Posts by CamperBollie

Reminds me a bit of UAD and the OX. Back then, I got my hands dirty, used tcpdump on my router, to reverse-engineer their websocket communication and write a Qt app for Linux. Frankly, I wouldn't do that again, because it can easily turn into a moving target, if the maker of the devices decides to change the API or add encryption.

You have to be aware, that it requires (wo)manpower at Kemper to maintain it properly and deal with all the hassle of Android app development. Perhaps they eventually give in if there's a high enough demand. However, both, Rig Manager and the iOS app are lacking certain very important features, like pedal and switch assignments and frequently crash on me. That software just doesn't feel complete/stable to me. ...a bit like they're not really throwing much dev resources at it.

EDIT: Perhaps OSC would be an option.

Zusammen mit der GPA-100 eine gute Kombination für zuhause. Mit lautem Drummer wird es etwas eng durch die GPA-100...

Ich hatte noch eine ältere (90er Jahre) Rocktron Box hier mit einem eher durchschnittlichen Lautsprecher, dessen genaue Herkunft nicht zu ermitteln ist. Mit dem Kone blüht die Box extrem auf.

Das sieht so schön kompakt aus! Und das mit dem GPA ist schade, denn dann brauche ich wohl eine dickere Endstufe. ;)

I'm used to my Friedman Smallbox 50 through a 1x12" open back. Anything else is too big for my flat, car (got a huge dog crate in my trunk), rehearsal room, etc. So the Kabinet's form factor is very attractive. ;) But my tendency goes more and more towards getting all the components and be a bit more flexible that way.

I have electronics instruction and technical experience, for me it was pretty easy to do, but you should consider the configuration for bridged mode changes a bit. If you have almost not knowledge, it is better to let someone else do it for you or just buy something integrated.

Yeah, I do have technical experience and understanding. I could even assemble and make it safe according to current standards. The issue is: I don't have a degree in that field and if my cab starts burning for whatever reason, insurance will deny paying for it. Don't wanna risk anything there. :) But thanks for your opinion on different alternatives. The PS170 really looks like an option, but buying that new plus a Kabinet or even just the Kone takes me close to the price of the Powered Kabinet, making it an option again. It's not easy to come to a decision. :D

Right now I am rocking a BAM200 with a 212 with kones, working wornderful so far. I also had the PS170 but sold it, and still hace a 125ASX2 icepower amp I assembled. If anything, the BAM when configured flat, sounds almost the same as my icepower amp, just a tad more full and less brittle (more harmonics and less treble) which is fine for my liking.

That is a very valuable information, as I considered ordering the icepower module and assemble it myself. But actually, that's the last thing I'd like to do, if there are better, ready-made alternatives. Especially as one is dealing with mains power here. :/

The GPA-100 is okay for that. I sometimes wish the Harley Benton stuff would be a bit more expensive and a bit more sturdy as well. I blew up the first one in a few days without even playing it very loud. It took Thomann several weeks to replace it (which they immediately and easily confirmed. Always great customer service there, super happy with them).

For HB, I think it's rather well-built. I've had mine for several weeks now and yes, with a loud drummer, turning it up past 3 o'clock, while the Stage is hammering with -3dB into it doesn't leave the impression of much headroom left, on my guitar cab. ;)

Btw. I thought mine had crapped out as well, but it turned out, using Rockboard Flat cables on the input, plugging it all the way in does that. I had to just pull it back a milimeter and everything was fine again.

Hope that helps a bit...

It does, thank you so much. :)

There's no translation issue here, as directivity and "Richtwirkung" work in the same way. So yeah, I'm equally confused if increasing that parameter broadens the dispersion.

Regarding the "Monitor Cab Off".... It makes perfect sense to me, as there's a little checkmark next to it. So it is: "Yes, turn it off". ;) Though working in the IT bubble, I might be way too used to logic that no sane, normal being would ever consider intuitive. ;D

Unterm Strich gefällt mir bisher aber die DIY Box 43x48x28 am besten. Die ist zwar nicht so neutral wie die Marshallkiste aber bringt für mich n bissl mehr „Power/Tiefen“ im Klang.

Meine Erfahrung mit normalen Cabs ist ebenfalls, dass das Holz einen nicht zu vernachlässigen Einfluss auf den Klang hat. Ich habe ein Tube Town Birke-Multiplex 1x12"er mal gegen ein altes Cab aus Spanplatte gehalten. Das TT hat für mich gewonnen, da mehr Punch/Charakter.

...habe ich die billige Harley Benton 1x12"-Box für 79€ geordert, da diese etwa die gleichen Abmessungen hat (aber nicht abgeschrägt ist) und werde dort den Kemper Kone nebst besagter ClassD-Endstufe einbauen und natürlich die Rückseite verschließen. Beides ist aber noch auf dem Weg zu mir... Vielleicht ist das ja für manche von Euch auch eine günstige Alternative. Über das Ergebnis werde ich berichten!

Bitte berichte mal! Würde mich ja sehr interessieren, wie der GPA-100 mit dem Kone harmoniert. Ich betreibe im Moment den Stage an dem GPA-100 mit normalen Cabs, aber irgendwie ist mir der Sound zu verhalten und im Gegensatz zum Vollröhrenamp vermisse ich gewisse Reserven/Durchsetzungskraft.

Hello,

Personnaly i use a Harley Benton GPA-100 (https://m.thomann.de/fr/harley_benton_gpa_100.htm) with a Kone in a Harley Benton G112 Vintage and it work fine to me.

I don’t have experience with other Class D amplifier but i have no complaint with this one.

Next step: Full integration in the cab with some hole and screw for a Cheap Powered Benton Kabinet ^^

I'm thinking about doing almost the same: Powering the Kabinet with the GPA-100. Still, I wonder how the GPA-100 compares to the class-d amp in the Powered Kabinet.

yes this is definitely a software bug, (and the bug most probably has been around some time already, but was not triggered so prominently yet)

What we've found out until now:

sometimes the initial communication with the front panel is not successfull, but the system boots nevertheless (after a time-out.. so this is the 'extra boot time' some people experience in that case) which results in the brightness of some led groups not being set correctly at boot.

That explains it pretty well. I've experienced that timeout and that bright LED issue last night. I had Rig Manager connected via USB and I usually switch the Stage by mains power.

I'm currently using a soft bag from my old Palmer Pedalbay 60 and as long as you put it into the bag with the footswitches first, you don't have to worry about potentiometers. Unfortunately, the bag is way too big, has no laptop compartment, and you can't wear it as a rucksack. The upcoming Kemper bag looks way more promising, IMO. ;)

Quo got me into music when I was still in nappies. They were a fantastic band back in the seventies. Very unfairly picked on by, I'm.not sure how to label them.to be honest, musical snobs? Their rendition of 'roadhouse blues' blew the original out of the water.

I assume it's because Quo here in Germany were very much reduced to their most catchy tunes and thus have mostly been played by solo entertainers and bands focusing on party music. And those bands could have been found on weddings and typical German fairs, where the focus was probably not on savoring sophisticated music. But this is only an assumption based on how my dad (rock musician) reacted to them, whenever Quo appeared on TV on some oldie show, lip-syncing to a playback.

Hard to realize what a bunch of really conservative we guitar players are ..still..

That isn't a bad thing after all, since it hopefully will always be keeping some tube amps around so we can feed our profilers. ;)

(before somebody kills me for that remark: I love the three handwired tube amps I own and I always will have some around. ;) )

Exactly this.

I think ckemper is fully aware of the fact that emulating "the speaker/"the cab" is still a challenge, and will always be.

I keep making the same experience like the Captain mentioned: When using headphones, it just doesn't sound and feel right. However, things completely change as soon as I move some air. With my Neumann nearfields, even at low volume, it is just pure fun to play. But what I like about the KPA is, that if you neither like the headphone sound, nor enjoy the signal via fullrange speakers, you can disable that cab sim altogether and use your favorite guitar cab.