the apollo to receive reamp signal its only delivers and record a all dry signal

some advice??

Check the output section, there it will tell you what the output spdif will send, if you have guitar + stack, you will send a raw guitar signal and the line output equivalent, play with that. Also, in your interface, check which input you are recording, there should be 2 mono spdif signals coming, spdif is "stereo" capable per se.

:DYeah wasn't paying attention lol

Still, 80s metal he has some nice tones, his custom audio OD100 in the 2020 pack its pretty nice, and you can use the marshall pack for some oldschool trash no problem. I dont have the crank and go pack, but he delves deeper into the high gain models there.

And regarding pack 3 being a mistery to me, it is that I dont have it because I never had the impulse to buy it, I was quite please and still discovering new sounds in pack 2, then the 2020 pack happened, and had some of my favorite amps of all time, so I had to buy it. I dont think that pack 3 is bad, it just did not appeal to me due to the amps selection.

If you play high to heavy gain, the Kabinet sucks. I don't know how the Kones would perform in a 2x12 or 4x12 but as it is the 1x12 Kabinet it's no good.

IMHO it sounds fine for high gain, but not for super high gain mesa double recto stile amps, it is too small. The EQ and bass contour on the kone section will get you nice tight bottom end, but never the amount of pushed air of a 4x12 celestions cab. Kones in a 2x12 sound amaizing tough.

Honestly, pack 3 is the one I regret buying. The reason being that it just feels more of the same after pack 1 & 2. In that era of his profiling, he was using the same cab for pretty much everything, and while it might work for him, the tones often end up feeling almost identical to one another (in varying amounts of gain). I used stuff from his pack 1 and 2 quite a bit for a while, and also his AC30 pack still (because it's profiled with the stock speaker) but I think I've never ended up using anything from pack 3. YMMV

There is a ton of true here too, as a word of warning he does profile like 80% of his catalogue with his 3P switchback cab loaded with classic 80 celestions, this lead us to some profiles sounding very similar in the later profiles. But in his defense, I believe he knows quite well what he is doing, if you take the 2020 and any of the fender profiles in there, you will find them very different, even tough they are technically very similar amps. Also they react quite well to other cabs, I use the greenback cabs from the Marshall 69 pack in a lot of medium gain profiles to give them the full body treatment, but 90% of the time, just using basic eq I get them where I want them, thats the magic of M britt. I find its cab sits in a very happy medium where you can tune the sound to mix as a big cab in the back, or an small cab in the front pretty easily. And they are FRFR ready for sure.

And by the way, a lot of guys here like M. Britts 2020 Pack!
    I have it on my own.

I was about to recommend it. I have pack 2020, brown bag, 1, 2, grab and go, and marshall 69 pack, If I had to part with one pack, it would be the 2020 pack, close second place with the pack 1, third place would be pack 2, this is more about what you are looking for, both packs are great, but to be honest, I dont visit pack 2 as often as pack 1. Pack 3 for me is a big mistery, but I believe you can trust M Britt to get the best of the amps listed. If you like the models I bet you wont be dissapointed.

Just got a kone from a friend, for testing. I have not tried the gemini cab myself, but it sounds good and with authority on my same friends axe rig. That being said, I find the FRFR mode on the kone not particularly good, it is all about the imprints, which technically can get you as close as possible to an actual cab sound on the kemper with the actual speaker on it. I believe the km212p sounds wonderful, if you like the sound you have, and the semi "amp in the room" you get from the gemini, I wouldnt bother to get the kone, it is a sidegrade, instead of a clear upgrade.

I have to agree on what has been done, Axe 3 is amazing, tonewise it is now just a matter of taste, I believe there should be a particular AC30 which I like better thant the modeled version of the Axe Fx, but so far, you can get both tones with both units I think, different ways. Thanks a lot for the ABing.

Ok, just so you know, I have a songwriting and production workflow where I make revision to the songs recorded troughout the year. This makes important for me to record the raw guitar signal everytime I record something. So I always record 3 tracks in my interface, 2 to my instrument inputs for left and right, and 1 digital input trough the spdif In of my interface. This makes easier to choose if later I like the performance but I want to change effects or something, I just reamp trough the spdif out from my interface to the kemper, and again, record trough the line outs of the kemper. The sound quality its better with the line outputs, it looks like the preamp on my interface is better than its DA converter. That is how and why I use the SPDIF

Rumor has it that it will be a software update to windows 10, because Microsoft is also telling right now that 10 its tought to be a long term solution focused on service over updates, instead of sales on upgrades. But yeah, you can just hang in there a bit longer.

All my studio and workstation is in windows 7, its a ton of money lost if I migrate to Windows 10, I sincerely will end up having a new computer with windows 10, but my workflow will become slow and sloppy for not having all my tools at reach. I am sad about that, but it is not Kemper Team fault, as I understand, Microsoft is not extending any support to windows 7 development, so if they come up with a compatibility issue regarding OS, MS wont help them in any way. It is wise long term to migrate, just that my wallet is not focused right now on renewing software XD

Has anyone tried the Purple Plexi from Tone Junkies? I haven't yet but im thinking about it.

I have it, I use it a bit changing the cabs in general, I was not impressed by the quality, the quantity and variety is quite good, but compared with M Britt 68 plexi on the 2020 pack everything feels baddly recorded, too veiled, some profiles are trebly and shrill but without definition or presence. For me they required too much tweaking, so they go to the forgotten profiles folder. You might like it, but it all depends what are you used to, they sound like far away recorded cabs in a live mixing enviroment. It sounds ok in a mix (barely Ok in some cases) and not so good live trough an FRFR. They sound fine trough my Eminence 1X12 speaker, but then again, half of the direct profiles do.

Ahhhh, I see .

I also think your issue has nothing to do with latency. If you have the ways to make a raw guitar recording, then reamp trough your axe, reamp trough your kemper, finally reamp to your kemper trough the aux and the loop of your axe, we would have an actual picture of what is going on. I have a kemper, and a hx stomp, and have ran trough both fx loops between them without issue, so I doubt this would be a phase issue.

Oh bro, I am into the train of converting my FVB Shortboard MKii into a full midi control station. You might be an inspiration to go forward.

Fast question, ¿are you using the arduino as an USB midi host? or are you actually reconnecting the whole thing to the arduino inputs and outputs?

Awesome work, I hate how such sturdy pedalboards are ruined by being only usables by line6 propietary BS

If they find out a way to do the same the kemper does without the same technical basis applied, they can apply for their own development as a patent, black boxes are not patent friendly applications. The real question here is to what extent the quad cortex can profile the amps. To tell the truth I am not impressed by any of the sounds presented so far, being a model or a capture.

So if the sound from the captures are good, nice, but how deep will they go into this? we dont know yet. Maybe we wont be able to separate cabinet and mic part from the equation, maybe editing will be pretty limiting, maybe dynamics are not as good as the real amp. We wont know until reviews arrive.

Same black box or not, I wont believe until I hear. Form factor is fun, I would take it just for that if the quality is at least comparable to the big 3. (Kemper, Helix, Axe)

Yeah they didn’t do it for me either, but that how it goes sometimes, I love TJ ‘s Twin Reverb and and California clean, a couple of others I have are ok, but before you abandon TJ you gotta check out the Marshall 2204 Dumble mod pack, clean to scream these may become my desert island profiles.

The demo profiles are good, but then again, I compare them to top jimi plexis and M Britt 2020 plexi, and I think they sound unfocused, my benchmark for plexi sounds is that MBritt plexi tone, it is rich as hell, the clean profile its an awesome platform. Might be all I need and responds well with the change of cabinets.

Might take the plunge to give the pack a try, dont know yet, sounds tempting, but maybe I dont kneed more plexi sounds. I would rather go the Steel string singer, but I feel the profiles sound flat trough my monitors. We will see.