Idea for guys who use 4x12 and power amps for monitors live

• Had a Kemper using friend call me up the other day - he's enjoying his Kemper but having an issue:

When he finds a profile that sounds good with his 4x12 cab and Matrix power amp, he's not so happy with the FOH sound and when he gets a direct/FOH tone he likes, it doesn't sound good to him through the 4x12/Matrix.

My suggestion: Profile his amp with the line out (no cab) and with the monitor out from the Kemper going to his 4x12/Matrix setup. Dial it in exactly how he wants it. Profile it, then just start auditioning cabs for his FOH tone. get the 4x12/Matrix sounding right FIRST, then add the cab/speaker emulation to his FOH stuff.

Personally, I prefer using full range powered monitors onstage, but can understand if someone doesn't want to give up the power/coolness of a 4x12 cranked behind you. Not sure if this would work for everyone, but I think it might help!

• Thanks for this tip.
    I have exactly the same problem.
    I use a Mesa cabinet 6505 and I always have to bring it because the sound is crappy listening to it on PA / FOH.
    How could I prepare a sound specially for the PA / FOH ?
    Listening to my studio monitors at home doesnt make sense at all. I tried already.
    The sound I have at home is much different from PA / FOH sound.
    Any ideas?! Tips and Tricks ?!
    I really would prefer leaving my 4*12 at home :)

Thanks

The best bands died in rehearsal !

• are you guys micing the cab or going direct to the PA from the KPA?

honestly i dont need to have a cab on stage, if it sounds good that is what matters and less to load is better. going the modeling route from a tube amp was a step outside the norm and so i feel part of that process is considering other options that may not be traditional ways of doing things. i would have no problem using a powered monitor or two (lol) instead of a guitar cab if it meant better overall sound.

• In my opinion there are two ways going FOH with a real guitar cab:

1. KPA Monitor Out (Cab off) --> Cab --> Mic --> FOH (this way the audience will hear what you hear on stage)
    2. KPA Monitor Out (Cab off) --> Cab / KPA Main Out with a Cab Sim of your choice --> FOH (different sound than on stage)

So #1 should be the way to go imho. Third way: FRFR (best way for me).

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• I think that in the long run, going full range on the stage is the only way that will really give you a 100% result while retaining the KPA´s strenghts. Miking a cab for the FOH gives you more control but totally removes the benefits of the KPA. I mean what´s the sense of playing a Fender Vibrolux through a Marshall 1960? This will never give you the same results.

The problem is that going full range on stage is a relatively new way of playing the guitar live. I think that we will still see a lot of great new products for this in the future. I must admist i did not yet check the DXR or CLR but tested other good PA speakers without satisfying results. After using a self calibrating EQ for my active monitors, i must admit that this sounds better than having two 4 x 12 cabs on stage.

• I connect the kemper straight to PA live and keep a Magnum44 poweramp going through a marshall cab to have a little bit of air moving behind me on stage. To tweak the sound to fit PA instead of home monitors I bribed a tech buddy of mine with a couple of beers so he let me in early to a show he was doing FOH for, connected the kemper to the PA and stood over by the console fine tuning the sound.

Running "cab off" on the monitor out and using the separate EQ for the monitor out gets it pretty much similar to what is going out from the PA. Works like a charm!
    Doing my second gig with my Kemper tomorrow!