Steely Dan FM ultra clean

• Anyone have a profile/rig suggestion for the spanky ultra clean compressed intro in Steely Dan's "FM"? It almost sounds like it was recorded direct off a DI into the console. The reverb is important too so thoughts on that would be appreciated. Closest I can get is Bad Kitty Clean 2.

Edited 2 times, last by MLScola ().

• Hi I think the intro is done on nylon stings or at least a piezzo equiped guitar or maybe a strat in position 2 or 4 with tone & vol pot dialed down a lot ...

You'd better search for acoustic amps ( from the Kemper rig packs ) , or try a piezzo guitar without the AMP section activated . Also try de-activating the CAB. There are also a few pre-amps rigs out there on the rig exchange.

Working the verb / delays / comp pedal carefully will set you in the right direction also.

• Hey Waraba, just want you to know your suggestion to turn off the CAB did the trick, definitely gives me that ultra clean sound, much like Steely Dan's FM. There's probably not a lot of call for that tone but if someone ever needs it all they have to do is: find a clean profile, flip the cab off and voila!... instant guitar direct into the console effect.

Follow up: After living with the "cab off" tone for awhile, I noticed it would clip/pop the output occasionally. I mean a bad POP. After more experimenting, I switched the cab back on with the Factory Acoustic B setting which tamed the popping but kept the key direct to console snappiness. Much better now.

Edited once, last by MLScola ().