Gain settings FRFR Speaker vs IEM/Headphones

• Hi

I had my first live gig with the new Kemper this weekend, and it worked extremely well. I play in a coverband and for me the Kemper is the ultimate tool to get all the different guitar sounds I need.

But I have noticed one thing that I like to discuss here. We use inear monitoring (IEM) and it seems to me that profiles with overdrive, sounds more "overdriven" in the IEM than it does from the PA-speakers. This means that I have to set the gain settings too much for my taste when listening thru the IEM to get it right overdriven sound from the PA-speakers. When I tune my tone at home I use a AER speaker and different headsets I don't find this behaviour at home but maybe I need to play louder to get this "effect"?

So the question is: Do others find that the overdriven profiles sound less "overdriven" in the PA speakers if you compare it to the sound from headphones/IEM?

• I don't know about the difference in overdrive using headphones/IEM and PA speakers. But I do know this: Different speaker = different perceiving/producing of overdrive. Try different cabs with a profile and you'll notice that too. And in the end headphones and PA speakers are nothing more thand two different "cabs". So I'm not very surprised about that.

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• Hi

We use the Sennheiser EW 300 IEM G3 and I have Shure se425 with custom sleeves. I don't think its any boosts from the IEM system, I don't get any peaks in the IEM unit so I don't think anything is technical wrong. First I thought it was something with the usage of the Line6 Relay system, but I get the same "thing" if I use cable or wireless.

It feels like its more the voicing of a PA don't give the same amount of distortion, like the gain is turned down or the direct mix is turned up.

• Since you have high quality IEM probably the issue sits in the PA.
    If IEM and AER give you the same sound, probably something in the mixer and or pa settings cuts some frequencies that make you hear some more distortion.
    Probably the PA misses some frequencies which are in the same range of high and presence controls.
    Just wondering...

• Ps: when you play live do you have any monitor besides the iems? Which output are you using? Are you using the space fx? Wonder if what you feel has something to do with the perception of a more liquid sound that you might have thanks to the space fx.

• Ps: when you play live do you have any monitor besides the iems? Which output are you using? Are you using the space fx? Wonder if what you feel has something to do with the perception of a more liquid sound that you might have thanks to the space fx.

I'm not using any monitors beside the IEM. I'm using the main output L+R to FOH, then I have the signal returned to my IEM. I don't use the space fx because I don't want to have that FX in my signal to FOH. But I think I will try that effect when I get home tonight to see if that may simulate the PA speaker better in my IEM?

We have two more gigs this weekend, so I will try the Kemper on different PA systems and maybe learn something more :)