Powerhead Amplifier

• I recall having seen a link somewhere to another site that links to the manufacturer's site of the actual amp used in the Powerhead, but darned if I can find it. Couldn't find it in the Wiki either. There were some posts that mention a B&O amp but I seem to recall it was something else. Anyone know where it is? Thanks!

• Never mind, I found the answer... from ck himself...

You are right, I said that.
    The protection circuits do not act properly at 4 Ohm, that's why we do not recommend it.
    Still it's possible, but do not run too high volumes, otherwise you will break the power amp.

• Some info from the datasheet for the Icepower 1000A amplifier, for information only:

PO Output power @ 0.1%THD+N
    10Hz < f < 1kHz (AES17 measurement filter):
    1000W RL=4Ω, Vp =120V
    800W RL=6Ω, Vp =120V
    600W R =8Ω, Vp =120V

f Frequency response 20 – 1kHz, all loads ±0.5 ±1 dB
    fu Upper bandwidth limit (-3dB), RL = 4Ω: 3 kHz
    fl Lower bandwidth limit (-3dB), RL = 4Ω: 4 Hz
    Zo Output impedance f = 1kHz : 5 typ/10 max mΩ
    ZL Load impedance range 2 Ω min /4 Ω typ
    D Dynamic range A-weighted 120 dB

And a VERY important caveat:

Warning! The balanced speaker outputs are both “hot” with a common-mode DC level equal to Vp/2. Always
    use balanced probes for monitoring and measurements. Shorting one of the terminals to ground results in an
    over current situation. As the module has no internal current limiter even a brief short circuit (phase-to-phase or
    phase-to-GND) will damage the device beyond repair. Current limiting circuitry must be connected externally.

CK says that the protection doesn't work properly at 4 ohms. So it would be wise to avoid going below 8 ohms. Caveat emptor. :-0

• Wow, that sucks if you're a bass player or use a 4 ohm full range monitor for guitar (me = both). 1000w @ 4ohms would have been more than perfect.

I can't believe that have that in their specs, yet the protection circuit doesn't work at 4 ohms. Did someone say Accusation Switch? (a little Accugroove joke ) :D

So I take it the protection circuit is in the power amp right, not a Kemper feature?

I think I'm going to email B+O and see whats up with their false advertising. Imagine if Matrix did that! Hopefully they'll upgrade their amp one day to a working spec.

edit: from reading the 1000A pdf, it doesn't have a thermal shutdown feature built in, so if the protection circuit is covering that, that's from Kemper's end. Which sounds like it's Kemper's protection circuit to blame, not the 1000A... :cursing:

1000A

Edited once, last by Bevosss ().

• If you need massive amount of SPL and a huge impulsive power then I'd go for an external amp aimed at amplifying an electric bass :)

I don't need either...just an amp that can do 4 ohms safely, like most bass players use. And apparently the 1000A IS capable according to their specs. So, disappointing, still have to lug around extra iron....