New owner here - hello everyone! and a few questions.

• Hi everyone, my name is Zach. I just received my new Kemper Power Rack yesterday, and I've been having a lot of fun with it!

I've done a lot of research to lead me to buying the Kemper. I posted in the "questions & answers" section because this is not only an introductory thread but also a thread with a few questions.

I will be using the Kemper at home for practice. I have a pair of M-Audio Studiophile AV 40 Active Studio Monitor Speakers. They sound ok with the Kemper, but I'm sure I can get better tones through something else. Since my rack is powered, what speakers at home would give me the best tone?

I also plan to bring the Kemper to band practice, and I plan to use the traditional power amp -> cab setup. Should I just disable the cab sim on the tones when using this setup? I understand my cab (Mesa 4x 12) will have a big effect on the tone. Will I still get pretty good tones using this? Or are most of the tones made for use with cab sims and PA speakers?

I apologize if these have been asked before - I wasn't able to come across these answers in the forum.

Thanks everyone, I am looking forward to being a member of this awesome community!

Zach

• Quick answer is to treat it like an amplifier if that is how you want to use it. It is what I do., I do not like playing it through a FRFR pa speaker. Just my preference. I run the Kemper into a Mosvalve power amp into either a 1x12 or a 2x12 depending on how much air I need to push. Just like a traditional amp I tweak everything a little to work together but it is not hard. I turn the cab sims off of the monitor out and use that as my feed to a power amp. My Kemper sounds just like my Friedman BE-100 I profiled, when we a/b'ed them it was hard to tell the Kemper from the amp.

Good luck and enjoy!

Mike

• Ciao Zach, welcome here :)

My choice - and my advise - would be to use a couple of passive CLRs in the studio, and to take one of them with you when you gig or rehearse.
    This way you'd not only have the best possible sonic quality in studio (suited for listening to general music programs and for mixing/mastering as well) but also a very high sonic coherence in studio and outside it.
    You'd basically kill three birds with a stone :D

• Consider the Atomic Active CLR. I have the Kemper Profiler PowerHead as well but opted for the active CLR as it gives optimum sound quality over the passive option (the built-in power amp is specifically designed to work with the CLR monitor as opposed to being a general one-size-fits-all solution).

I now have the option of getting specific rig sounds out of the unit as well as pushing air with my favorite cab. :thumbup:

• I'd add that the active CLR has got a DSP which the passive version is missing. Furthermore, the difference in weight is risible.

I'd just not have the money for owning a powertoaster plus an active CLR, but I guess it's ethic if one can afford it :D