Powerhead delivered - recieved a BRICK instead! (albeit a fancy brick at that!)

• Hello,

Today I returned home all excited after a loonnnggg day in work. I had gotten a call that my Kemper Powerhead had arrived and it was Christmas-come-early for me! :)

However...

I unpacked the contents and to my utmost dismay, Kemper had sent along with it THE WRONG PLUG!!! Seriously, it wont even fit the unit! 8| 8|
    Also, the plug seems to be a 5A plug, but the Kemper power inlet has written "max 10A" on it. Anyways, it doesnt even fit so its not an issue I can get with. But it concerns me that had it had the right connection socket, and if the KPA decided it needed to draw down more than 5A from the mains, the fuse in the plug would have blown!
    Anyways, I'll try to upload pics at the bottom so that you can see for yourself.

Anyways, to get to the point, I sent a reply email to [email protected] as that is the address I had in my gmail, as I felt that I needed to send on pictures of the incorrect lead that I received.
    I went on to the Kemper site to try to find a specific support email address (or a sorry-for-the-wrong-plug-let-us-know-for-a-real-one@kempermusic.com :D ) but alas, I could only submit my email via an online forum, and it did not seem to have any way to send pictures via that method.
    On the receipt, someone (presumably at Kemper, unless someone at the post office has a weird fetish! :D ) had written "UK plug" on it.
    While yes, I do require a 3-prong plug - nice one Kemper, got that right - I also require a plug to actually FIT into my now-new-fancy-doorstop-Powerhead!

Is this the right step to take (contacting the [email protected] email)?

Humour aside, I know that I could just plug in a "standard kettle-lead", but for me this has 3 issues:
    1 - I am no electrician, and I do not want to take a risk (however small) and use a non-Kemper-supplied power lead with this in case it somehow damages the Powerhead.
    2 - I do not want to use any unofficial parts into the Powerhead as I do not want to give any excuse to void the warranty over anything so small as using a different powerlead. The Manual and the disclaimer sheet that sat on top of the Powerhead were quite specific to not use unofficial components with the Kemper. Im guessing they probably mean the internals, but Im taking no chances!
    3 - Well, frankly, I've spent a wee fortune on the Powerhead, that I shouldnt have to go out and buy a e10 kettle lead in the first place. It should be useable out of the box.

I had planned to get on here to rant and vent anger at this thing, but I'm a fairly easy going person, and I'm just sooo bloomin disappointed that Im beyond anger at Kemper. You've no idea how much I was looking forwards to playing with it this weekend! ;( ;( ;(
    Now Im guessing I've got to wait all weekend until someone at the other end of the email replies.

Thanks Kemper.... ;( ;( ;(

Pics:
    [Blocked Image: http://s16.postimg.org/4bxzkppph/IMAG0140.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://s16.postimg.org/ulj23ibmt/IMAG0137.jpg]

• Yeah, I received 2 plugs as well.

Italian-style suggested strategy:

• officially ask Kemper for a second plug;
    • officially refrain from using the unit until you receive the right cord;
    • go buy whatever fits the unit and supplies mains;
    • happily use your Profiler in the meantime;
    • do not tell anyone about you actually implementing points 3 & 4.

:thumbup:

PS, NB: No need to respond to this post ;) 8)

• heh, you Italiens are allllrrriiigghhhtt!!! :thumbup:

Seriously though, my main reason is for warranty purposes. I had to send my original Kemper back because of a few dead LEDs so I guess I did end up using the warranty.

My Kemper is like my baby, so Im taking no chances with her! :)

• You seriously think you loose warranty if you just use another power cable? Wow, so if the original cable gets lost on tour you couldn't just use another spare cable but would have to send in your Profiler for "repair"? 8o
    No, seriously. Just use any cable at hand with a max. 10A (110V) or max. 5A (220V) fuse.

By the way, here in Germany (the home of the Kemper Profiler), we NEVER have fuses inside cables. And accordingly the original high-tech very special power cable that shipped with my Profiler didn't have a fuse either. Just a simple power cable that everybody has tens or hundreds flying around. :)

PS:
    The Amperes noted beneath the power connector on your Profiler just means that this is the maximum electric current consumed by the Profiler. And this information combined with the basically 2 different voltages available means: max. 10A when using 110V (1100Watts) or max. 5A when running under 220V (1100Watts). You see?

• Electricity supplies or stability are not even all over the world tho... there's a reason for everything in this life ;D

While you're right that there are lots of differences, the basic principles of electricity are the same everywhere. ;)
    For example the fact that the 5A fuse is totally correct for the UK's 230V system.
    And a device that has a removable power cable will not loose its warranty if you dare to use another cable (as long as it has an appropriate 5A fuse in the UK).

• Dude, just use any cable you can find, it won't harm anything in your KPA. It's just a cable, either it fits and works, or it doesn't fit - that's it. You can be sure that any cable with that connector will work.

MJT Strats / PRS Guitars / Many DIY Guitars -- Kemper Profiler Rack / Kemper Remote / InEar

• I know, and I could go out and buy a kettle lead as I had a look for a spare one and I don't have one handy.

On principal though, I want Kemper to send me out a new one. I shouldn't have to go out and pay for one, and Im going to pursue Kemper for a legit power cord in the meantime. I feel like a kid on Christmas morning that opens up their new remote control car, and realises that "Santa" forgot to include batteries! :)
    Besides, I've been screwed in the past by a different manufacturer over a preamp in my studio.

Story for yee:
    Basically, one of the knobs on the front of a preamp I owned broke after a year as it was always flimsy from the start. I'm very careful with my things so it wasn't too-much-force that broke it.
    Anyways, I replaced it with an off-the-shelf knob that I found on amazon and it worked ok.
    About a year and a half later the preamp started acting weird, giving odd fluctuations in volume, and introducing weird noise and click etc into the sound.
    I contacted the retailer I bought it from and I sent it over to them. 2 weeks later I got back an email saying that since the unit had been modified with the new knob on the front, they were unable to honour their 3 year warranty on items. My guess is that when they receive defective items, they then send them on to the manufacturer and the manufacturer decided not to fix it. I only think this as the retailer is very well known and I bought and used their warranty once before with a defective ebow (arrived cracked in the box) without any issues.

Suffice to say I was pissed, but lesson learned....
    (and in case you are curious, they sent the preamp back to me, and I ended up selling it to a friend of mine (for next to nothing) who is an electronic engineer who likes to mess with these sort of things.)

Follow things "to the 'T'" with warranties and don't give any manufacturer any excuse to not honour their warranty, no matter how inconsequential you think the action you take is.

I'm not saying that Kemper are like that at all. In fact, I'd say that they are quite the opposite - public forums with active staff members addressing issues, listening to customer requests - they obviously care about their products and their user base. :thumbup:
    But "fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me" with this....ie, I'd rather be super cautious (especially with the LED issues that can happen with KPAs) and safe, than sorry in the long run.

Anyways, the reason I started this thread was that I was hoping someone official from Kemper could see the action I took in the original post, and could verify for me if I took the correct course of action.
    (No disrespect meant to any one else on this thread, I'd just like something a bit more "official" from the company. I do appreciate all the suggestions and comments :) . Thanks! :thumbup: )

Im not looking for compensation or anything (tough a free Kemper Gig Bag would be nice! heh! :P ;) ), I'm just wanting to ensure that this issue is seen as Im not 100% if my original email to them would be seen. Some of these companies have necessary strict email/spam filters, so just checking.
    I absolutely adore my KPA, and it broke my heart sending my old one off to get fixed (dead LEDs). You've no idea how much I look forward to using my KPA with my guitar cab. :thumbup:
    Thanks

• Anyways, I replaced it with an off-the-shelf knob that I found on amazon and it worked ok.
    About a year and a half later the preamp started acting weird, giving odd fluctuations in volume, and introducing weird noise and click etc into the sound.
    I contacted the retailer I bought it from and I sent it over to them. 2 weeks later I got back an email saying that since the unit had been modified with the new knob on the front, they were unable to honour their 3 year warranty on items.

Italian lesson # 2:

When you replace/move/change anything from a device under warranty, always keep the original parts ans mount them back before sending the unit.
    Don't do anything on the unit which can show you've opened/modified it.

... all in good spirit of course :D

• Italian lesson # 2:

When you replace/move/change anything from a device under warranty, always keep the original parts ans mount them back before sending the unit.
    Don't do anything on the unit which can show you've opened/modified it.

... all in good spirit of course :D

Heh, I learned that lesson the hard way!! :)

You Italiens sure are a crafty bunch! ;)

Thanks for the suggestion Martin. I'll do that on Monday if my email gets no reply (rushing out to a gig at the moment!) Thanks

• Just an update:

My original email reply worked. I got an "sorry for the mishap" type email and a new power lead was sent out to me the next working day. I got it yesterday, and after a quick restore from my old KPA, the Powerhead is back singing as ever before! :)

These things happen and I hold no ill-will towards Kemper...not that I ever did or actually could! :)

They even threw in a few plectrums and badges into the bag which was nice. I had 2 of them swiped on me already by bandmates yesterday!
    Thanks Kemper

A+++ customer service, I must say! :thumbup: