[BR] Cleanup system @ deinstall

• Bugreport

Hi, may I ask you to improve the deinstaller to do a better job of cleaning up the system?
    Here's what I found after I deinstalled my test installation on my laptop computer.

• Driver is still there, in the file system and in the registry
    • AppData\Local\Temp\Kemper Amps and its content aren't removed
    • AppData\Roaming\Kemper Amps and its content aren't removed
    • Registry still contains preferences in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Kemper Amps

Also I would ask you to consider cleaning up the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Kemper Amps\RigManager\ListViews regularly (when a RigManager Local Rigs subfolder has been deleted).

Cheers,
    Martin

• Really?

- Uninstalling a driver is something you shouldn't trigger. When a driver is introduced to the system, it usually stays there. This goes for all drivers I know of.
    - The local app data stays there, we assume that >99% do want to keep their settings when uninstalling and installing again a later version etc.
    - The registry settings comprise of about 1k of data, the same thing applies to that (settings usually want to be kept)

• Really?

- Uninstalling a driver is something you shouldn't trigger. When a driver is introduced to the system, it usually stays there. This goes for all drivers I know of.
    - The local app data stays there, we assume that >99% do want to keep their settings when uninstalling and installing again a later version etc.
    - The registry settings comprise of about 1k of data, the same thing applies to that (settings usually want to be kept)

I disagree with each of your statements.

1. The OP is correct. There are many reasons that a user may choose to uninstall a driver. It might later be discovered it doesn't interact well with other drivers, it might be replaced by another vendor's driver, etc. Uninstall should get rid of it. Perhaps a reboot may be required, but it should be gone after uninstall. Every software manufacturer knows this.

2. Your assumption is way off, and regardless of the percentage of people who want to keep their data, the rest want it gone. A good uninstaller should give a user the option to keep or remove it.

3. Uninstallers should clean up their registry entries. Some use the registry to determine whether their product has ever been installed, but it's best practice for the uninstaller to remove whatever has been created by the app.

[EDIT: I noticed the registry key mentioned by the OP is "HKCU\Software\Kemper Amps". This is not the RigManager subkey. This is manufacturer key, which might be used for other products, so this key may be left in case other products are installed]

• I disagree with each of your statements.

You can do that.

1. The OP is correct. There are many reasons that a user may choose to uninstall a driver. It might later be discovered it doesn't interact well with other drivers

There is no interaction with other drivers. The driver is also not active at all when the device is not connected.

it might be replaced by another vendor's driver, etc. Uninstall should get rid of it. Perhaps a reboot may be required, but it should be gone after uninstall.

There won't be another vendor for drivers for the KPA.

Every software manufacturer knows this.

I doubt there will be a different driver for the Profiler, except updates from Kemper. In that case, an appropriate upgrade path is designed.
    [techtalk]
    In general: no driver is automatically uninstalled on any software I know. Just check how many hidden/disconnected devices you have just when you have used a few USB sticks.
    And if Kemper would provide drivers via WHQL, you wouldn't even notice that they are there.
    After driver installation (which is actually a propagation), the informations of the inf/cab are processed by the device manager. You can not access this information without dubious tricks.
    [/techtalk]

Nevertheless, the driver files in the Program Files location should be uninstalled, you're right.

• Right - I think the best is to prompt the user with the option during uninstall. that said, i think needing a program to clean up the app data is a low priority. It seems like everyone who really cares already knows how to get rid of it when they want to.

• Really?

It is exactly this (righteous and careless) attitude of 3rd party programmers that makes a windows pc the typical junkyard after a while.
    If I decide to uninstall a software I want everything that came with it gone. How can you assume that 99% of the users uninstall to reinstall?
    How about an update for that.

And no user should have to clean registry entries manually.

90% of the game is half-mental.

• Thanks, bigHF for your support. I didn't answer for a couple of days because I was just shocked about timo's answer.
    I can accept it the way it is as long as it's beta software. No problem. But for the final product, housekeeping deserves some more love for sure.