KPA led screen froze in tuning mode.

• Has anyone experienced this?

It happened for the first (and hopefully last) time last night at a gig, on the very first song! Argh! Luckily the sounds and pedal were still active and that I'd memorised my stomp layouts. However it completely threw me, and despite 10 years gigging experience turned me into a nervous wreck for the 1st 3 songs.

I applied the latest patch 2.3.2 yesterday and i use the FCB1010.

The problem fixed itself when I rebooted the KPA after the first song. That boot up time felt like hours whilst audience members stood there waiting for the next song to start.

I hope it doesn't happen again! :s

• sorry Gunho,can you advice better? what do you mean by freezing in tuning mode?

Let me get it better: you were playing normally and suddenly the kpa turned to tuner mode?

you updated to the last firmware one day before the show?

let us know a bit more detailed.

as a rule of thumb: NEVER update prior to a recording or live gig.
    basically you update far from things like the mentioned and go live or recording only after thorough testing.
    sorry: saying this doesn't get you back in time to avoid the issue, but it will be a good lesson for the future.

get us more details, starting from the confirmation you did a system reset after updating to 2.3.2.

take care

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

"Rock in Ecclesia" - new album on iTunes or Google music

• Oh I completely agree, a lesson certainly learnt!

Next time I will be upgrading way in advance, even though I've never had any issues before.

Anyway, to give you more detail:

I'd had a good few hours playing about with the kemper (after upgrading) at home, and then at the venue for sound check. No hint of any issues.

Just before our set starts I get on stage and turn my KPA on. I put it straight into performance mode. I use the volume pedal on the FCB1010 to activate tuning mode (when pedal is depressed to 0) and make sure my guitar is in tune.

I then set my guitar's volume to 0 before activating the pedal again to quickly double check that all my rigs for the set are in the correct place.

We're now about to start. I depress the volume pedal again to activate tuning mode so that I'm ready to stomp into the song. (The other guitarist starts the song and I come in on the 2nd verse)

For some reason the obsessive compulsive in me wants to make sure I'm in the correct rig for the song. So again, with the guitar's own volume set to 0, I press on the volume pedal to deactivate tuning mode in order to see which rig I'm using. Only this time the screen on the KPA was locked/frozen on tuning mode (with the meter also frozen) and so I start to panic.

By this time it's too late in the song to to get everyone to stop playing, and therefore I attempt to risk it. Luckily the controls on the pedal still worked and I was in the correct rig (phew!) but the screen on the KPA still showed the tuning meter as frozen.

After the song, I played with the main dial, and moved it from performance, to browser and then to tuner and back again. The screen was still frozen. Therefore I rebooted the KPA and everything was then fine.

Hopefully that's a good insight.

• definitely a detailed description! someone will read this and will share with you some possible solution. I'm currently not using performance since I custom mapped my pedalboard to my needs. I have a rocktron all access.

hang on in there!

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

"Rock in Ecclesia" - new album on iTunes or Google music

• I've seen the KPA locking up in tuner-mode if the tuner is activated both with the mode-knob (or foot-switch) and with the volume expression pedal at 0. It doesn't require a reboot to get it going again, but a mode-change with the chickenhead-switch is required.

To reproduce start with a rig where 0-vol activates the tuner with exp-pedal volume on full:
    1. Turn the chickenhead to tuner (or use a footswitch configured to trigger the tuner)
    2. Move exp-pedal to 0-vol. (trigger tuner activation again)
    3. Turn chickenhead back to browse (or performance). The display now seems normal ... but ..
    4. Turn up the volume with the exp-pedal and the display goes back to tuner.
    The KPA now remains in tuner-mode, but with audio on regardless of the mute-flag in the tuner config. No rig-change is possible without first changing the mode with the chickenhead-knob. The only things the KPA responds to in this state is the volume-pedal and the mode-knob.

The behaviour is the same if I use a simple expression-pedal instead of the one on my FCB1010 so the problem is not MIDI-related. The "locked" state of the tuner can be activated both by the mode-knob and a footswitch, but resolving the problem can only be done via the front-panel switch. Switching on/off tuner-mode with an assigned foot-switch in this state changes nothing. This is quite annoying if you're using a foot-controller and not standing next to the KPA. You have to walk up to the box to turn the knob to tuner, then back to "browse" or "performance" to regain control.

I have changed the range of the exp-pedal globally to disable tuner activation at zero volume, and use a separate foot-switch (on/off) for the tuner in addition to my FCB1010 to avoid this problem. Btw, the pedal-range with the "lock flag" in the system menu isn't fully global. It has to be set separately for Browse and for Performance mode. The unfortunate side-effect is that this also affects other settings such as the position of the volume control in the signal-chain which I very much would like to be able to vary between rigs. Therefore I'd like to have this treated as a bug. A truly global flag on the tuner screen next to the mute flag to enable/disable tuner-activation at zero-volume would also be appreciated.

Edited 7 times, last by heldal ().

• Man, I got nervous as I was reading your detailed explanation. I too am a little OCD when it comes to making sure I am in the place I am supposed to be waiting for my part in a song to start. Every now and again I will throw a note in to make sure I am all good. Funny the things we do.

• Man, I got nervous as I was reading your detailed explanation. I too am a little OCD when it comes to making sure I am in the place I am supposed to be waiting for my part in a song to start. Every now and again I will throw a note in to make sure I am all good. Funny the things we do.

Haha yes! Sometimes a note in a song i've played about 200 times previously, all of a sudden looks "wrong" and and i'll convince myself that it is and then go in on 2 frets below, and then bend up to the correct note when i realised i've gone wrong haha!