Can I change cab in a profile?

• Hi!

I just got my Kemper a couple of hours ago and I already love it more than my wife :P

I have downloaded the manual which I will go through tomorrow but I have a quick question. I downloaded Marshall JMP Golub Crunch Mod and it sounds great. But I think it comes with a Orange Cab. I would like to play this head through a Marshall 1960B 300W (SM57 / MD421) or at least something as close to this as possible. Is this possible? Can I change cab? And if so, do you have a specific Marshall 1960B profile to recommend?

Thank you :)

• Hello and Welcome,

Sure you can swap the cab.

On your selected rig, click and hold the white Cabinet button then use the Browse dial to cycle through the cabs of your KPA. There you will see two options:
    Local Presets and
    From Rigs

As for the specific cab you are seeking I am not enough knowledgeable in Cabs/Mics to help you.

Enjoy your KPA and try not to forget your wife too often if you can ;)

Marc.

• The tone is extremely realistic when (properly) profiling a mic'ed amp. When you use other cabs the combination doesn't generally sound as if it had been profiled by itself, but very musical nevertheless.

Feel free to download the pdf from my sig here below for more tips and tricks :)

• Thank you! So you are saying that the combination profiled (amp+cab) sounds extremly realistic but if I decide to change to another cab it won't sound as the new combination would for real unless I or someone else profile that particular combination? Can I expect it to sound close enough though? Or is the Kemper just making up a sound that it thinks it would sound like?

I have already checked out the wiKPA. Awesome stuff! :)

Well, "realistic" is a relative term. Remember, we generally have to do with a mic'ed cab anyway, so you'll never get the sound of that cab as if it was performing in front of you.
    But even so, there's no mathematical way to completely separate a cab from an amp once the profilation is done. Among other reasons, the way a poweramp and a cab interact is very specific to the coupling: a certain cab makes a certain amp sound different, and vice-versa. So in the saved virtual cab there's the memory of the specific interaction with the amp it was profiled with.
    For the same reason, different cabs profiled along with the same amp but set (tweaked) differently will sound differently with another amp.

So, basically the KPA is faithfull (and extremely realistic) in offering what he's been fed with, and what the physics allows.
    "Not yet equipped for making miracles", reads a sign in a local store at my place. :D

But don't be worried, the Profiler is extremely musical and will give you great satisfaction :thumbup:

• Thank you for taking the time!

I am not really worried. What I am hearing is amazing. I was more wondering about how it works. I understand that profiling an amp+cab with mic takes a "snapshot" of that setup that's why I wonder what happens when I choose a totally different cab. Is the new cab I am choosing coming from a recording of another amp+cab which is now blending with the first amp+cab I was using? Sorry if that does not make sense. Basically, what I wonder is, when I use the original amp (which was probably profiled with a specific cab and mic) with another cab, what is it that I am hearing? Is it the Kemper "guessing" what it would sound like or is it actually the original amp with the new cab making a realistic sound of what those two seperate things would sound togheter (of those snapshots)...jeez, hard to explain what I mean :)

The profiler explains his profile like this...

Playing with my friends Kemper, he has profiled his 100w marshall with Golub crunch mod....sounds real deal to me !!!!

Also Strymon Blue Sky is in Kemper´s loop, delay and ambience is from Kemper.

Cab is Uwe´s Orange profile, SM57 / 414

So did he only record the amp itself and then used a Kemper cab profile to match it with or does the profile concist of the Marshall amp + the Orange Cab? I'm struggling to learn what it is I am hearing. This is all so new to me :)

Edited once, last by danniee ().

• Well, I think I've already answered, and you question is quite clear al legitimate :)
    I would not say that a virtual cab keeps "a part of the poweramp it has been profiled with", as you usually hear. I'd rather say that it brings with it the memory of the interaction with that amp, as I wrote before.

As for the "snapshot", it's not exactly so. The Profiler uses the interaction with the rig you profile to acquire a kind of modelled rig out of it. As a model, the profile is highly tweakable, usually much more than the original amp.
    It's not like a snapshot you can just overimpose some paintshopping to, it's more like setting a camera - which you've instructed how your favourite camera takes pictures - to take a picture you want from a real stream of light (\sound).

:)

• I find that the longer we've been playing our profilers the less scientific become our discussions, which is a very good thing as it shows how well thought out and musical the profiler is.
    Actually changing cabs to other ones not originally used acquiring the profile I never felt inclined to ask if it was in any case less realistic.
    Like I never asked myself if my Marshall 4x12” cab would sound different if it was the load not for my Marshall head but for a Mesa head instead.

• Probably none, but this is all so new to me so I am trying to process all this information. Let me try to break it down again for my own sake :)

The profile I am using is "Marshall Golub". I think it was only the Amp itself that was profiled and that he matched it with UWE's Orange Cab.
    So when I choose Marshall Golub Amp and match it with a 1960 Marshall cab...what exactly happens here...how would the Kemper have ANY idea about what this combination would sound like? Because from what I understand, cabs have their own unique sound as do amps and the different combination make their own unique sound.

So when matching profiled amps and different cabs in Kemper how would it know what the outcome would sound like? Can I expect it to be quite close to the real deal or would it sound totally different from the real combination? Hope that makes sense and you guys have probably answered this but it's just not getting through here, sorry.

Thank you for your patience :)

• When you do this, what happens is that the Golub Marshall gets a dose injected of the amp that was originally profiled with the Marshall cab.
    So the result will not be close to any (real or unreal) deal.
    But it will be, most of the time, awesome.
    About predictability of the result: Not entirely possible.
    See it like this:
    When you pair a Marshall amp with a Mesa cab that was originally profiled with a Rectifier the result will be a Marshall with a bit of Rectifier DNA.
    This pairing process is actually very exiting, and the lack of predictability or accuracy is no limitation at all.

• Aha, I see, so the end result will be a nice blend of everything. I think my questions come from the fact that I haven't profiled yet and do not understand the profiling process. When profiling the sound/signal/dna is captured by a mic recording an amp and cab? So what you get is what the amp/cab/mic/position sounded like. So when choosing a new cab I get the old amp/a bit of the old cab/old mic/old mic position/new cab/new cab mic position/...and maybe even some of the new amp? Did I get that correct? :)

• Another fun way to audition cabs is to lock everything except the cab, the just scroll through the rigs with the 4 rig buttons. This way, the cabs auditioned can be all from rigs in the same gain range as the amp locked.

That's how i noticed the awesome hi gain cab under a weird rig called Smashing Fuzz by Ruppert i think