First few hours with my Kemper - impressions...

• Morning All,

So, after what seemed like the longest morning ever, my Kemper lunchbox arrived yesterday afternoon. After finding a new plug/lead to use as the box one was bent out of shape - I fired it up and went through the presets -

- The clean and crunch tones have a lot more dynamics and '3D' or 'air' quality to them than the Eleven Rack I used previously.
    - Effects are top notch, and the whole unit seems very intuitive porting across from the Eleven.

-Initially, all the high gain patches sounded very similar, I use Tonerider Rocksong pickups in my LTD EC-1000 (12k bridge, 8k neck - Alnico II's) and it wasn't until I lowered the distortion sens to -12 that I got a lot more dynamics and amp like distortion. To my ears, the dist sens acted like raising the pickup height and perceived to drive the input stage. I got much more pleasing and sit-with-a-massive-grin-on-your-face-playing-guitar tones this way, just using the amp gain or a stomp to boost.

-Later, I imported some Rigs, and was blown away with Fluff's and Lasse's amp packs - Plus the Marshall gulab crunch mod and a few Chris Beaver patches, it's astonishing the tones you can get from this unit.

But, the best factor so far is the amp eq and cab character tones. I spent dozens of HOURS making eq patches on the Eleven to dial out fizz, and shape a pre-amp to how I wanted it. With the Kemper, a few little eq touches go a long way.

I'd happily and easily say this is the best day for my guitar gear and playing since the day I got my first tube amp. The Kemper is certainly the real deal. Hats off to all involved - convert for life here!

-Tonerider

• I agree. Having come from the 11R where I'd spend hours trying to get a decent fuzz or plexi tone, I had much better tones instantly with this unit.

Sounds just like my Rockerverb, amazing.

• Hi Tonerider,

great to hear you quickly found patches that fit your taste. I'm sure that as you get to know the Profilers cababilities in tone sculpting (as some user named it) you'll love the unit even more.

Hi Tonerider,

great to hear you quickly found patches that fit your taste. I'm sure that as you get to know the Profilers cababilities in tone sculpting (as some user named it) you'll love the unit even more.

+1 on the above I've had mine a year now and am only just starting to get to grips with all its possibilities :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Congrats! You'll have lots of fun with I'm sure. I've had mine over a year and it took quite a while to unlock the full potential.

IIRC, lowering the distortion sense does exactly the same thing as lowering your gain, just on a different curve. (Lowering the DS by -5 is equal to lowering the gain by -1 or something like that).

• IIRC, lowering the distortion sense does exactly the same thing as lowering your gain, just on a different curve. (Lowering the DS by -5 is equal to lowering the gain by -1 or something like that).

Exactly.
    Before lowering distortion sense that much I'd reduce gain in specific patches.
    Or do you have VERY hot pickups?