What is the most"Hey Joe" sounding profile?

• As opposed to a few days ago, I can offer some suggestions :)

Here's the most important part for profile selection and playing it (my apologies if this is too obvious, but I know a lot of players who never touch their guitar controls):
    Set the gain for the solo sound, with your guitar turned up all the way, playing those lines with that emotional quality. When you pull back the guitar volume (on the guitar, not with a pedal), you will get that sparkly chords sound, and it will respond to your playing dynamics and pickup changes. Most of that "clank" is coming from the way you hit the strings. Lean into a strat with the gain set as above, and pretty much any blackface or JTM will give you the sound. Turn up the guitar some, or all the way, for the incidental and solo lines.

My guess is he just turned his amps all the way up, and tamed the treble enough on them for a bridge pickup sound (I hear it in some of the overdubbed lines) . The tone controls for the other two pickups may also be useful - it will depend on the individual guitar.

There may be some fuzz in this particular song, but if so, it is subtle enough for the amp gain to cover it for me.

In Discussion boards, some say it was a Blackface or Tweed Fender, some say a JTM Marshall. Any of those will get you there - the Blackface or JTM are closest (the Tweed Fenders usually have more midrange).

The "studio" sound is pretty easy to get, with any vintage sounding clean-ish Fender-ish amp. I haven't settled on one yet. There are some overdubbed parts, panned to the side - I may use something slightly different for those, but he probably didn't ;)

Needless to say, for the original "live" sound, JTM Marshall, with the gain set for the Live solo sound, and pull the guitar volume back for chords.

You may have to dial the gain back on some of these (and maybe turn off effects that are there for other songs):

Some from the Rig Exchange -
    Hendrix Blues Blackf
    GB 18 watt St Hendrix
    Hendrix Little Wing
    DP 64 Bassman
    AGL Marshall

Some Factory rigs -
    TAF-Go Jimi Go
    TAF-JTM Push
    UWE JTM (several rigs)
    Blackface Bass Dimed
    S. Mehl 50 (several rigs)