best setup for using KPA with headphones

• I'm opening a new thread because there is not a general consensus on what works best if you want to use your kemper at home (jamming along backing tracks, practicing, recording) with headphones. I am fully aware that you can't compare the sound you get from a good pair of studio monitors or cabs, however I want to find the best possible situation for my home practice.

Some forum users say that the headphone out is loud enough, and with a good pair of headphones(something like beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO- 250 ohms) you can get a hi-def sound. I've also read that some experienced dull sounds while listening directly with their cans plugged into KPA.

Others say that you need a headphone amp or plug your kemper into a mixer(that has a preamp) and then plug your cans into your mixer.

So what would be the best setup? I would like to hear from users who tried different settings.
    Would appreciate your take on this.

Thanks a lot!

• I use the headphone out of my Toaster for the same purpose you describe. I route the output of my interface to the Aux and Return inputs so i can play along backingtracks. When recording i sometimes use my interfaces headphone out, because you obviously can't pan the guitarsound on the Profiler hard left/right (unless you do a workaround using the pitch shifter).

• I use my Profiler through Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56, where I adjust seperate mixes for headphones, studio monitors, PA monitor and Looper. Backing Tracks, Drum Loops, all kind of music come from my workstation or other external instruments like the Korg Kronos X or sometimes a Boss DR-880. Although this usually requires the computer to be switched on, I prefer this setup.

Regarding headphones: I use the Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 80 Ohms. Don't want to say they are better than the DT-990 250 Ohms, but they certainly produce some more volume due to the lower impedance. The Profiler's headphones out can be set pretty loud though. If you decide to connect them to an interface, you'll have to try if the 250 Ohms phones are loud enough for you. You shouldn't worry about quality though. Headphone amp would only be necessary if you need more volume, imho.

Cheers
    Martin

• There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with the Headphone outs, volume or tone-wise. In fact, if going out any other way DOESN'T sound good, using Headphones is a great way to know your Kemper is fine and it's either a setting on the out's, or your setup (dead wire, audio card settings, monitor settings etc)

Volume-wise, you don't need an amplifier. If you are playing at 10 on the headphone volume (or 0db on the Master) you are damaging your ears on certain patches with volume boost. I urge you to get a db tester so you know proper levels to avoid ear damage. Headphones is the best way to destroy your hearing.

That said, some of the best ways to play in headphones along with a recording is to be able to send the recording to one side. This way you can hear your playing distinctly from that of the recording.

When I'm not using my Monitors, I use Ear Buds to play the recording with headphones over from the Kemper. This way I don't get phase cancellations putting both out the same speaker in the Headphone.

There are many ways to do it though, using just the Kemper (AUX IN being the main one)

• A general rule is that HPs' behaviour may change a lot along with HP amp's characteristics (impedance, maximun current and the like). How much this happens depends on HPs' characteristics (impedance, sensitivity and the like).
    It is worth mentioning that the impedance is not a fixed value, but varies with the frequency. So, HPs' nominal impedance gives some information but does't tell the whole story.

IOW, not all the HPs sound good with all the devices. Add to this that the amplitude response of a HP changes when it gets worn, depending on user's physical configuration.

Last but not least, add user's preferences, which make some say that a device sounds spectacular while others say it's crappy.

Summing up, unless you're given correct datasheets for both the device and the HPs, and you know how to read them, it's always advisable to try HPs by oneself, coupled with the intended device. Not necessarily HPs which sound great with a device will behave the same with others

:)