Question about power module in power rack!

• Hi all,

I am a newbie here and currently trying to decide between an Axe FX II (yes, I know yah, boo, sucks), and a Kemper (cue : Yay, cheers woo hoo). After being initially more impressed by the Axes immediate sounds, I am now slowly coming more and more round to the Kemper, but am deliberately taking my time to make sure I get the right thing. I am hoping you guys can answer a question for me to help with this, please.

I got to try a Kemper for the first time last week and the biggest problem appeared to be the power module not being that loud. Now it maybe that the assistant wasn't really up on the product (he was open about that), and maybe that I was playing a power rack direct into a quality 4x12 Guitar Cab, however I have to say that turning the front panel level and output controls up even to full just was not that loud, especially compared to my old valve amps, and certainly not loud enough for use in a loud blues rock band live.

What do you think? I'd happily admit to some kind of user error (ie we missed something or there is an other level control somewhere or something), or is it just not that loud when used with guitar cabs? We had the cabs light off and it was being output from the 'speaker output' jack on the rear and volume and master volume levels on full in the shop ! I need to be able to use the unit not only with FRFR etc but also with a regular guitar cab

Would I be better with a Matrix power amp or will the Kemper one go a lot louder (at least enough for a loud rock/blues band) and we just screwed up?

Thanks for your help in advance - much appreciated!

Cheers :)

• I believe the Kemper is rated to drive a lower ohm load for max output. Tube amps can drive 8 and even 16 ohm cabs. If the cab was a higher ohm rating, the Kemper's amp output will be limited to half or even a quarter of its rating.

The good news is that a 4x12 cab can be rewired to have a lower ohm rating. 500w or more of solid state power into the proper rated load should produce volumes similar to a 100w tube head.

I'm sure someone else can give you the power and load specs on the KPA power amp.

bd

• Thats really helpful thank you musicman65!

I will investigate how I get mine rewired though it sounds like a permanent change!

I am hearing a lot of people using in ears or a wedge (FR/FRFR), so does no-one use back line any more? Our band don't have the luxury of a huge PA with everyone getting an individual mix, and so we have to run backline amps for sound with mainly a vocal PA. Do people still use FRFR speakers with the Kemper in this scenario, and if so what is the best product to go for - ie what FRFR cab is the best replacement for a std guitar cab if I go this route to use as Backline?

Thanks again, I am learning lots on this forum, and being able to ask the 'dumb' questions without getting flamed makes this a great place to hang out and is part of why I am learning towards the Kemper!

Cheers,

:)

• Even if your band does not own a PA system i would consider going FRFR.

- You save the extra bucks for the powered KPA.
    - You don´t need your traditional cab anymore any might consider selling it. Another benefit it the reduction of weight and space.
    - With all the money you saved you can easily buy a decent active monitor system. In the long run this will give you more satisfying tonal results.
    - Avtive monitors provide an extra value. You can use them as a party or even small club PA. Or you can run your vocals or acoustic guitar through it when rehearsing.

• Thanks TylerHB! - Good Points...!

After another morning 'researching', I am now considering either:-

A. unpowered Kemper + Matrix 1u Amp (probably rack version so it all fits in one rack) + 2x Matrix NL12 cabs

B. unpowered Kemper + Matrix 1u Amp + the new matrix lightweight 2x 12 cab when it arrives

Then all I need is a few profiles from TAF, the Kemper Midi Board (this side of Xmas 2013 perhaps - hopefully, please??? ), and I think Ill be good to go!

What say you all - do these sound sensible set ups ?

Thx again everyone 8):thumbup:

Oh! One final question - will the Kemper/matrix fit a shallow 3u SKB rack case depth wise?? Ta ! (The specs seem to indicate it will, but I have read stories where its not the same in real life) - if not SKB what do people usually buy for the rack version?

Edited once, last by theRev ().

• I haven't tried it, but I would think that the power amp in the Kemper really should be loud enough, even into 16 ohm. I have a Matrix 1000, but I'm only using 150 watts into a 2x12 and I'm drowning any loud ass drummer with that if I want to 8).

You can not use the Kemper amp into less than 8 ohm, so if you need to use 4 ohm guitar cabs you must get something else. The Kemper amp is 600 watt into 8 ohm and 300 watt into 16 ohm. It should be plenty.

Not sure why you experienced so little power, but I would investigate again if you'd prefer that option!

I chose a stand alone power amp because I wanted to split it up. Some times I just need to bring the lightweight profiler to a studio. Some times I need the power. Some times I'd like to go stereo, and some times I might want to use the power amp for something else :) If I needed a very portable powered solution I'd have chosen the powered lunchbox.

• Thanks again everyone,

Have decided Im gonna definitely go Kemper, but am gonna get a powered one! I think I must've been doing something wrong in the shop!

I can always add the matrix amp later if needed, but having the power module should give me a one stop solution for most scenarios...

Many thanks to all and Im sure Ill be asking your help again once it arrives.....

Cheers all, have a great weekend! :D