Variax Tyler mmmhh sounds quite artificial

• Hi folks,

as line6 launched the new HD 2.0 modelling for the Variax, I thought to order one to try it out.
    The guitar as such (JTV-89) is not bad at all and sounds and plays well. However, the models with some exception (Telecaster) sound somehow nasal and dynamic is limited... When tuning down electronically it is convenient but also gets kind of artificial... I am very disappointed ... Anyone here got a tip how to get the nasal sound straight? Otherwise I send it back.... At least I learned something new. The models in my Roland VG55 sound much better....

Thanks

Cheers
    Sacapuntas

• Yes, the Tele and LesPauls are ok in the Variax - the other models not so much.
    This is a very versatile guitar e.g. for a Top 40 cover band - a´but not all models are close to the real thing.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• I owned a JTV59 and a JTV69. The 59 was a better guitar. I thought the sounds were good, but, ultimately, I missed the "feel" of the different guitars. The only way to "fix" the stock sound is to fire up the Workbench software and tweak the pickups.

• I have a JTV-59 and JTV-69 too.

Tried HD 2.0 - (ouch) I prefer FW 1.9

But I use these guitars 90% of the time with the Mag PUs, and only use the Modelling for brief parts or Alt tunings during short gigs where I can only bring one guitar - and suffer the "pseudo-sound" which Variax modeling provides.

My "trick" for Slide is Tune the Guitar naturally to open E tuning (E-B-A-G#-B-E) then apply Variax Alt Tuning to get the guitar back to standard pitch.

In this manner I can play Rhythm in standard tuning (thanks to the Variax DSP) , then jump straight to Mag PU's only in Open E tuning, grab a slide, and kick in a Barber TonePress compressor and play Lowell George / Bonnie Raitt type clean singing slide - which I find impossible to do using the Variax Handbook suggested strategy.

• I was hoping for better sounds in 2.0 HD.

Yesterday I send my Variax to the new owner.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de