Awaiting delivery!!! A few questions :)

• Can anyone recommend me a few footswitches for me to use of various price ranges and also is it worth downloading from the Amp Factory or are the free profiles just as good?

Thanks!

• Hey Phil, welcome here :)

Do you mean on-off switches. What would their purpose be? Switching rigs up/down?

As for the profiles, I'd suggest to take your time to understand how the machine works and how you can affect a profile's sound... And also how each of them relates to your guitars.
    Keep in mind that a professionally-made profile might have been thought for a band or mix context and sound apparently weak or unsatisfaying when you play alone.

Lots of power and versatility in the Profiler, no need to rush spending your money IMO :)

• By footswitch I mean, a unit that enables me to switch between profiles and turn the stomp boxes on and off etc.

I have read that the profiles have been updated many times over the last couple of years and actually sound much better than they did. Would you agree with this?

Also, my only other modelling experience is with my Eleven Rack, which I love as a headphone and rough recording tool. I did once try to hook it up to the PA but it took a lot of messing around, so I'm going to use the Kemper as a head into my cab. Is it as simple as plugging it in and turning cabs off in the KPA? It seems quite simple. :)

• The Behringer FCB1010 is a budget solution. In combination with the UnO4Kemper chip it is a plug and play solution. Search the forum, there are some threads dealing with this topic.

QUOTE:
    Is it as simple as plugging it in and turning cabs off in the KPA? It seems quite simple. :)

Yes. If you tend to use a traditional guitar cab.

• As for the profiles, I'd suggest to take your time to understand how the machine works and how you can affect a profile's sound... And also how each of them relates to your guitars.

I think it all depends on what you're looking for, what music style you're playing, which amps you prefer. I haven't been very happy with the factory profiles and I quickly went shopping at TheAmpFactory and I don't regret a cent spent for these rigs.

Keep in mind that a professionally-made profile might ... sound apparently weak or unsatisfaying when you play alone.

And the opposite frequently happens as well. ;)

... no need to rush spending your money IMO :)

No need but not a mistake either, imho. Better to spend some extra money on great profiles/rigs so you can enjoy the Profiler from day 1, than to try to tweak the hell out of the existing stuff on day 1. Make it a fun experience instead of snorkling through the menus for hours. :)

Cheers,
    Martin

• By footswitch I mean, a unit that enables me to switch between profiles and turn the stomp boxes on and off etc.)

You can use any footswitch to do rudimentary switching.
    A midi board is much more convenient though.

I have read that the profiles have been updated many times over the last couple of years and actually sound much better than they did. Would you agree with this?
    )

No, this is bollocks.
    The profiles have always sounded the same and will continue to do so.
    Also Updates of the profiler DON'T change the sound.

The Behringer FCB1010 is a budget solution. In combination with the UnO4Kemper chip it is a plug and play solution. Search the forum, there are some threads dealing with this topic.

QUOTE:
    Is it as simple as plugging it in and turning cabs off in the KPA? It seems quite simple. :)

Yes. If you tend to use a traditional guitar cab.

I'd go for this FCB 1010 with Uno4Kemper very good for the price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• No, it won't work. It needs to be a non-latching switch, also known as a Momentary switch. For example, a keyboard's sustain pedal is a momentary switch. The Boss FS-6 will work. Anything non-latching.

Or for build your own for a fraction of the cost of the boss. I built 2 for $25 total. Super easy to wire.

• The Amp Factory profiles are really, really good. I seem to prefer them to most of the free ones (both factory and on the exchange).

I'd recommend buying a single amp set from TAF (pick your favorite). A/B it against other free profiles. That will give you a good idea what TAF will deliver.

• Yea I had a listen to the Mesa Lonestar one, it sounds quite good. Any thoughts on which ones are particularly good?

I like stuff like Hendrix, early Chillis, Queens of the Stone Age, Pumpkins, Led Zep, Stones etc.

• It is all about preferences.
    I'm a very satisfied TAF customer and user myself but at the same time I love lots of the factoery content.
    so I find it sad to see the factory profiles bashed frequently in an unnecessary way.
    We all know by now that Lightbox doesn't like them but a LOT of people do, and rightfully so.
    And when a user who hasn't even received the profiler yet asks for advice it is bad advice IMO to lead somebody to 3rd party profiles in the beginning.
    A much better advice is to first audition what's in the box and go from there.

• I didn't bash the factory rigs at all. I just disagree with viabcroce's opinion, that it's best to learn how to tweak the factory rigs first. Of course it's best to audition the existing content first. Sadly there's very little guidance available to "audition" the factory content unless you start scrolling and noodling through the hundreds of rigs. I preferred the demo clips available for Soundside's and TAF's commercial rigs.

Things have become a bit easier to handle since we have the (sortable) list of factory rigs on wikpa.org though. Now we can see what's hidden behind the sometimes weird rig names. It's easier now to pick a specific rig to try without getting lost in rigs that demo specific effects or amps that we might not be interested in.

The most important thing is to make your first experience with the Profiler an unforgettable wow moment, now matter how you do. If you have a chance to listen to demo clips of specific amps before your Profiler arrives and you seriously fall in love with some of them ... there's nothing wrong to buy and/or download them and go from there.

Just imagine you are in a huge retail store with hundreds of new and vintage amps and you're free to try all of them. There will be a few you want to try first or you're sitting in the corner waiting until someone else stops trying a couple of amps and while listening you think "wow, I have to try this one as well". No matter how you choose, just make sure you find a way to pick what YOU want to hear and try first. There's no point in trying ALL in alphabetical order until after maybe 30 rigs there's one that seems to fit your taste. And there's even less point in trying to tweak a given mediocre rig until you might like it better.

That's pretty much all I tried to say with much less words.

Cheers,
    Martin

PS: I certainly know a few great TAF rig packs I would suggest. But I think it's better to just go and listen to the demo clips available and decide on your own.

• ... I'd also appreciate some guidance and advice on the amp factory stuff.

One of the best amps to experience the amazing steaming tube growl that can be reproduced with the Kemper (imho) is the 1968 Orange Matamp from TAF. And if you're interested to experience the Profiler's capabilities to handle dynamics of your right hand with a great, less known amp, then you might want to check the ToneKing Galaxy from TAF. Personally I like the Marshall Bluesbreaker a lot but that's an amp/combo you would probably find on your own if you like this amp's tone. :)

Apart from these 2 (3) suggestions, there's a lot more to discover of course. Lots of choice incl. the well known suspects in Fender and Marshall territory. Just go and listen to the demo clips. They give you a good idea what to expect.

Cheers,
    Martin