Series/Parallel vs. Parallel/Series

• Ever heard about the Series/Parallel vs. Parallel/Series thing. That is where you wire your 4x12 cab in Series/Parallel or Parallel/Series. They say the resulting difference in inductance makes a difference in tone because of how the cab interacts with the tube power section of the amp. Well tonight I tried it with the KPA, I was running two 8 ohm 112 cabs and I tried wiring them in parallel for 4 ohms and I tried wiring them in series for 16 ohm and sure enough there was a noticeable difference, the 4 ohm configuration sounded better, it was a lot tighter (for lack of a better word). Now I'm sure there are a lot of variables at play, like how accurate the output transformer is at each impedance setting, but the point is, it made a noticeable difference in the resulting profile. So, if you haven't tried Series/Parallel vs. Parallel/Series you might want to try it to see how it affects your profiles.

• Here are a couple of thoughts...

The inductance is half when the speakers are in parallel and twice in series (just like resistance).
    At 4 ohms you are using less windings on the output transformer and at 16 ohms you are using more.

I don't know to what degree this should affect the tone or if would affect it at all. But there is a difference in the profiles.

• Here are a couple of thoughts...

The inductance is half when the speakers are in parallel and twice in series (just like resistance).
    At 4 ohms you are using less windings on the output transformer and at 16 ohms you are using more.

I don't know to what degree this should affect the tone or if would affect it at all. But there is a difference in the profiles.

I remember in my days of tweaking point to point marshalls, putting the negative feedback on either the 4,8,16 ohm tap gave a different character.