Midi switching options for KPA..

• Hello all.
    As a new ;) Kemper owner I am going to get a midi foot controller.
    I like to use external expression pedals.
    As a midi switching foot controller I have the Tech21 Midi Moose in my scope for its simplicity.

- But is it possible to switch the stomps (A, B, C or D) on / off using this foot controller ?

I also would like to have the option of switching the X and Mod on / off as well.

Cheers
    TF

• Hey TF,

You can't do that with a stock Moose, but I modified mine to do just that, plus use a expression pedal and power additional 9V pedals with the Moose's power jack, and it connects with just a single cable to the foot controller.

Details are here

Or you could make pedals just to control the Stomps/Effects, which I also did (see my profile picture to see a couple). You can have 4 switches, or 2 switches and an expression pedal.

• Ur2funky, could you still use the 2 KPA expression ins for volume and wah and then you midi moose exp in for other values like delay mix?

New talent management advice to Laura Cox -

“Laura want to break the internet? let’s shoot another video of you covering the Nightrain solo in the blue singlet, but this time we’ll crank up the air conditioning”.

• Unfortunately the Midi Moose doesn't come with an expression input. The jacks I put on mine are the Kemper's inputs and so you have to choose to use the switches or pedals or a combination.

But there are other controllers on the market that offer expression inputs. The Roland GFC-50 is a small one, and you can find ARTs cheap, but then the size issue is back and Behringer looks better.

Here's a list of Foot controllers

• Actually I have already bought the Midi Moose although i know that making CC commands are not possible. It is dead simple and very well built.
    I did see your modified Moose. My problem with this modification is that you don't have the option of having two expression inputs AND four switches for stomp control (on / off).
    I like two have two expression pedals - one as wah and one as a volume pedal. Using one of the expression inputs for a volumepedal enables the smart feature in the Kemper where the tuner is activated once the pedal is in the heel position which I find quite usefull. I also like the wah in the Kemper both for sound and the fact that it can be configured to go inactive when the wah is in a paused position.

I have looked at two possible solutions :

I will use the Moose to make rig changes. I use one expression input as wah pedal. I then connect two switches on the other expression input for controlling two stomps on / off.
    The volume pedal will then be connected like normal in front of the Kemper.

I still use the Moose to make rig changes. I use both expression input on the Kemper as wah and volumepedal.
    For controlling stomps on / off I would find a DIY electronic kit to have CC messages sent from 4 switches to midi.

OR

we could wait to see what Midi floorboard Christoph Kemper is releasing, allthough it has been on the way for quite some time..

Cheers
    TF

• I was think about this, good price, no expression though.

http://www.peak2005.com/j/midi…oot-controller-ver20.html

Any thoughts, I'm a midiot. Has cc commands, just want to turn stomps on/ off and step through performance mode.

“Laura want to break the internet? let’s shoot another video of you covering the Nightrain solo in the blue singlet, but this time we’ll crank up the air conditioning”.

• Is there no manual coming with the foot controller? The CC commands for the KPA you'll find in the KPA-manuals as well. Give it a try, setting this up is no rocket sience. :)

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• I was think about this, good price, no expression though.

http://www.peak2005.com/j/midi…oot-controller-ver20.html

Any thoughts, I'm a midiot. Has cc commands, just want to turn stomps on/ off and step through performance mode.

I may be wrong, but that looks like it has banks of 4 presets. You could just choose presets with this and Not turn on and off Stomps in those presets.

The simplest way to step up and down thru performance mode and have access to two Stomps/Effects is with momentary switches. There are several on the market, or build your own for less than $30 US. I made mine, and they're super simple to wire, no batteries or power supply, and no programming.

Or use these four momentary switches together with the Peak to change patches.

Of course there is the Behringer controller with the uno chip...vol, wah, patch change, stomps and in one setup.

• Thanks for the reply ur2, the behringer is just too big, and I need the foot KPA switches for volume post effects and wah.

I'll check out the peak manual and keep searching.

• I looked at just about everything I could find Midi-wise to control my Kemper before I settled on the POD HD500x. Even though it seems complicated, I really like using my POD HD500x (regular HD500 works too, the X3 won't do all the same midi commands, but would probably work fine too) to do midi switching.

It does everything with just one midi cable, has 1 pedal so it is pretty compact and has a toe switch to switch between wah/volume (if you have a wah setup in the patch) you can program it by creating a preset template, copying that to all the slots (the template I use is setup to control the kemper with midi) and then just tell the kemper which rig to assign to which midi command.

I have been using it with the Kemper for 6 months or so with no issues. The best thing is, it has a real screen which shows the presets (if you enter the names in the POD software) so you know what preset name is coming up instead of just seeing a flashing number. It helps in a live situation so you don't get turned around and press the wrong bank.

Used HD500's are between $250 and $350 at Guitar Center and there are a lot for sale. This combo is hard to beat price wise and performance wise. The really high cost Midi foot controllers like Gordius, Liquid foot, etc. would probably be even better, but they cost so much more than even a brand new HD500x. Good luck with your Midi controller search!