Need cab suggestions for Kemper!

• Hey all, I'm looking into the Kemper Powerhead quite seriously now and I wanted to ask a few questions about the output that I want to send it to.

Ideally I want to play through a cab as I don't have a PA at home and I don't see the point in buying speakers when I'll need it for band practice. We don't have a PA there and a cab seems like the best option.

When playing live I may well plug into the PA and have a monitor set up.

My questions.

- I would like a 212 cab, can you recommend me some that are perfect for delivering the best tone (general consensus) without colouring it further from the Kempers own model. If possible this cannot be one of the Atomic type cabs because I'll be trading in at my local shop and they wouldn't buy from an independent dealer.

- Is it perfectly fine and would it sound good if I were to use my Orange PPC212 with the Kemper?

- Which is preferable?

Thanks! [Blocked Image: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/images/smilies/smile.gif]

• Welcome!
    With the Poweramp you actually have ALL THE OPTIONS!
    1. Use a guitar cab YOU like for its sonic flavour
    2. Use an FRFR cab, preferably a decent one like Yamaha DXR 210 or Atomic CLR or Matrix Q12a for exploiting the Kemper cabs to its fullest potential.
    Really, it's up to you.
    If you have a cab you're absolutely in love with, then go for it, the Kemper will sound awesome through it.
    If you are undecided you might want to check out several guitar cabs OR FRFR cabs.

• Orange cabs are great quality and, as you already have one, I'd stick with that for the moment. You can always check out alternatives later.

Mesa cabs are great but hugely expensive in the UK so may not be an option. I've found that a combination of guitar cabs and frfr sounds huge (if not as accurate as pure frfr) so adding a dxr10 or similar to your rig could be worth a try.

• This discussion can go very far!

I'm not sure I got the cab/speakers issue. I guess by the former you mean a guitar cab?
    Also I'm missing how you not owning a studio and rehearsing with the band should prevent you from buying a speaker, provided i got it right. WOuld you elaborate?

If you want a cab which will not alter the profiler's sonic output spectrum then no guitar cab will do the trick: the best option is the most linear, transparent, powerful cab you can afford. At that stage, it being 2x12 won't be an issue any longer.
    Also keep in mind that "best tone" and "not colouring" are two different things in most people's mind. Some say they prefer a guitar cab to a CLR, because it sounds better to them. But it certainly ain't no faithful.

Between linear systems and guitar cabs there's a lot of room for "in the middle" solutions, like some full-range cabs from Matrix or KPA-Solutions.
    Basically, I guess you should clarify what you're after to us, so we can focus our answers.

:)

• Hey. Thanks for the replies. The Yamaha is a good option.

Viabcroce - I wouldn't want to use smallish speakers, I'd prefer a nice large cab. I guess speakers and a cab would have the same wattage and output so it's more or less the same thing. But for cosmetic reasons I'd like a traditional looking cab. One that provides the purest tone, so I guess it would be a frfr type cab. :)

Edited once, last by PhilUK84 ().

• For studio use Kemper is definitely the best, no other way to get so good results with so little effort. In my live-bands it is more difficult. I play in two coverbands with pop and rock songs, and one band with stoner-rock music. I only use the kemper for the coverbands, and a tube amp for the stoner band (65 amp lil elvis, cause i only need one good sound). I bought a yamaha dxr12 for monitoring, but it is not so easy to get a good sound. It's obvious the sounds you dial in at rehearsel at home don't translate to a band environment. especially in a rather loud on-stage band it is difficult to get a good sound. I played a couple of times with a band with electronic drums and it was way better because dynamics and sound overall is more 'hifi'. With an acoustic drum and loud bass player i was just dialing and dialing on the kemper + dxr12. Now i changed back to my old orange 2x12 cab and it's way better and much easier to get a good sound. The highs are much more pleasent and that in your face sound is back again. I use an american audio elx 4000 (a lot cheaper then the matrix): way enough power and very tight. Feels like my old koch powertone with damping set at zero.
    I guess i am too used to the sound of the orange :) Changing from a fender twin to a marshall stack live seems great but in practice is very hard to dial in.
    I profiled my own orange cab and placed this cab on all the amp-profiles i use so the audience hear the same as i do trough the p.a.

• Okay, so which model is that one?

(I don't know if you can tell but I'm new to all of this, tube amps and cabs etc I'm a pro with, but audio equipment aside from that and I'm pretty much a noob :))

• Please help me understand better. Let's say you have a Power KPA. And, you have hundreds of (coming up on 600 myself) mind blowing amp profiles.

Why try to simulate a 4 speaker cab through a single speaker CLR?
    Why not find a cab that sounds great with an amp profile that you like (without the cab simulation)?

If you are going direct to a PA or studio recording, the cab simulation seems critical.

I have tried a Mesa cab and a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe cab. I haven't been able to try a CLR yet. But, it seems to me that it wouldn't necessarily sound better. It would probably sound closer to the simulated cab. But, unless it was a 1x12 cab, I just don't understand why I'd want to try to emulate the cab sound through a CLR.

Please help me understand. Thanks.

BTW, I love the KPA through my Fender cab, and it was much less expensive than a CLR. Am I crazy?