Emg 81

• Sorry for being blunt, but I believe your problem doesn't come from equipment. Start playing like Fluff, with the same dynamics, sense of rhythm, pro grade muting and riffs and you will get the same tone. Double (at least) track these guitars too. Use about half to 2/3 of the gain you have on your recording.

When you say double track, you mean one track each side or something else, as I have a different one each side already. the song I played came from Volbeat, so that way of playing that song actually sounds more like Volbeat than Fluff.

I played Lasse Lammerts profile which He and just about everyone else say are almost 100% ready to put in a mix without much tweaking at all. but yes less gain can make things sound better... If I could play like Fluff, we wouldn't be having this conversation :)

Leg em down and yackem smackem

• Sorry for being blunt, but I believe your problem doesn't come from equipment. Start playing like Fluff, with the same dynamics, sense of rhythm, pro grade muting and riffs and you will get the same tone. Double (at least) track these guitars too. Use about half to 2/3 of the gain you have on your recording.

PS. What is pro grade palm muting (is it better than normal palm muting).. I didn't need to palm mute in my sample at all.

• I played Lasse Lammerts profile which He and just about everyone else say are almost 100% ready to put in a mix without much tweaking at all. but yes less gain can make things sound better... If I could play like Fluff, we wouldn't be having this conversation :)

Yup, you need to have very little gain on the single tracks, especially if you quad track (two tracks on the left, two on the right) otherwise it just ends up washy and undefined.

Also to achieve that modern ultratight sound, don't be afraid to edit your palm mutes to hit exactly the same time on all guitar tracks.

• PS. What is pro grade palm muting (is it better than normal palm muting).. I didn't need to palm mute in my sample at all.

In time and right amount of muting. It's huge part of the tone you (I think) are seeking. Right hand technique is as much or even more important to this tone as the amp is. What pick you use and angle of pick is really important too (try to use thin pick (0.7 - 0.8) and angle it quite a lot, so it just scratches the strings and see what happens) - pick angle affects the tone of thick strings a lot.

From production point of view you can try to bump low mids. If you have a parametric EQ, set it to flat initially, then set it to quite narrow and quite high boost (+5 to +10db) and shift the frequency between 200 to about 1200 while playing a DI track via Kemper (re-amping). You should be able to find a magic spot. Then lower the boost to about +2 (or just use your ears).
    Again, I can't emphasize this enough, use less gain. Lasse's profiles are tuned to his guitar and his technique, so you may tweak them a bit to taste.
    Hope that helps.

• In time and right amount of muting. It's huge part of the tone you (I think) are seeking. Right hand technique is as much or even more important to this tone as the amp is. What pick you use and angle of pick is really important too (try to use thin pick (0.7 - 0.8) and angle it quite a lot, so it just scratches the strings and see what happens) - pick angle affects the tone of thick strings a lot.

From production point of view you can try to bump low mids. If you have a parametric EQ, set it to flat initially, then set it to quite narrow and quite high boost (+5 to +10db) and shift the frequency between 200 to about 1200 while playing a DI track via Kemper (re-amping). You should be able to find a magic spot. Then lower the boost to about +2 (or just use your ears).
    Again, I can't emphasize this enough, use less gain. Lasse's profiles are tuned to his guitar and his technique, so you may tweak them a bit to taste.
    Hope that helps.

Thanks... would you happen to have some audio of yours for example

steve

• Actually I like your guitar clip better than Fluff's (no offense to Ryan).

Thanks man.. Ryans tones are amazing.. and his playing too.. mine is just Amateur Hour :)

I did notice that I liked my tone a lot more after getting it louder.. it seems to add something more to the sound which I did not understand until now.. :)