Bug Report - Deleting Rigs from my Kemper

• Running Rig Manager Public Beta 1.0 #3 64-bit version, 2.3.3 public beta firmware on my Kemper.

I had used previous versions of the Rig Manager without issue. I had / have about 250 profiles on my Kemper, and I had about 40 of them favorited. I opened the profiles on my Kemper, sorted by favorites, and copied all the non-favorites out, which seemed to work fine. Then I selected all the non-favorites and deleted them. They deleted in the Rig Manager interface okay. I looked over at my Kemper and noticed it just had the big "KEMPER PROFILER" text on it like it was booting up, but with no progress bar. So I give it a while to see if anything will happen, nothing does, so I turn it off and then turn it back on. Nothing was deleted from my Kemper, and now when I load Rig Manager it starts "syncing rigs" and it looks like it will take the better part of an hour, which is strange; it never took that long to sync with the same number of rigs when Rig Manager first came out.

We'll see what happens I guess if this ever finishes, but it looks like there's some issue with deleting a large number of rigs from the Kemper. I'm going to try deleting them again in smaller batches I guess.

Edit: Even more bizzare. My Kemper itself is still showing ALL the profiles (~250 of them), but in Rig Manager after "sync" it shows 70, which is a very strange number. Help!

Edit 2: So I selected again, the non-favorites Rig Manager decided weren't deleted (about 20 of them, to bring the total down to just 50, just my favorites). My Kemper was still showing all 250 profiles. I deleted them successfully, but then noticed I only had 43 favorites somehow, so I guess some of my favorites were deleted.

This is pretty bizzare and buggy. I'm scared to use Rig Manager now, honestly. It isn't worth the convenience if every time I do something innocuous I risk corrupting the profiles on my Kemper or losing favorites somehow.

Edit 3: I decided to go through on my Kemper and just tediously delete my non-favorites because it was safer. Got about maybe 20 deleted, then it crashed with the same screen as when Rig Manager was trying to delete them (just showing the text "KEMPER PROFILER") as if it was booting, but nothing happening.

Last Edit: After rebooting the damn thing again and continuing to manually delete the non-favorite profiles from my Kemper, I was able to finish purging them. I did another backup because jesus, you can't trust Rig Manager apparently, and then fired it up. This time no long sync, and finally the Kemper and Rig Manager were showing the correct number of profiles.

There's a few bugs here:

Bug 1) The Kemper can apparently crash when deleting certain profiles. The profile that caused it to crash when deleting with Rig Manager is certainly the same one that caused it to crash when I was deleting manually.
    Bug 2) Rig Manager assumes once it was issued the delete commands to the Kemper that everything went smoothly. There does not appear to be any kind of acknowledgement or actual check for success when deleting profiles, causing the out of sync issue.
    Bug 3) After this has happens, when the local database and Kemper are out of sync, it causes extremely long delays when launching Rig Manager, and even after it is finished, they still aren't in sync.

Edited 5 times, last by parlance ().

• It's a pity. Replicating an issue is one small step ahead of fixing the bug. If you encounter it again, please let us know.

I understand the difficulty in fixing the bug if it cannot be replicated. In this case though it might be tough; deleting the profile that causes it to crash DOES actually successfully delete the profile in question, so you would need to a person to have by chance have a recent backup which included the profile of death; after you encounter the bug it's too late and the bad profile is gone.

As for the other stuff though, the issues with Rig Manager sync, that just seems like basic design changes; Rig Manager shouldn't assume that rig delete commands issued to the Kemper have executed successfully, and should verify the results.

• I understand the difficulty in fixing the bug if it cannot be replicated. In this case though it might be tough; deleting the profile that causes it to crash DOES actually successfully delete the profile in question, so you would need to a person to have by chance have a recent backup which included the profile of death; after you encounter the bug it's too late and the bad profile is gone.

As for the other stuff though, the issues with Rig Manager sync, that just seems like basic design changes; Rig Manager shouldn't assume that rig delete commands issued to the Kemper have executed successfully, and should verify the results.

please send us the the following log file: "Documents\KemperAmps\RigManager\DebugLog.txt" - maybe we can see something in there.
    thanks, gs

Get in touch with Profiler online support team here

• Yesterday I backed up the profiler and deleted about 200 rigs from it using Rig Manager. The next time I booted up the Profiler and launched Rig Manager, the syncing process started and went on for about 40 minutes. When the process finished the Rig Manager said there were 540 rigs on the Profiler. If I scrolled through the rigs on the profiler it said that I had 740 rigs e.g. "650 of 740 rigs" etc.

I had already read of the problem on this thread so I took a copy of the DebugLog.txt file and also ran a backup of the profiler using a USB stick. I copied the backup file to my PC with a view to sending it and the log to Kemper Support to help them identify and fix this problem. I then noticed that the new backup file was only 2/3 the size of the backup file I had taken before deleting the 200 rigs! I unzipped the file and saw it only had 540 rigs in it!

So I immediately restored the new back up file to the Profiler and "Hey Presto" only 540 rigs were restored and when I relaunched Rig Manager the syncing process was a only a matter of seconds! My profiler did not crash at any stage.

Hopefully this information will help solve the problem of prolonged syncing. I still have the text and backup file if they are of use to Kemper Support.

• please send the files and thanks a lot
    gs

Hi GS, I am happy to send the files. I have looked at the Kemper Support site and clicked on the Email tab, but cannot see an obvious means of attaching files or obtaining a support reference number. What is the procedure please?

Also, I have my KPA backup files before and after deleting the rig files, shall I send both?

• Hi GS, I am happy to send the files. I have looked at the Kemper Support site and clicked on the Email tab, but cannot see an obvious means of attaching files or obtaining a support reference number. What is the procedure please?

Also, I have my KPA backup files before and after deleting the rig files, shall I send both?

oups. you're right. please send everything to support @ kemper-amps . c 0 m
    thanks, gs

Get in touch with Profiler online support team here