Kemper turns power on when moving the chickenhead switch to tuner

• Hi guys!

I have searched the forums as well as the Internet but have not found anything about this.

Got my KPA a week ago. It was a slightly used one but I bought it from a local store with warranty.
    When starting it up the first time I did not have to enter my name and time so it was obviously not reset.
    I found a soft key that said "Factory Rigs" so I ran that and as a result I got a total of 1349 rigs in the Kemper.
    Next I installed to Rig Manager but only 1000 rigs where transferred.

I read in an article that only 1000 rigs could be stored in the Kemper so I thought I need to reduce the number of rigs.
    Also I got the message on start-up of the Kemper that I could not add any more rigs since the rig memory was full.
    I took a backup that resulted in 1298 rigs when mounting the backup in Rig Manager. The message from Rig Manager
    was that some of the rigs where duplicates.

After the backup I found a soft key on the Kemper that said delete all rigs except Favourites. I pressed it and the Kemper
    started deleting. And here is where the problem started. The Kemper froze. Nothing happened. It was on for two hour
    but with no progress I decided to turn it off.

After that it did not want to start. I unplugged the power for 15 minutes and after that it started again.
    BUT the funny thing is, now it powers on when I turn the chickenhead switch to Tuner. Before it froze it powered on when
    the chickenhead was turned to Browse.

Is this a problem?

Eveeything else seems fine. I upgraded the software from 2.3.1. to 2.3.2. and only 349 rigs appeared. I used the Rig Manager to
    remove them all but one and then used my backup to restore only 50+ of my favourites.

Everything seems to work. Syncing work with Rig Manager etc but the Kemper now always powers on when the chickenhead
    is turned from OFF to Tuner instead of from Tuner to Browse.

Is that ok?

Regards
    Georg

• Power is on in all positions other than off, and it boots and enters whatever mode you turn the switch to from the off position.

If I got a used KPA I would make a backup in case there were some interesting rigs there, load the latest firmware, reset to factory defaults, delete everything and then reload factory rigs from the firmware before I do anything else.

Users, new and old, may find a few useful hints in the KPA wiki

Edited once, last by heldal ().

• Thanks Heldal!

So basically you're saying that everything is fine? :)

I did do a back since there was 1298 rigs in the and many of them great.
    I loaded the latest firmware like you suggested. I did not however reset to factory default.
    How do you do that?

Regards
    Georg

• Hello george,
    Actually it is not normal that the Profiler did not start when switching to tuner. Check for the chickenhead to properly work, in case you can still return it or notify any possible malfunctioning to the original owner.

:)

• Thanks Viabcroce!

I thought that was the way it should work since the User Guide said:
    "Power the unit on by bringing the chicken head switch to the BROWSE position."

My Kemper only started if I turned it from OFF to something else than Tuner.
    But now it starts also when I turn it to Tuner. And if I understand you correctly
    that's the way it should be.

The actual chickenhead knob feels fine. Maybe there was some firmware issue?
    Anyway, I'll keep my eye on the chickenhead. I do still have warranty so will return
    it if it starts to malfunction.

Thanks! :)

Regards
    Georg